Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cv boot broke I think...I'm leaking grease on the floor from my ride front side tire, so I'm gonna guess this is my CV boot broke so should I take it into ford and get them to do it, or should I just change it myself and how hard would something like this task be?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Just replace the halfshaft yourself. You can get them for around $50 now.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Check out the thread about CV Axles. Everyone is telling me it's pretty easy. I have to do both of mine in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by sundarpn@Feb 10 2004, 09:02 PM
gbUll, PL post pictures as you change
Time for someone to break down and buy a Chilton's manual....

·
Registered
549 Posts
Since a whole new shaft is only around $50, to most people it's not worth the hassle of disassembling the joint to get a new boot on. You could try a split boot but most people say they don't work well. I have never tried one since remaned shafts are so cheap. Do you know how long the boot has been leaking. Chances are some dirt has gotten in there and the lack of grease also contributes to added wear.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Replace the whole shaft. Putting on a new boot will only allow the chance for more dirt to get in there. You have already exposed it to the weather and I would not take the chance.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I had the cv boot problem...FYI, I was checking the car when I went to PepBoys to buy a dremel tool they had on sale...Lo and behold the crack got siginificantly bigger, so I just decided to forget the cv axle and get a split boot to fix it right away.

The whole thing took about 1 1/2 hours - pretty simple job, albeit very messy (axle grease...yuck, I suggest wearing rubber gloves and something to cover your forearms if you ever consider doing this). Hardest part was probably cleaning the axle of the old grease, and packing it in with new grease (I used brake cleaner, and old brush, a whole bunch of old newspapers and rags...I tried not to spray any brake cleaner directly into the bearings, just around the shaft and the outer perimeter of the hub...I guess). The old grease that I cleaned out of the bearings was still pretty consistent and was not gritty at all, so I caught the problem just in the nick of time.

Oh yeah, if you're thinking of going with a split boot, don't get the motormite ones pepboys sells...it secures together via small nuts and bolts that can be a pain if you have grease hands.

The day before the incident, I got a quote from my mechanic of $140 for a new cv axle + labor (seem's like an ok price). I'm in a weird situation where I'll be getting another car in the spring, and with the headgasket problems I'm having on the car, replacing the boot myself was the best option for me. If you're going to be keeping your car for an indefinite amount of time, just go with everyone else's advice and get the whole shaft replaced.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts