Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02 taurus SEL and have looked into getting a custom fiberglass box built and covered with stock trunk carpet for the spot opposite the cd changer in the trunk. It seems to be the only spot that's out of the way. The guy willing to build it recommended a kicker square 10" sub. He also wanted to build a custom amp rack right below the rear deck lid.

My question is does anybody know of any kits or molds for that spot for a sub box and if so where can I find something like this. I'd like ot stay away from getting a huge box in my trunk sacrificing all my trunk space.

I've also looked at the infinity powered sub for the same spot but have heard mixed reviews of it's quality. Any help would be much appreciated

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,308 Posts
I'd go for the infinity basslink, my sister had one and it sounded pretty nice, and got pretty loud. They're fairly easy to set up and don't take up much space. It might be cheaper to get the basslink and less of a hasstle. just my 2 cents

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
a custom subwoofer box would be excellent for your car. I bet it will cost the same as that lil basslink or whatever... (excluding amp cost)...and you will have a custom look, and it will just accent your trunk better...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Only thing is the estimate I got is $350 for the box + some labor, I've seen the basslink for around $200 so I think I might get one for the time being and eventulally have the box built. Unless someone can help with a better solution... but I will definately show pics when I get the box built.

thanx

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by TaurusSEL@Apr 17 2004, 04:58 AM
Only thing is the estimate I got is $350 for the box + some labor, I've seen the basslink for around $200 so I think I might get one for the time being and eventulally have the box built. Unless someone can help with a better solution... but I will definately show pics when I get the box built.

thanx
Did you ever think of doing the job yourself?? A lot of boat shops have fiber glass kits...and youd need felt and some wood and stuff..
id try that rather than pay 350 dollars... doesnt have to look pretty.. because you'd tuck carpet all over it after you mount it..

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by afi292+Apr 17 2004, 05:37 PM-->QUOTE (afi292 @ Apr 17 2004, 05:37 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-TaurusSEL
@Apr 17 2004, 04:58 AM

thanx
Did you ever think of doing the job yourself?? A lot of boat shops have fiber glass kits...and youd need felt and some wood and stuff..
id try that rather than pay 350 dollars... doesnt have to look pretty.. because you'd tuck carpet all over it after you mount it.. [/b]
But if you really want to set it off you would sand it down smooth, use some body filler to help that out if needed, and paint it to match the car. Now that would be sweeeet...plus that is my goal sometime soon.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by 12Volt_rep+Apr 18 2004, 07:55 AM-->QUOTE (12Volt_rep @ Apr 18 2004, 07:55 AM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 17 2004, 05:37 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-TaurusSEL
@Apr 17 2004, 04:58 AM

thanx

id try that rather than pay 350 dollars... doesnt have to look pretty.. because you'd tuck carpet all over it after you mount it..
But if you really want to set it off you would sand it down smooth, use some body filler to help that out if needed, and paint it to match the car. Now that would be sweeeet...plus that is my goal sometime soon. [/b]
Yeah, that would look fine too..but carpet would be easier and look stock

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Blah stock. I agree with you though, it would be easier, but if easy was the route we all took none of us would change so much as a head unit in a Taurus.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Please don't get an Infinity Bass Link. If you go to any Car Stereo Installation shop and talk to an honest employee, they will tell you something along the lines of:

Inifinty Basslinks are incompatible with pretty much everything and they definitely do not sound as good as a separate sub/amp.

I only know this from when I was first shopping for my stereo parts. (It's not like they were trying to get more $$ out of me, because I picked out what I wanted at Circuit City, got advice from several Car Stereo Installation Experts to help make my budget, and ordered EVERYTHING (cept the box) ONLINE. EBay is def. the way to go. Look for a power-seller or whatever you call them. =p

Just my 2 cents... and please post pics I'd love to see how it comes out =)

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by newcamr321@Apr 18 2004, 05:15 PM
I only know this from when I was first shopping for my stereo parts. (It's not like they were trying to get more $$ out of me, because I picked out what I wanted at Circuit City, got advice from several Car Stereo Installation Experts to help make my budget, and ordered EVERYTHING (cept the box) ONLINE. EBay is def. the way to go. Look for a power-seller or whatever you call them. =p
Just FYI for you and anyone else that reads this. Stereo shops hate when you all do that, and sometimes if they know or think you are going to pull that move they will feed you a bunch of BS. I understand that most people are on a budget, but why waste the time of someone you are only going to screw out of a sale. Email the person on Ebay that you are going to buy it from. I mean, think about it, if all you do is use us for info and then buy off the www...how do you expect us to survive? And if we go away, who will you ask then??? Just throwing this out there, I don't expect anyone to care.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry, I don't think the "stereo shop cares" or they are 'feeding me bs' when it's Circuit City and they are guys in their 20s that I am friends with... =p

And FYI, there is such a site that exists. That you "only use for info".
They get minor $5 donations here and there, but nothing is REQUIRED. And all of their staff has several years of experience.

www.clubknowledge.com/car_audio_faq

Go ask them for advice. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to assist you. =)

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Originally posted by 12Volt_rep+Apr 18 2004, 05:51 PM-->QUOTE (12Volt_rep @ Apr 18 2004, 05:51 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-newcamr321
@Apr 18 2004, 05:15 PM

Just FYI for you and anyone else that reads this. Stereo shops hate when you all do that, and sometimes if they know or think you are going to pull that move they will feed you a bunch of BS. I understand that most people are on a budget, but why waste the time of someone you are only going to screw out of a sale. Email the person on Ebay that you are going to buy it from. I mean, think about it, if all you do is use us for info and then buy off the www...how do you expect us to survive? And if we go away, who will you ask then??? Just throwing this out there, I don't expect anyone to care. [/b]
When I was doing service plumbing, I would occasionally give out advice to a homeowner to do it themselves and how to do it, rather than charge them for me to do it. People respect it when you give them an honest and well-informed answer, and will sometimes purchase parts/ have you do the work anyways because they are impressed and respect your knowledge.

I understand your side, I was just stating my experiences.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by silvapain+Apr 18 2004, 09:49 PM-->QUOTE (silvapain @ Apr 18 2004, 09:49 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 18 2004, 05:51 PM

Just FYI for you and anyone else that reads this. Stereo shops hate when you all do that, and sometimes if they know or think you are going to pull that move they will feed you a bunch of BS. I understand that most people are on a budget, but why waste the time of someone you are only going to screw out of a sale. Email the person on Ebay that you are going to buy it from. I mean, think about it, if all you do is use us for info and then buy off the www...how do you expect us to survive? And if we go away, who will you ask then??? Just throwing this out there, I don't expect anyone to care.
When I was doing service plumbing, I would occasionally give out advice to a homeowner to do it themselves and how to do it, rather than charge them for me to do it. People respect it when you give them an honest and well-informed answer, and will sometimes purchase parts/ have you do the work anyways because they are impressed and respect your knowledge.

I understand your side, I was just stating my experiences. [/b]
I agree with you 100%, and I am not saying everyone does that every time. But, it does happen a lot. I call on about 100 different car audio dealers and they all say the same thing, they see an increase in it. The bad thing is they are also seeing an increase in defective stuff coming in from the net and they expect the local dealer to take care of the problem for them. Dealers are tired of the net and I can't blame them, but you guys as a end user are price conscience and that only makes sense. I know a lot of dealers in my territory are to the point they will charge double to put in something that is off of the net. They figure if they are not going to make money on the product they will make it on labor. I know this problem will never go away, and at age 16-24 you are less likely to care about customer service over price, but remember that your local guy has to make money to keep the doors open.

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by newcamr321@Apr 18 2004, 09:45 PM
Sorry, I don't think the "stereo shop cares" or they are 'feeding me bs' when it's Circuit City and they are guys in their 20s that I am friends with... =p

And FYI, there is such a site that exists. That you "only use for info".
They get minor $5 donations here and there, but nothing is REQUIRED. And all of their staff has several years of experience.

www.clubknowledge.com/car_audio_faq

Go ask them for advice. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to assist you. =)
You are right, but Circuit City/Best Buy are kinda the 12 Volt industry joke. I think you missed my point altogether anyway. What I was trying to say is that dealers are tired of wasting their time with people that are only coming in to see the product and talk to them about it, only to run home and buy it off the net. Imagine you sell cars for a living, someone comes in and test drives it, waste half of you afternoon and you think it is a done deal. Only to hear after 2 hours..."I'll have to think about it", and then the person goes and buys it off the net. I don't think it is wrong to save money, and the net is cheaper then a retail shop. It is just crap that people have no second thought about wasting the time of a saleperson when they KNOW they are not going to buy it from them or any local retailer. The good thing for dealers is that a major change is going to happen in 2006 that will hurt a lot of the these companies that support internet sales.

Now, if you are going to a site that provides info on car audio or anything else, that is different. That is what it is there for. Much like this site for all of us. Hell, I give advise all the time to people I know or people that know people I know. But at that point it is not taking money out of my pocket.

I am not trying to preach here, just give some insight. Try asking the local retail shop to match the price of the net price, or at least come close. Most dealer would rather lose a few bucks than the whole sale.

·
Registered
160 Posts
12volt_rep, I have on ocassion asked retail places to match my internet price and they just cant do it not even close to it. I rether get it locally for same price so that i can return it if the need be, but most places jsut cant go that cheap. If they can then they got better suppliers then the retail shops I've been to and they could also open a web site and make money of just cheap sales. So what change are you reffering to in 2006?

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
Originally posted by qaz-@Apr 19 2004, 03:25 PM
12volt_rep, I have on ocassion asked retail places to match my internet price and they just cant do it not even close to it. I rether get it locally for same price so that i can return it if the need be, but most places jsut cant go that cheap. If they can then they got better suppliers then the retail shops I've been to and they could also open a web site and make money of just cheap sales. So what change are you reffering to in 2006?
One of the biggest changes it the power rating system. Many of the 12 Volt companies out there use blown-up numbers to rate their equipment. I know a few companies that sell 1600 watt amps for example, and they wouldn't do 1600 watts if lightning hit it. So in 2006 they are enforcing actual power rating on everything from head units to amps to speakers and anything else that has a rating on it. Therefore a lot of these fly-by-night companies will be in big trouble because they can't fudge the numbers to sell their product. That is only one of the major changes that is going to happen, but it is bigger than people might think right now. The rest are very shhhhhhhh.

The problem I have with a lot of retailers is they want to make maximum dollars on something, rather than sell more at a better price. I preach to my dealers about not letting money walk out the door, and only about half listen. But you are right, many dealers can't afford to match prices on everything, but it never hurts to ask. The reason you see this stuff on line so cheap is this: Company A requires Dealer B to do at least 75K a year to carry their line. On top of that 75K you have to carry SKU's that may or may not sell well. That is where the net comes in handy, they can dump some of the inventory there. Dealer B says "I will meet my quota for you Company A...no problem". So the dealer that is direct with Company A buys at a better price than a dealer that has to buy Company A's product through a distributor(me) and can afford to sell at Dealer C's(distributor dealer) cost and still make money. So most of the dealers that you all deal with are probably distributor dealers, and it is hard for them to match the price...but not impossible. I know one of the companies that I sell took a few steps this year to cut down on net sales, but they can't totally stop them...yet.

You really hit it on the head when you said that you like to buy local because if there is a problem you can go right back and get it squared away. The problem as I mentioned before is that people are buying off the net and expecting the local dealer to take care of it if it craps out. They can't do it and I have heard several stories about customers(for lack of a better word) getting pissed because they get stuck with it. It is worth it to pay a little more for a product if you know someone will take care of you if it fails. But again, I don't agree with the dealer trying to sell at 50 points above their cost, you can't be competitive by doing that.

I know that no matter how hard we may wish the net would shut down 12 Volt sales, it will never happen. I just wish people could see past price on some thing, and realize the service value. I guess once they get burned a time or two they will see the difference.

I am sorry for the long rambling, and coming off as I am preaching all the time. You all just have to understand that this is my life and it is all I have done for 13 years. I have seen a lot of changes good and bad in this industry, I just hope it doesn't go away...I still love it!!!

Now, to get this thread back on topic I went and took some pictures of my new install. I will post them later if anyone wants to see them.

·
Premium Member
2,282 Posts
Originally posted by 12Volt_rep+Apr 18 2004, 06:51 PM-->QUOTE (12Volt_rep @ Apr 18 2004, 06:51 PM)

Just FYI for you and anyone else that reads this. Stereo shops hate when you all do that, and sometimes if they know or think you are going to pull that move they will feed you a bunch of BS. I understand that most people are on a budget, but why waste the time of someone you are only going to screw out of a sale. Email the person on Ebay that you are going to buy it from. I mean, think about it, if all you do is use us for info and then buy off the www...how do you expect us to survive? And if we go away, who will you ask then??? Just throwing this out there, I don't expect anyone to care. [/b]
I buy locally for the fact that it supports my local economy, and if i have a problem i can take it there and they are willing to help out ya know? I find they have good reccomendations and yeah

i never buy these kinda things online because if its broke you might get screwed outta it, but for someone local
you know where to go if something goes wrong.

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
Ahh, automotive companies are going to 42 volt systems shortly anyways. So EVERYONE is going to have to start from square one. That's when the reputable, high-quality companies are gonna shine, and the crap manufacturers are gonna die.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts