Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have put several posts for this problem and have tried a lot of things. This time I tested the dumpvalve by sucking on the line to the cruise control servo. Then step on the brake to release the pressure. The dump valve works fine. Any other ideas.

The problem I am having is that the cruise control will not always engage.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by thsncc1701@Aug 15 2004, 11:12 AM
The problem I am having is that the cruise control will not always engage.
I take this to mean that there are times that the cruise works just fine?

If so, it sounds to me like the problem is most likely between your steering wheel and the column - the copper discs on the back of the steering wheel aren't in good contact with the copper, spring-loaded contacts in the column.

Take the wheel off, and clean everything up real good. You may need to replace that copper/plastic part in the back of the wheel; the grease seems to rot the plastic and cause it to crack and fall apart.

Re-lube with a THIN layer of grease, and re-assemble.

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I had to replace this part in my steering wheel. They are available from Ford Parts Network, I paid about $27 for mine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I'm not sure if that's the clockspring or not - I don't know the proper name of it.

I looked through my receipts, but all that's there are the part numbers, no descriptions as to which part was which.

·
Registered
285 Posts
When I ordered the part from FPN, it was for my 1986 Tempo. So the part numbers may not be the same for your Taurus.

Here's some possibilities - I took the numbers off the FPN receipts.

E9FZ-13A808-A or it could be E9FZ-113A808-A, since it is written both ways on the same receipt. There is no Description on the receipt, other than the part number. <_<

Also try F2TZ-10D840-B, and F2TZ-10D840-B and E6PZ-9B989-A

I don't know which parts were which; sorry. :unsure:

But those parts were the ones on the receipts that were in the right price range.

Good luck.
Dan

Edited for speling.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
None of those parts were a clockspring. I am begining to think it is not the clockspring because the Horn works and I am not getting an Air Bag light. Is it worth trying to find this problem?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Have you had the steering wheel off? You won't need a puller; at least I didn't on mine. Remove the nut and the wheel comes right off.

You can see the contacts when the wheel is off, it probably isn't called the clockspring.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts