Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing my front right(sitting inside car) cv axle and need some insight fast as im doing the job tomorrow.

Need to know if i have to drop the tranny pan.

I saw on the new cv axle it looks as if there is some kind of retaining clip that hold the shalft in to tranny. Is this correct?

I can get everything off the shaft...thats the easy part but dislodging it from the tranny is something i havnt done before.

Does the cv axle just slide out?

Thank you for the help on advanced!!

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
what year??
lol just read the whole thing... the circlip on the end that goes into the diff. use a little pry bar or screwdriver to pry the shaft out of the trans till the circlip releases. should pull right out after that

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what year??
lol just read the whole thing... the circlip on the end that goes into the diff. use a little pry bar or screwdriver to pry the shaft out of the trans till the circlip releases. should pull right out after that
Its an 04'

So i dont have to drop the trans pan or anything like that? Then the new one just pops right back in, yeah?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
no dropping of the pan. however have you changed your trans filter and fluid? from what i hear it recommended to do every 50 to 60 thousand on that trans. when you put the new shaft in make sure the end clicks into the diff, if not you will have a leak.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no dropping of the pan. however have you changed your trans filter and fluid? from what i hear it recommended to do every 50 to 60 thousand on that trans. when you put the new shaft in make sure the end clicks into the diff, if not you will have a leak.

awesome! im assumming that there will be some trans fluid that comes out. about how much you think might come out, if any? and no i havent changed it yet. What type of tranny fluid is required? Might be hard to find here in England. The filter kit i can order from Autozone and shipped to APO.

Thank You

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Only a few ounces max will dribble out.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
you might lose may a half quart at the most. when i pull the shaft i have the new one ready to go in so i normally dont lose enough to even have to add. that trans holds alot of trans fluid. i think its 13 or 14 quarts. if i remember right is mercon v . use only the mercon v...

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
no problem. you should have a tie rod end and ball joint just in case. you can always return unused parts. i hate running to the store in the middle of a repair.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I agree with the extra ball joint & tie rod.. you never know!
the axle should easily slide out with a mini pry-bar. don't worry, you won't lose much fluid.. and if you need to top off, I'd highly recommend a bottle of Lubegard Red.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts