Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, back in January, I decided I wanted to start biking again, so I pulled my mom's old 1976 Schwinn Le Tour road bike out of the garage, cleaned it up, and started riding. Now I've crashed the damn thing twice! The first time was back in March, on the last day of spring break, I was going across some railroad tracks, and I didn't angle enough, so the front wheel got caught between the tracks and the pavement and threw me off. Just scrapes and bruises, and my knee was swollen for a week or two.

I got back on last week, went on a group ride, and I struggled to keep up a little because everyone else was in better shape and had much newer, nicer gear than I did. I was actually the only one who didn't have the shoes that clip into the pedals. Then Monday, I was out riding to train myself, I was doing laps through campus then onto the greenway and back around again. I think each lap was 15-20 miles, and I as on my third one, on the return trip. There's a part on the greenway where it's downhill, and it does a little 180 degree turn. I came into it too fast, knew I was going to fast, and held onto the rear brake too long. The back wheel locked up, it slid out from under me and I landed on my shoulder. I earned myself a four hour trip to the ER, where they thought I had dislocated it, but it turns out I just stretched the ligaments out, so it looks, acts, and feels like a dislocation, but the joint stayed together. In any case, I'm in a sling for at least two weeks. I just wanted to come here and bitch about how I can't ride a bike! :p

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Two words: Training Stand.....

·
Registered
111 Posts
:( Hope all is well. I used to ride all over the place, but my desk job has me..... unfit so to say :lol2:

and i have crashed a few times myself. came very close to death once too, so i know what your going through. dont give up on it though B)

·
Premium Member
416 Posts
I clipped the back of a pick up truck that I was admittedly following too closely when she stopped pretty suddenly as a light turned yellow. I was going about 30mph on a nice downhill toward the left turn that used to lead to my house, no idea how much I could have actually slowed down before I hit the bumper.

That probably could have been a lot worse, but I was thrown from the bike with scrapes and bruises and my hurt pride. Straightened out the front wheel and made my way home slowly, the brakes had to be adjusted and everything double checked since it was a hard hit but luckily everything was fine.

I was actually pretty mad at myself and apologizing to the lady, it was completely my fault and I was concerned that I had possibly damaged my bumper, she was apparently glad enough that I didn't kill myself with her car, I offered to pay for any damage, she refused completely and that was it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hope you get healed up quick, stuff like that happens haha. I've wrecked more times than i care to count over the years riding BMX. I actually want to get onto a road bike and start riding long distances, though...

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Ugh, bummer man :( That has gota HURT landing on shoulder, dang.

10 years ago, I was riding back from the store going down an incline on the street, on my bike. On my handle bars, I had a book in a bag, that was swaying around. Well the book swung into the wheel spokes, which of course stopped the bike pretty quickly. I didn't. Glad I wore my helmet as I landed on my head. Helmet cracked. Good times. :rolleyes2:

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
i hope you recover soon. the only bike crash i have had in a long time has been mtbing and i slid on a root and cliped a tree with my bar ends.

How wide are your tires? on a old touring rig i would hope 25 to 27 at least heck it might even fit 32 if it is a true touring bike. the rims should be designed to use wider tires then the current 23 crap. Running a narrow tire (23) on rim designed for wider (27+) tires will cause you to corner on the side walls and run out of traction way to soon. Also the wider tires are more puncture resistant and work better on the gravel and glass crap on shoulders.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts