Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that with the 3.0l+ engines, it's kind of full under the hood, but what about with the old 2.5l 4-cyl. If I'm right you could get some more stuff under that hood. Maybe turbo and intercool it as well as rebuild and bore out the engine. Add CAI and performance exhaust and you could probably crank out 300+ HP from under that hood. That would be one f***ing awesome Taurus.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What? A guy can dream. What do those engines put out in HP stock anyway?

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
The 4 cylinder Taurus engines are rather rare. You might start by trying to cross reference the taurus 4 cylinder with other 4's of that time to see what other cars had the same engine. You might be able to find performance parts for it that way.

Do you have the 5 speed manual?

Here are some vitals about that motor BTW...

Inline 4

-Dan

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Maybe with forced induction and weight reduction, you might get somewhere. There is a project someone was working on using a Gen 2 SHO and chopping out the back seat and welding together the front end and rear end to build a roadster, but between both the performance upgrades and the cost of a roadster conversion, I think you'd be buying a new car anyway.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
While we're on the subject of taurii projects, Has anybody tried or thought about trying rear suicide doors? I think that would be a cool aesthetic mod. BTW, note that I said CAI, Turbo, and Intercooler

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
There was a discussion about rear suicide doors. It won't work because or the curvature and you need the B-pillar for structural interegrity.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Well, if you kept the b pillar and used some kind of twisted ball joint on the other side of the door... maybe. The way the door curves on that side I'd think would be a problem.

-Dan

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh well, I thought it might be cool to have suicide doors. Too bad it's not possible.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
Possible... just not probably. Remember... with enough $$$ anything is possible

-Dan

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Your talking to a college student. Money? What is this "Money" that you speak of?

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
If you truely want to do an engine swap why not a 2.5L duratec? They came in the Countour SVT, SE, Mystique GS, and the new Cougars. There are some Supercharger and turbo kits available for that engine. (such as streetflight.com)

And notice the dyno with the 3.0L Contour SVT versus the 2.5L of that engine.. not much difference.

·
Premium Member
5,359 Posts
The Contour SVT is a 2.5L engine. The Taurus is the 3.0 Duratec.

edit - or are you talking about a swap from 2.5 to 3.0?

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Wasn't there a discussion about how the 3.0L Duratec won't fit in earlier gens? I'm guessing the 2.5L is smaller in size as well as displacement so it would probably fit in G1/G2 models.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts