Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over 17 years and roughly 450,000 miles with a variety of Taurus's & Sables, I've never once had to replace a CV joint. Have I been extraordinarily lucky, or are they extraordinarily tough?

Tom in Indiana

·
Registered
799 Posts
I'm thinking tough. I've logged about 200k amongst three Taurus', two of them SHO's. The only halfshaft I had to replace was out of my own stupidity. The boot was cracked and I let it go and it ruined the joint.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I went ahead and replaced them in my 94 at 246K because the transmission was out but they were still fine.

My 2000 has about 234K on it and they are still fine except for a torn boot.

Mike
B)

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
I changed mine because I had a set of rebuilds handy. But never had a problem.

Now the Festiva is always doing the clackety-clack when turning sharply. But it hasn't fallen apart yet.

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
I'm still on the original axle shafts at ~125k. They've been removed several times for various service, but never replaced with new ones. The car was lowered for about 60k. I picked up a spare set just in case though...
[/b]

I am disappointed in you Luke. I would have figured you would pick up a spare car .

Mike
:lol2:

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
My CV's only made it to around 49k. When I got the car the boots were torn and had been for a while so the joints were rusty. I decided to replace them rather then rebuild them due to cost.

-Alex

·
Registered
207 Posts
At close to 400,000 miles (all mine) spread over three Taurii, I've never had a CV joint fail.

·
Premium Member
918 Posts
I have had torn boots. Boots were replaced at dealer (before I was in the DIY mood) and replaced both shafts when I was replaceing hubs. One boot had a pinhole in it so I thought might as well do it while everything was apart.

I think the main failure is going ot be a torn boot that allows the joint to go dry of grease. If the boots are kept in good shape, they should be fine.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
SHOZ123,
Where can I buy the tape?
I have a small tear in ball joint boot (not Taurus). Will it work if I carefully clean up the tear?
Thanks.

Last time I had a CV boot failure from aging was 1982 (?) Plymouth Champ. Since then, I have never experienced CV boot failure from aging. When found a torn CV boot on 2005 Taurus, I was so surprised. But it was a cut, not from aging.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Large hardware stores would have this in their electrical departments.

If you can get it to cover the split it will work. It has to be clean though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts