Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The cruise control on my 93' GL wont work. It will work sometimes but not always. I checked the fuse, the safety valve on the brake. What else is left? My dad says it is a waste of money to get it looked at by a mechanic. I am going to start doing a 30 mile freeway commute to school and I figure cruise control will be a good thing to have. My dealer's service department says it will cost $70 to diagnose the problem.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
Originally posted by thsncc1701@Aug 8 2004, 01:58 PM
The cruise control on my 93' GL wont work. It will work sometimes but not always. I checked the fuse, the safety valve on the brake. What else is left? My dad says it is a waste of money to get it looked at by a mechanic. I am going to start doing a 30 mile freeway commute to school and I figure cruise control will be a good thing to have. My dealer's service department says it will cost $70 to diagnose the problem.
On my 92 SHO, I have no cruise and am getting intermittant SRS codes. Everything else checks out, and the fact that I'm getting these codes leaves the clockspring as the culprit. The clockspring is the wiring harness that connects the horn, airbag, and cruise control controls.

·
Registered
341 Posts
if i recall correctly, there's a plug on or around the alternator for the cruise control. i had the alternator replaced on my 91 honda accord and they forgot to plug it back in. simple little clip.

also, do you have anything wrong with your brake lights? I had one that would stay on constantly some of the time, and when it was on the cruise wouldn't work.

also check the buttons for your cruise. i don't know how you'd test it, but it could be that the switch is bad.

good luck. i really don't know a lot about cruise, but those are the things i would check.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The brakelights work just fine and I am not getting any SRS codes. I dont think there is a conector near the alternator. Does anybody know where I can find a wiring diagram on the internet for the cruise control.

·
Registered
341 Posts
maybe that plug is just a honda thing. check autozone.com. they have a link at the bottom of their home page that takes you to a do-it-yourself guide specifically for your car. i dont know if they have a wiring diagram...but its free, and whats it hurt to check?

if they don't, the ford dealership near you should have. they might make you a copy for nothing.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Go to your local library, and look through the Motor's Manuals. That's where I found my info on the cruise control system for our Taurii.

Unfortunately, I've LOST these papers, else I'd scan them off and send 'em to you! The Taurus Cruise Control system is fairly simple. It is all controlled by the EEC, at least up to '95. Not sure about after that. So all you have, is the EEC computer, the switches in the steering wheel, the brake light switch, the vaccum dump valve on the brake pedal, and the vaccum diaphragm with it's throttle cable, in the engine compartment. Oh yeah, the VSS switch too.

Your problem may be a corroded solenoid valve inside that vaccum diaphragm. That was part of my problem.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Does your horn work? If it does, then the switches are getting power, and your clockspring is good.

Have you checked the brake dump valve real closely?

The cruise control system has a redundant shut-off switch; either the brake light switch will cut it off, or the dump valve on the brake pedal bracket will. The dump valve is hard to see, and even harder to fiddle with. The valve is prone to sticking.

For an intermittent operation problem, I'd bet on the dump valve.

I have a EVTM schematic for a 1995 Taurus/Sable if you want a page scanned...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How can you check the dump valve real closly? and if you could scan that diagram to me that would be great.

·
Premium Member
5,111 Posts
The clockspring is a harness of wires. Save for the ground going bad, the rest of the harness will work, as is the case with me. I don't have cruise functionality, and the intermittant SRS code 34 (dependant on the position of the steering wheel upon startup). But the horn works fine.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 94 GL wagon, lost the brake lights, mechanic had to create an override in the fuse area to get the brakes lights working. Since then my cruise control works once, then hit the brakes and it won't work! Horn works, gotta love these quirky GLs. I could write a book on the quirks and would like to meet the clown that designed this car.

New key tumbler, don't move it 'too far forward' or your dashboad doesn't work..matter of 1/2 an inch

Idiot lights can come on anytime, and disappear.

Tranny can lock up the linkage, just jimmy the linkage by 'not turning on the engine light, start car in neutral"...

turn on air conditioning and lose 50 horsepower...I at least am totally informed thanks the the great people on this forum...

·
Registered
285 Posts
Originally posted by thsncc1701@Aug 9 2004, 01:34 PM
How can you check the the dump valve up close? It looks like it is working ok.
Get in the engine compartment, and pull the end of the hose off that goes to the dump valve. You will find it on the back of the vaccum diaphragm, IIRC.

Suck on it and try to pull a vaccum on it. If the valve is good, you'll be able to pull a vaccum on it, if the brake pedal is all the way up. Have a helper in the car touch the brake pedal while you're trying this. When they touch the pedal, you'll be able to suck all kinds of air. When they release the brake pedal, you'll be able to draw vaccum against the sealed valve again.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I just noticed that the cruise control doesnt work on my taurus as well...can you send the schematic?

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Not staying in topic but I think Bush/Cheney have just about ruined this country and Kerry/Edwards are a couple of humbugs......

Take you political patronization to a political forum if you please :ph34r:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts