Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finnaly got around to replacing the clicking left side drive axel on my 1993 Ford Taurus. Well, after doing so, the NEW one clicks worse than the old one! Its a remanufactured one I bought from O'Rileys autoparts. They said I should take the car to a mechanic and have it varified that it is the CV axel and get an estimate to repair it, then call the manager back. Well, I went to two repair shops today and despite saying "OPEN" and the gates being unlocked, no one was there and the doors were locked. Just my damn luck. I was going to use this weeks check to buy new spark plugs but I may as well wait until this situation is resolved. Next, the power steering leak will be addressed (going to have the mechanic check it out when he checks out the CV axel).

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
John I feel your Pain, I "use to" work for a CV axle reuilding company, and I know what kind of crap that they try to pull to get the axles out there, cheap rebuilding and such,

I do know if you can, sometimes depending on the Parts company, and the rebuilding company, you can ask to see if they have remanned axles with new outboard joints.... Yes there is such things, there are a few companies out there that manafacture them,

so that is definitly somthing to ask, becase then you would know that you'd be getting a peice of mind... (but I bet you that they'd be using cheap boots on there as well.... :angry: oh well, )

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hey John I'm just wondering what that clicking sound is like. Is it a heavy click that you can also feel. I'm asking because ever since I had my driver side wheel bearing replaced I've had a clunking sound on slow turns. Mostly on right turns into parking spots or onto highway ramps and such. The clunk I'm experiencing I can also feel. Originally it was obviously coming from the driver side wheel area and it has moved to more of a central area. I feel it under the floor pan.

I asked the shop and they heard it and tested everything and said everything is tight and are guessing it is the stabalizer bar starting to fail and that to wait until it happens with more frequency. It's been a couple months and hasn't gotten worse, if anything a little less often. It is just one click evey time, like a flat spot on the top of a ball joint possibly. Owner of the shop said after a car is on a lift sometimes you experience things like that because of the different way the wheels a springs hang. My friend is the mechanic that worked on it and inspected it so I have a lot of faith in this shop.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did not take the "new" axel apart or anything, I simply installed it exactly how the old one came out and it is working, the transaxel is sending power to that wheel. But it clicks.

Viper: I'd think you better look elsewhere for the source of your noise. Mine is a pronounced click but you can barely feel it, if at all. Yours does sound like a suspension or steering concern, not a CV axel but I'm not a professional.

I stopped by a shop today and had the car looked at. The technition (owner of the shop) agreed 100% with me on the noise and the fact that the axel is defective. He said that he was booked up today but if I brought the car back tomarow, he'd diagnose the power steering leak (which is getting much worse!) for about $20. That sounds farily reasnoble since no one I've had to look at it can find the specific leak. That also includes a complete flush of the power steering system and new fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts