Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had this car since 1997 and this is my first mod (long story for another time and another forum ;)). I don't have huge performance plans for this car because it's my daily driver and I've already got two, very performance-oriented toys to scratch those needs.

However, I hate driving a car that: looks like everyone else's and one that looks like a car a guy my age would drive. LOL!

That being said, I do have some changes I'd like to make over the next few months to a year. The first are these custom white-faced gauges. I have had trouble finding an aftermarket solution that meets my likes. I don't particualarly care for the "indiglo" type. So, after doing a lot of research, I discovered a guy who makes custom gauge sets for Gen 3's.

Like all of the other sets (i.e. indiglo, etc...) his comes with the idiot light portions colored white also. I wanted to give the illusion of having white gauges - meaning, I wanted it to look like I had put in white-faced, round gauges to replace the speedo, the tach, and the accessory gauges.

In this installation, I simply cut off the idiot light portions from the original set (black) and applied them to the new white set. Here are the results. Let me know what you think. I'm very satisfied. Makes me feel a little less like the old man that I am when picking my kids up from practice or whatever... :evil_grin:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
If you don't mind me asking, who did you order those from and about how much? I really like the looks of those and like you, I too do not like the indiglo look.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I like the gas guage. It looks nicer than just having the dashes.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Those are tight! This is a dumb question, but I didn't understand what you meant about the idiot lights...So you can still see the idiot lights along the bottoms of the guages when they illuminate?

Wonder if this guy will do them for an '03...

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
I think by idiot lights he means the two triangles in between the 3 guages. Just my thoughts. It really does look great though. Now that design + Frost Silver = kick arse.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Originally posted by stpidhoser@Sep 5 2004, 07:40 PM
I think by idiot lights he means the two triangles in between the 3 guages. Just my thoughts. It really does look great though. Now that design + Frost Silver = kick arse.
I was talking about the row of idiot lights that are along the bottom of the tach and fuel/temp gauges...I have lights there in my '03 in addition to the ones in the triangle areas between the three main gauge semi-circles...

Are there no lights along the bottoms in the 96-99's?

·
Premium Member
4,482 Posts
There is, like the door ajar light and check engine soon light, probably some others, but those are the only 2 ive had come on on me since ive had the car. Are the idiot lights technically just the ones that warn you of something wrong. Like "hey idiot, your doors open" :lol2: . but seriously, isnt it? or is it all the lights like turn signals and such.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to all of you. Thanks for the compliments! I have really enjoyed them since I installed them!

By idiot lights I did mean the two "triangles" between the gauges and the two to the outsides. In this kit just as in others, those areas are white. I wanted them to be black so that the only white seen would be from the round "gauges". To me, that makes them look like they are seperate guages as opposed to the vinyl/plastic composite that they really are.

As for the idiot lights imbedded in the bottom of the tach and the water temp/gas gauge you can see them when illuminated. I attached a pic of them at night.

The guy's name is: Scott Hrbacek. He's an electrical engineer who makes these himself using his own process. His website is here: Custom Gauge Faces

The price for an "uncut" set is $30 and "cut" is $45, I think. I bought the "uncut" because I knew I was going to customize mine by cutting away the triangle portions. It was more work than it had to be because of this, but worth it to me.

Rob

Attachments

·
Premium Member
599 Posts
Wow $30 uncut is a damn good deal. I think I have seen others going for upwards of $100. Thanks, and great looking gauges.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Those look really cool.

I used to have an Intrepid with white gauges and I like the look of it way better.

Does anyone know where I can get a set of those for a canadian model Gen 3?

I think I would do the same thing with the dummy lights as you, looks much sharper.

Thanks,

lllsynthtaxlll

1 - 14 of 14 Posts