Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE-S, with the Duratec engine with 145,000 miles.

I dropped off a car for an oil change and the serviceman mentioned that one of my CV boots is starting to fail. He quoted me $285 to replace the boot. (I didn't ask about the halfrod)

I got the car home, put it up on my ramps and sure enough, the outer boot on the front driver's side axle is spitting some grease out. The boot itself looks better than good, it looks and feels great. The clamp (or whatever you wanna call it) that squeezes the small end against the rod is not tight and that's what seems to be causing the problem. I seemed to have the problem for at least a little while because the rod is caked in grease.

Is there a way to inject more grease back into the boot and simply tighten/replace the clamp. That seems to be the culprit?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I would just replace the halfshaft. They're not that expensive, and at 145K, you're going to be due soon. I replaced my halfshafts on my Sable at about 105K, and my buddy's Sable needs them done at 110K. I think the clamps are ear clamps, and I don't think you can replace them.

JR

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

The shafts have been replaced in the past... lets just say I've had to replace CV boots before... one of those times I chose to ignore it until I started hearing the clicking noises whenever I turned the wheel in one direction.

Anyways, is there any way to shoot grease back into an already installed boot?

I have a feeling the answer is no. Right now I simply put a zip tie to tighten the boot's grip on the rod. I cleaned it up, as well as someone with a rag under a car on ramps could. That grease sure is nasty.

I'll take another look at the rod in a week to see if its still clean rendering my zip tie as (a) helping (B) not helping © unknown, because I already lost all the grease.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
If the clamp has failed, maybe you can remove it, slip the boot back, fill it with grease, then slip the boot back on and use a 4-6" hose clamp to secure it. Just a thought...
[/b]
+1

Shade tree mechanics FTW :x:

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
If the clamp has failed, maybe you can remove it, slip the boot back, fill it with grease, then slip the boot back on and use a 4-6" hose clamp to secure it. Just a thought...
[/b]
Yeah you can re-grease the joint in-car, and any clamp that will clear obstructions while rotating will work. Re-check it each time you change your oil. You can buy packs of CV boot clamps of various sizes. If the boot isn't dry rotted I would hold on to that $300.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK. That sounds very positive.

I guess I just have to find a way to shoot the grease in an already installed CV Boot... Hopefully the auto parts store will have some cool gizmo...(I'm not counting on it though)

That grease really does not like to be washed off hands. I gotta be more careful when working with this stuff.

·
Registered
834 Posts
OK. That sounds very positive.

I guess I just have to find a way to shoot the grease in an already installed CV Boot... Hopefully the auto parts store will have some cool gizmo...(I'm not counting on it though)

That grease really does not like to be washed off hands. I gotta be more careful when working with this stuff.
[/b]
Any decent autoparts store will sell a grease gun....even sears autocenter has them. As far as getting the stuff off your hands...have you tried a pummus soap like GoJo...that stuff is great.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
^ That stuff is good. I started using disposable gloves when working on the car.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think my question is where do I shove the grease in to? If I get a grease gun, how do I shoot it into the already installed boot?

I have Gojo. It helps, but I ended up rubbing some degreaser on my hands as well. Gojo alone wasn't doing it.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You should just buy 2 clamps, one for each end. You most likely won't be able to get grease into the small end, as the shaft is pretty much the same size as the small end of the boot. Cut the clamp on the larger end of the boot, push it towards the small end, and squirt grease all over in there, then slide the large end of the boot over the outer cv joint, and re-clamp both ends. The auto parts store should be able to show you how to use cv boot clamps, or rent the clamping tool.
-Bobby

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Just push the grease into the ball bearings with your fingers. Keep packing until it's full. You're going to get dirty one way or the other.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
DO NOT!!!!!!! CUT THE BOOT. IF the clamp is just loose on the large side which doesn't happen too often. Pull the old clamp off, slide the boot back a little, enought to get the end of the grease gun in there, and pump it full. Slide the boot back onto the back of the joint, slide the clamp around it, and tighten the clamp, done. You're most likely looking at replacing the whole axle as USUALLY the bot gets dry and cracks thus slinging grease everywhere.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts