Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I haven't seen anything like this in any other post, so here goes! This is not a mod, I'm attempting to build a replacement EATC, mine went haywire at the same time as my stereo, so I removed the headunit (ICP) and the RCU from my 2000, both of which I disassembled that day for parts. Started my car up later and found I had 90 degree heat and nothing else in absence of the ICP I have since pulled the fuses for the blower, and the A/C Relay. My old parts are useless, so I want to build a new EATC using a Microcontroller: the Atmel AVR 644P My problem is not in circuit design, it's communication:

THE PROBLEM: when the buttons are adjusted on the front of the EATC/ICP what happens? is a signal sent over the data bus to tell another module to affect the changes, or does a wires' voltage change states in a simple high-low signal triggering action. Could I disconnect The wires to each of the components of the thermal system and have them switched by the microcontroller according to sensory data from the temp sensors already in the car? If it is the data bus, does anyone have ANY information on the ACP (audio corporate protocol) or SCP (standard corporate protocol) in relation to my issue? If it is standard serial data with special headers, that would be all I need etc...

If you can help I'll check this thread frequently, If the design is completed, I'll post all of the info here when it's done.
Any ideas or suggestions you would rather not share here, go to asourcelabs.com/mymail.htm for my email address.

·
Registered
346 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE: Dug up my old ICP/EATC out of my workshop, and the two IC's I couldnt get a Datasheet for, when i catalogued them originally, are the two IC's that are listed in the Links aboves' files as being responsible for rx/tx on the ACP/SCP Network! The datasheets are in those zipfiles for the IC's. I'm gonna post right after this with some pictures of my car as of now, and the stories to accompany.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been almost a year since my last post one this, but I am nearing completion of a new type of EATC to manual conversion. An Arduino Mega Microcontroller board, assorted hardware, my own program for the board, and the Blend door actuator, blower motor amp board, and vacuum solenoids are all tied together for a manual temp setup, aftermarket stereo, all using the original thermal modules! If anyone wants more info let me know, I will be submitting to hack-a-day and instructables.com a detailed walkthrough of my system. I fiberglassed a replacement panel for the large hole left in my dash, and have a pop-out dvd player, pictures will be up this weekend with a link to be announced. ANYONE WANTING A KIT FOR TAURUS'S IN THE SAME GEN AS MY 2000 LET ME KNOW. If I get enough requests, I will build them to sell at around $120...

On another note, my window circuits stopped working, so this weekend I will also be installing a central console to control all of the windows cop car style, also of my own design...

I do have a quick question: I am leaving the original EATC control module (bolted in behind the dash originally) because if I understand correctly, it controls the A/C cycling switch which creates the cold part of the blend door function? If this is not so, I need info on how to manually override the A/C cycling function to include A/C in my design.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts

I NEED TO SEE WHAT YOU HAVE!! lol. I'm wanting to do a custom double din and relocate my manual AC controls in the small cd hole and cigarette lighter area using a Scosche radio kits ac holders and defroster. Please do tell more

·
Registered
346 Posts
I've been very interested in making a custom security module to execute functions on the car. (window control, theft input monitoring, output authorization, door lock control) ever since i saw someone build something like this with an arduino on hackaday.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today was both good, and bad... moved the module responsible for vent selection from breadboard to custom circuit board and it works, but 2 of the three variable resistors that came today for controlling the settings are trash. The kind people at jameco electronics are sending me 2 more next day air. The whole system gets put in the car on saturday, but here in a few minutes I should be taking pictures of what I have here...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, pics of what I have with me are at dmattox.co.cc/pics (my personal server, so please download them instead of viewing them on the server. more pics tomorrow on into saturday. the code on the arduino mega is saved as a text file in the same directory as the images.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I should explain why I cant show more... Over a year ago, I lost my license for 15 days after getting pulled over for having my cruise set to 110 in a 55. Knowing I wouldnt be driving that month, (this past december), I didnt insure my car. While changing insurance companies recently the DMV (penndot) caught up with my lapse in insurance and fined me $50, as well as suspending my registration for 90 days. Having to send my license plate in, I couldnt have my car parked where I live so I parked it at my grandparents in the middle of nowhere until my suspension is up june 1st. On saturday my wife and I are going to see them so I can hook everything up, and I will snap pics then...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bad news, the new parts were duds as well, got some of it hooked up and went to go edit some of the code out, only to find the potentiometers that control everything were scrap, again... So, next weekend I'll have new parts to finish the install and take pics etc...

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I think its awesome you're taking the time to go through all of this but I do have to ask... why not just buy another EATC headunit when your original kicked the bucket? Its an awful lot of work it seems for an end result that'd be the same : a functioning HVAC (be it auto and manual).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
DONE!!! Custom controls installed and working, once I edit the video and post it, I will give a link, the pics will be up on the picasa album above after midnight tonight!

The reasons I didnt just replace it:
1. Thats no fun
2. The head units is discontinued by ford, but is $140 used, above and beyond being hard to find
3. I've always wanted a pop-out dvd player in my car, and that wouldnt be realistic with the OEM panel and the aftermarket dash kit is more expensive than the OEM, at $170

SO NOW: Yes, my install is a bit messy, but if anyone wants to custom order a setup, I wouldnt be using equipment out of my parts bin, so theirs would look a lot nicer, and have less wires...

I made a miscalculation on the Original EATC board that hides in the dash, while it is still required to be hooked up for my system to work, it does not handle the A/C the way it did, so any one with information on actuating A/C output into the system (e.g. turning the compressor on manually) LET ME KNOW!

Other than that, hope you like my work, pics to follow, videos to follow a bit later than pics...

PICS: http://picasaweb.google.com/114351322941159318025/CID#

CODE: http://hevymetal87.pastebin.com/dKs8vKhp The complete code running in my car now...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts