Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,
There was a post this past week regarding replacing the CV axles and whether or not that is something that's very difficult for the average DIY, there wasn't really ever a reply to that question. I've got a '92 Vulcan that needs both replaced, I've carefully read through the chilton's procedure and it seems pretty straight forward. A little worried about the warning regarding not letting the differential gears because misaligned in the tranny but wanted your input regarding the job as a whole. Thanks a ton!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have done them. They are not very hard at all to do. I remember my Chilton's manual listed some special tools for this job, but you don't really need them. If you do one of them at a time you don't need to worry about the diff. gear thing either.

B

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by dIESEL600@Feb 8 2004, 03:19 PM
I have done them. They are not very hard at all to do. I remember my Chilton's manual listed some special tools for this job, but you don't really need them. If you do one of them at a time you don't need to worry about the diff. gear thing either.

Not that hard at all.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In regards to doing them one at a time like you mention, Chilton's states that the right side should be removed first so that then the left one can be pushed out through the tranny. Is it just possible to pull them out for their respective sides?

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by gtbull@Feb 8 2004, 07:33 PM
In regards to doing them one at a time like you mention, Chilton's states that the right side should be removed first so that then the left one can be pushed out through the tranny. Is it just possible to pull them out for their respective sides?
Yes it is. I don't know why they say you have to do it that way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I replaced my right one, piece of cake. The only problem I had was that NAPA gave me the wrong part. so it was too long and I couldn't get the wheel hub back on. but other than that snag it was a sinch. the thing to look out for is there is a retaining ring at the end inside the diff. if you get the wrong axle the ring will be too big and you'll never get the axle back out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The only thing I've been reading is that the left side may be difficult to access in terms of getting leverage to pry it out of the tranny. Which is why the service manual says to push it out from the other side, which I'm not real keen on doing because of the whole side gear issue. Do they pull out pretty easily, like should I be able to grab them firmly and they just slide out?

By the way, thanks to all that have replied. You guys are saving me a ton of money.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Originally posted by gtbull@Feb 10 2004, 11:10 AM
The only thing I've been reading is that the left side may be difficult to access in terms of getting leverage to pry it out of the tranny. Which is why the service manual says to push it out from the other side, which I'm not real keen on doing because of the whole side gear issue. Do they pull out pretty easily, like should I be able to grab them firmly and they just slide out?

By the way, thanks to all that have replied. You guys are saving me a ton of money.
You may be able to just pull them out, but I used a pry bar, which made it very easy. Just slip the flat end of the pry bar right in where the shaft goes into the tranny, and give it a twist. It should pop right out. The new shafts will snap in fairly easily.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts