Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How fast should a 02' taurus with the vulcan 3.0 be creeping? My taurus is able to keep itself from falling backwards down a hill at a stop when at something like a 15 - 20 degree incline, foot off the brake. My brother says this is actually a major issue. He also said that when cruising around 60+, torque converter locked, pressing the gas pedal makes the rpm's move, and apparently that shouldn't happen when the converter is locked?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Strangely enough, my 09 taurus-vulcan with 80K has what I thought was a similar problem. When lifting the the throttle on a slight downhill the car doesn't slow at all; when lifting at more than a slight downhill it actually accelerates. In all other respects the car performs normally: normal idle rpm, normal acceleration, no codes, etc.
And as far as I can recall it holds itself on a hill at Idle rpm.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did a couple small drives just now with my brother, and we have confirmed that the torque converter does not lock. At all. You have the same issue it seems. Yet we have entirely different cars.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I did a couple small drives just now with my brother, and we have confirmed that the torque converter does not lock. At all. You have the same issue it seems. Yet we have entirely different cars.
Idle warm in "N" should be ~750 rpm. When the A/C clutch cycles on, may be a bit higher as the PCM adds some more IAC to make up for the added load.
Lockup of TQ occurs only after the tran fluid reaches some warm temp. True for my Taurus's and my Buick. In cold weather I get 4 miles on the interstate before the rpm drops. The TQ unlocks when the throttle goes to idle stop or near. When accelerating again, bout half second to one second delay before the lockup occurs.
When driving on level road steady road speed, note the rpm. Ease down on the throttle a bit and no rpm change should be seen except that the mph will change a bit. Let off the throttle and the rpm should drop quickly a bit as in coasting the lockup will not be present. Only TQ coupling slip.
TQ will not lock if the PCM does not see adequate tran fluid temp. TQ will lock in gear #3 as well as OD.
-chart-

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I managed to get the converter to lock, but only after resetting the learned adaptations for the transmission, whatever you call that.
My brother drove it for a long while a couple days ago and the converter had never locked up.

And I was talking about how fast the car moves when creeping.

What is the module that controls everything the transmission does, the PCM?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
PCM manages engine, tran, and security. It needs to have good inputs to do that. As to what is first. Low fans come on with coolant at some temp, and I do not remember but ~200F or higher. Need to see what the OBD output on coolant temp, and ambient air temp is. Low speed depends on a resistor and it can fail. Low speed goes through a volts dropping resistor for low speed, and direct battery volts for high speed.
-chart-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts