Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Ford Five Hundred with the CVT. The trans was replaced at about 20,00 miles under warranty. The second trans went at about 110,000 miles. The current trans was not replaced by the Ford dealer. Ever since its installation, there has been a problem with the cruise control. It works good at low speeds and with very gentle grades. If it need to downshift to climb the grade, the tach will go to over 4,000 rpms. It will hold the speed OK; but the rpms will not go down again on its own even if the road is level or downhill. I can disable the cruise control and set it again and it is OK until it happens again or I can increase the speed about 5 or 6 mph and the tach will start to drop. Then if I get off the gas, the rpms drop down to the normal range for that speed. The transmission shop says that the problem is not the transmission. It is a problem with the computer which controls the transmission. Has anyone ever heard of something like this.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
A CVT trans basically requires lots of fluid changes and maintenance. It was the result of strict government regulations on fuel economy standards, instead of letting free market economics sort out the issue. CVT transmissions are a nightmare, and are basically a design failure. They have to slip to regulate speed, and slippage means heat, and heat means failure.

·
Registered
128 Posts
yes cvt's only work on snowmobiles!! with a big rubber belt, actually work quite well in that capacity!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
5 Participants
Triton3.5
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing