Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Cylinder misfiring

18K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  sheila 
#1 ·
The check engine light came on last night on my 2004, 24 valve V6. I got home, and hooked up my OBD2 scanner, and it says that cylinder number 3 is misfiring. Any ideas of what it might be? Number 3 would have to be in the back. I Google the cylinder order, and it said that number 3 would be the one closest to the driver. My first guess would be the plug, or coil pack. I read a recent 2003 thread about changing the plugs. I don't know if the 04 is the same. I can tell you this, there is no way I can get my hands in there to change the plugs or coil packs. If I change one plug, I'm going to change them all. The car has about 65,000 miles on it, and they are the original plugs. I bought the car new in 04. Any ideas on what is causing the misfire?

To change the plugs and coil packs, what all needs to come off the top of the motor. I will do the work myself, I just need to know what all I need to remove. Thanks for the help.

Is this the cylinder order.

1 2 3
4 5 6
Front
of car

#4 ·
Pulling the UIM doesn't look like it's very difficult. I thought I might have to take the LIM off too. I'm a big guy with big hands, so it's hard to get into some of those tight spots. Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.