Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad and I were having a bit of a debate about general/preventative maintenance to cars. His motto is "Don't fix it if it isn't broke." I strongly disagree. (He does oil changes though...)
For example, his old 01 Chrysler Sebring Lx that he sold at 100k this july, How bad do you think the following is...
Still had the factory battery(she was a SLOW cranker in the winter)
Still had the original factory tires :blink: (Holy dry-rot batman)
Factory Coolant
Factory P/S fluid
Factory spark plugs+Wires(If you started the car, moved it over in the driveway and then started it later, the whole car shook)
Transmission fluid was changed once.
Factory Timing and Acc. belts.
Factory Air Filter..(I removed a colony of various insects out of there)
Factory Fuel Filter.
Drove it until a wheel bearing basically seized.

I still **** bricks thinking about that car. I know everyone else here is pretty good about their maintenance.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Unless he's fronting the dough for YOUR car/maintenance/insurance do your own thing just do it while your out doing OTHER errands, that way it won't matter. If he IS fronting for your car/etc, then either get a job and pay for everything yourself, or be quiet and realize how good you have things.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only thing I don't pay is insurance. But cmon, stock tires at 100k??

·
Premium Member
1,557 Posts
There's another thread on here that says that stock tires shouldn't be used for more than 6 years or so. You risk them falling apart at highway speeds and many people have died because the tires they had were 9-11 years old.

I'm actually surprised that the stock tires lasted for 100k, there must have been a change in there somewhere. I can't get a set to last more than 30-50k, even ones that have an 80k treadlife. Anyway, maybe he doesn't value his life or your life that much, or even other people's lives that much.

Let's see, let's go down the list, factory battery. Well I had one last 8 years and I know that was pushing it. I've never really changed the P/S fluid, it's not really on the list of things to change in the maintenance manual but I guess if it was starting to go bad maybe I would. As for plugs and wires, lots of cars have 100k change intervals with platinum plugs, I've let mine go to 60-80k before changing them. I'm surprised the wheel bearings seized, they're usually sealed so no need to repack them. Just one of those things that will go. I can see some people forgetting to change the fuel and air filter. Those oil change places typically check the air filter these days so maybe it did get changed once.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
I tend to be overly cautious w/ tires and brakes. I probably replace them before they need to be. I also tend to buy "better" batteries and have been avergaing atleast 5+ years with them. With the amount of miles people are avergaing in this day and age, regular transmission fluid changes is good insurance.

·
Premium Member
4,180 Posts
even as a parts salesmen. i dont think thats all that horrible depending on the condition of said filters.

on our 97 econoline 4.6L. its at about 97600 right now. changed air filter twice, did ball joints, all tierods, front brakes, tires once a while back. still on original plugs and wires, never had a coolant flush, but i did do a radiator only drain and refill before winter. and the thing still runs like a champ. still on original motorcraft battery too. starts up just fine in the winter.

in springtime i do have all the parts to do a complete 100k. plugs, wires, pcv, coolant flush, thermostat, fuel filter and i think other stuff too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts