Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it doable? I don't know much about the spring rates for the taurus but lowering springs are nigh impossible to get a hold of, and cutting them would be much much cheaper.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
if for whatever reason you do end up cutting them because there is a shortage (none until shosource) of lowering springs for these cars, you MUST get better struts, i had mine down 2" for maybe 8 months and ROASTED the stock struts, but i had to figure it out on my own, now ive got newer suspension and ill never lower a car again, i actually hated it, even in the first few months the ride was AWSOME, but i felt like i had to be super careful everywhere i went especially parking, and the roads in MA are awful, id never have a car lowered again unless i lived down south/west.

·
Registered
233 Posts
if for whatever reason you do end up cutting them because there is a shortage (none until shosource) of lowering springs for these cars, you MUST get better struts, i had mine down 2" for maybe 8 months and ROASTED the stock struts, but i had to figure it out on my own, now ive got newer suspension and ill never lower a car again, i actually hated it, even in the first few months the ride was AWSOME, but i felt like i had to be super careful everywhere i went especially parking, and the roads in MA are awful, id never have a car lowered again unless i lived down south/west.
I envy the people that drive cars that look like they're a half-inch off the ground, and they don't worry. If I ever bought a Ferrari or a Porsche, I'd need a 2" lift kit on it.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
Is it doable? I don't know much about the spring rates for the taurus but lowering springs are nigh impossible to get a hold of, and cutting them would be much much cheaper.
As mentioned we do have the group buy but you will run into the issue of the spring seating surface.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
i totally forgot about that, i have no idea how people can even think about driving the car like that.

the top and bottom coils are always flat so they seat in flat, when you cut it your going to go from 100% support to about 15-20%, so i would think that if you hit a huge pothole at a high rate of speed the spring could shoot off.

i didnt cut mine i used spring compressors, and honestly they worked great but the struts went plus they have 130k on them, for a first several months the ride was AMAZING, that was when i was on 18's with low pros and it handled SO good, i just wish i had a beefier rear sway bar because on heavy heavy corners the body roll would set in a bit and bottom out the rear to the tire for a brief half second.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@zuljin I pm’ed you back about the adapter plate

@s2knott So the spring compressor is what flattens the cut spring back? I live in socal so the roads aren't terrible, but I'd have to replace the struts eventually though correct?

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
@zuljin I pm’ed you back about the adapter plate

@s2knott So the spring compressor is what flattens the cut spring back? I live in socal so the roads aren't terrible, but I'd have to replace the struts eventually though correct?
No it just compresses the spring and reduces spring travel. One you cut the spring seat its gone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
i dont think lowering a taurus is a good idea... me and my boy lowered his 95 accord, dropped it to the ground with new struts and a $45 coilover set from eaby and it looks sick i gotta admit... but in my taurus i like to ride high above the ground. thats why i love it for road trips!.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
i dont think lowering a taurus is a good idea... me and my boy lowered his 95 accord, dropped it to the ground with new struts and a $45 coilover set from eaby and it looks sick i gotta admit... but in my taurus i like to ride high above the ground. thats why i love it for road trips!.
Our lowering springs only lowers it 1.75" so it is not terrible. It provides a good firm ride and not harsh.

·
Registered
374 Posts
And hereby affecting the spring properties probably for the worse. Also stripping the paint on a car that has rusting on the spring issues.
The coils that make up the spring seats at both ends are dead coils and have no affect on spring rates.

As for rust issues, Plastidip.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The coils that make up the spring seats at both ends are dead coils and have no affect on spring rates.
But the coil's you'd be heating aren't.

If you heat a spring, it changes its properties. If you heat a spring while applying pressure (like to bend it) you're losing a LOT of spring rate. If you do it to all 4, you'll probably end up with an inch or so of really spongy, uncontrollable ride.

·
Registered
374 Posts
But the coil's you'd be heating aren't.

If you heat a spring, it changes its properties. If you heat a spring while applying pressure (like to bend it) you're losing a LOT of spring rate. If you do it to all 4, you'll probably end up with an inch or so of really spongy, uncontrollable ride.
If you heat coils that are not at the ends, THEN you affect it's properties. You are not changing the inside diameter of the coil, you are not changing the diameter of the wire thickness, the only variable that affects spring rate that you are changing is the number of active coils and even at that, the Taurus springs are not linear, they are progressive. In a progressive spring, the coils closest to both ends are the first to compress and deaden. In this case, lopping off one or two of these coils will still have zero affect on the spring rate.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
I think you are assuming you have dead coils o nthe Gen3/4 which you don't. See the pictures of teh stock springs compared to ours:

As you can see in either case you have no dead coils and you change diameter as well. So if you cut a coil you wont have a spring with a flat surface. This will require significant bending and heating so you will change the properties, maybe localized but it will be at the point where you go from your seat to the spring and it will have an affect on the ride. Also the Gen 3/4 springs are more linear then progressive.

On something like Intrax springs you can cut a coil as they have dead coils but not stock Gen3/4 springs.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So compressing the springs would be favorable to cutting them? Would compressing them heat them up and ruin the ride?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts