Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The other day I was driving with my cruise control on, and I tapped the breaks to slow down and I heared a loud click from my accererator pedal like it snapped back into its normal position too fast. It has been really cold here in MN lately, I don't know if that makes any difference. Anybody know how to fix this, is it an easy repair that I can do myself, or am I going to have to bring it to mechanic.

-TT

·
Registered
155 Posts
I guess I don't understand what the problem is. Does your accelerator still work, and does cruise control still work? If so, there is no problem.

·
Registered
619 Posts
If I'm accelerating with the cruise on and hit the brakes then my pedal does the same thing. It just has farther to travel and bounces when it hits the stop. Next time your driving, try sliding your foot off the pedal sideways while accelerating and see if you hear the same noise.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
Check the white plastic connector thingy on the brake arm. It has threads and can be adjusted. Sounds like it may have snapper somehow. I adjusted mine on my 85 F-350 and my cruise worked again on my truck after 10 years of thinking my cruise was broke.

PS. If that plastic thing is broken off somehow, your cruise will think you are depressing the brake and hence, no cruise

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
The pedal works fine, the cruise control doesn't work at all.
[/b]
So your question then isn't about the noise from your gas pedal, it's that your cruise no longer works, and you want to know how to fix it?

Well, first check the switches on the brake pedal - there are 2. The lower one is the BOO (brake on/off) switch. It should have power on one wire with the brake pedal released, and power on both wires with the pedal depressed. Above that switch is the speed control deactivation switch. It should have power on both wires with the pedal released, and power on only one wire with the pedal depressed. You'll probably find that one of those switches has failed - either the noise was the switch breaking, in which case you'll probably see that right away, or it was just a coincidence.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts