Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question 1: on a 2001 Vulcan, do cylinders 2 and 5 share the same coil on the coil pack? Had both these codes come up at the same time a few days ago and was wondering if maybe this could be the issue. Found one thread on here that said 2/5 fire at the same time, another said that 2/5 are on different coils.

If not, is there any other single issue that could cause both these to misfire at the same time?

History.....

I have more info on this thread from a while back... here .... Replaced the bad plug (#2) and has run alright for a while now.

About a week ago I got a misfire on cyl 2 again.... replaced the plug (was very badly fouled up with oil(?)) and kept on going. 3 days later, have 2 + 5 codes. Haven't had time to look at 2 again or 5, but will tomorrow. Just wondering if anyone has any idea what this could be.

Question 2: Is it possible for an oil leak to cause these issues? Leak on plug... cause misfire?

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
2. Absolutely. Check for oil running down the plug side of the head, either from a leaking valve cover gasket or a sloppy oil change.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok. I went ahead and had the valve cover gaskets replaced (second time) and replaced all the plugs myself. I thought that the oil running down onto the plugs was causing the misfire. I'm sure it's not helping, but now I'm not sure if it's the root cause of this problem.

The valve cover gaskets are still leaking (same guy replaced, still leak) and now I'm getting a cylinder 2 and 4 misfire instead of 2 and 5.

If it's 2 and 4 instead of 2/5, would coil pack still make sense?

BTW, plugs were replaced with new BWG set about a year and a half ago, plugs have probably been replaced three times since due to them getting fouled up.

Could a "weak" coil cause the plugs to keep getting fouled up, leading up to the misfire issue? Every time the plugs are replaced it runs like a brand new car for a little while, then it starts running like crap (like now).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts