Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new to me 87 wagon appears to have a 1 inch tear in the driver's side CV outboard boot (one nearest the wheel). Guess I will be doing CV axles as well.

RockAuto had Cardone Select and A1 Cardone for sale...same company (cardone), but not sure what the difference is. Anyone have any experience with them? Cardone and NAPA carry the same 3 yr/36K warranty.

NAPA sells their inhouse brand stamped on the box, when they are actually Cardone branded ones. OReillys sells MasterPro which oddly have the same exact part # as A-1 Cardone. Advance has some no name brands. AutoZone's pricing/warranty is not really any better. Oreillys and Autzone have a Limited Lifetime, but fine print would indicate I am hosed if I have to replace it, as warranty for replacement is 90 days long--no thanks.

Should I also go ahead and replace the shaft seal too? RockAuto has a Motorcraft one listed: E1FZ1S177A Cheap too, $11/side.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Cardone Select is Cardone's 'New' line of products (CV axles, wiper motors, etc), no remans, all brand new parts. Quality wise there is no difference between the Selects and the remans, mainly just a price point to sell to the customer (New is easier to sell since it has no stipulation of core charge, and in most cases is only $10 to $15 more expensive than the reman's final exchange price).

For the past two years I have worked for O'Reilly Auto Parts, a store manager now, I can tell you, the only "limited" part of our lifetime warranties (Whether it is on CV axles, wiper motors, or even brake pads) is transfer of warranty when the vehicle is sold. We have an opt out for people who abuse us on those warranties, when it is obvious the vehicle has been raced or used commercially, but the company does not grill us on warranty percentages, so we are more apt to take care of our customers than the competition.

Masterpro is our house name brand, make no mistake, there is an A-1 Cardone reman CV axle in that box. You might as well replace the seal since you are pulling the axle.

·
'MT5 Plus' Wagon Builder
1,235 Posts
New axles are a good idea along with new seals. My thoughts are that you may never have to replace them again normally. Have you thought about upgrading to '94 / '95 spindles for the brakes later on? You can do so much soo much with a Gen 1, I had a '86 '87 and a '88 during the the early 1990's and wish I knew then- what I know now.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi 84FordMan (sorry don't know your name).

Hmm...this is good information.

I have no problem with reman, be happy to return old parts so they can be reused and not throw away, added to scrap heaps.

So by purchasing "MasterPro" (wink wink Cardone) from O'Reillys, I will have a Lifetime Warranty on the axles. The price from Napa on these same ("Cardone") axles is $10 cheaper, but I only have a 3 yr/36K warranty.

In your experience as a store manager, how has the quality been with axles from Cardone? Not a fan of having to redo work from product defects (which are going to happen, completely understandable), but is there a X% failure rate you've witnessed?

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New axles are a good idea along with new seals. My thoughts are that you may never have to replace them again normally. Have you thought about upgrading to '94 / '95 spindles for the brakes later on? You can do so much soo much with a Gen 1, I had a '86 '87 and a '88 during the the early 1990's and wish I knew then- what I know now.
I Know once the rear brakes need replacing, I will be purchasing rear disc setup for the rear to rid the car of drums (hopefully that can wait until next year).

I thought about it, but not sure what benefit I receive from the upgraded spindles? I know I can use the same CV axles since the part #s are the same. I'd like to examine this though for the future...

Not cheap owning a 25 year old car :lol:

·
Spend my 02¢ wisely...
2,337 Posts
I thought about it, but not sure what benefit I receive from the upgraded spindles?
Upgrading to the 94/95 spindles will allow you to upgrade to the bigger 11.6" front discs from a '96-'99 SHO or '01+ Taurus. I did the swap on my '93 SHO back in the day as well as my current 2000. The difference in stopping power and fade resistance is huge. You could change the spindles while you have them out to change the axles, then if you decide to do the upgrade down the road all you need is caliper brackets, pads and rotors for a '96-'99 SHO or '01+ Taurus.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I would offer our brand new axles that we sell: Drivetrain- Axle/Halfshaft - SHO Source

They come with a 2yr warranty and they have held up very well even seeing use on the GI SHO on the race track. I can make an ad real quick if interested.

If you go to the 94/95 knuckles you can go to 11.6 or larger rotors as indicated. It is very much worth it.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hi 84FordMan (sorry don't know your name).

Hmm...this is good information.

I have no problem with reman, be happy to return old parts so they can be reused and not throw away, added to scrap heaps.

So by purchasing "MasterPro" (wink wink Cardone) from O'Reillys, I will have a Lifetime Warranty on the axles. The price from Napa on these same ("Cardone") axles is $10 cheaper, but I only have a 3 yr/36K warranty.

In your experience as a store manager, how has the quality been with axles from Cardone? Not a fan of having to redo work from product defects (which are going to happen, completely understandable), but is there a X% failure rate you've witnessed?
My name is Ed, born and raised in Columbia.

I have sold Cardone reman axles for 10 years now, going all the way back to when I was in the Pep Boys on Decker Blvd. Warranty percentage is incredibly low. Of the ones I have personally done I have either seen abuse or a foreign object tear the boot. I honestly cannot remember the last time, if any, I've had a defective axle out of the box from Cardone. I've run into a few mis-boxed ones, but the condition of the boxes led to the suspicion that it may have been a customer's fault, not Cardone's.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahhh a former Columbia resident. I know the PepBoys, haven't been inside there before.

Sounds like I'll give O'Reilly's my business if the lifetime warranty on the original part carries over to a replacement if there is an issue (not like I'll be racing the wagon, :lol: ).

Also just found a neat shop over on Ft. Jackson. Autocraft Shop Now to see if I can get in, if so I can knock out a lot of this work in a day.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Ahhh a former Columbia resident. I know the PepBoys, haven't been inside there before.

Sounds like I'll give O'Reilly's my business if the lifetime warranty on the original part carries over to a replacement if there is an issue (not like I'll be racing the wagon, :lol: ).

Also just found a neat shop over on Ft. Jackson. Autocraft Shop Now to see if I can get in, if so I can knock out a lot of this work in a day.
Yup, RNE class of 2001.

Our warranty policy is as stated "Replacement part retains the original warranty or 90 days, whichever is longer". In the case of our lifetime warranty products, it is truly limitless.

·
Registered
797 Posts
"The difference in stopping power and fade resistance is huge. You could change the spindles while you have them out to change the axles, then if you decide to do the upgrade down the road all you need is caliper brackets, pads and rotors for a '96-'99 SHO or '01+ Taurus. "

I agree with out a doubt, the 11.6" rotor upgrade provides a huge improvement in braking performance . Since doing it myself, I really love the way my 96 Sable brakes.
To do the upgrade you also need 16" wheels. I would guess, your car currently has 14 or 15" wheels. You can get the caliper brackets and wheels at a bone yard from any gen 4. Except 2000. And the SHO as suggested above.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts