Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know of any good credit cards with low rates and cash back and all that kind of good stuff. I just recently got all mine paid off and am cancelling them, but want to find one good one to keep for emergencies - plus if it has good cash back I will use it for gas and stuff just to get some money back on it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! The key things I am looking for are: it must have online account management, low APR and cash back.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
I don't know if mine has cash back, but I have an MBNA Mastercard. Relatively low APR (at least mine is) and online management. You can schedule payments, etc online...

JR

·
Premium Member
2,075 Posts
My Capital One Platinum has a 4.5% APR, but I have never been charged interest because I pay it off every month, don't want those bastards to make any money off me.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Citibank Dividends Card - Earn a full 5% cash back on supermarket, gas station and drugstore purchases and 1% on all other purchases, up to $300 a year. They'll automatically send a check whenever you accumulate $100.

Not many people know this, but if you're in good standing with the credit card company, you can call them, ask to bump up your minimum payment, your interest rate usually goes down for doing so.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Pay your bills on time once you do get approved. Make small purchases often, and pay on time. Also, don't apply for like 15 credit cards, because that lowers your credit rating.

JR

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Originally posted by UnDeR EsTiMaTeD@Apr 22 2004, 12:36 PM
Seems like I can never be approved... I always have a "limited credit file". Any tips on getting me approved?
It all depends on your age, how long you've worked, any outstanding loans, credit score, how much you have saved up. Apply for student cards, they're basically the same thing as regular cards, but with a lower spending limit and easier to get. Try MBNA or BankOne, they're usually begging for customers.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Zack@Apr 22 2004, 01:05 PM
Citibank Dividends Card - Earn a full 5% cash back on supermarket, gas station and drugstore purchases and 1% on all other purchases, up to $300 a year. They'll automatically send a check whenever you accumulate $100.

Not many people know this, but if you're in good standing with the credit card company, you can call them, ask to bump up your minimum payment, your interest rate usually goes down for doing so.
Now that's sounding good - Thanks!

Thanks for the tip, too. I'll try that sometime.

When I called CapitalOne to cancel they tried to sell me "credit protection" that is $.89 for every $100 on the card and if I get it - it will automatically pay the minimum payment on the card every month if I lose my job.
I was like, well, first of all I'm cancelling the card. Second, the balance is ZERO. And third, I've got enough in savings to pay the minimum for quite a long time, lol. The minimum was usually like 10 bucks.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by UnDeR EsTiMaTeD@Apr 22 2004, 12:36 PM
Seems like I can never be approved... I always have a "limited credit file". Any tips on getting me approved?
I've heard that it's possible to somehow "lock" your credit history for privacy reasons and whatnot - I wonder if that inadvertently happened to you? Might want to call the credit bureau and ask.

If it's not that - it could be because you don't have much credit history - have you had car loans in your name or other credit cards or anything financed - utilities in your name or any of that stuff? If you've had little to none, it's possible that may be affecting it, too. There could simply be "not enough history" or "limited information" for them to decide whether to accept you.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Zack@Apr 22 2004, 01:05 PM

That sounded so good - I just signed up!

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I gota question bout those credit cards. If i recall...cash back requires you to have a running balance with the company (ie. Visa). Like you pay off the bill some each month for years.?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by Nick986@Apr 22 2004, 04:45 PM
I gota question bout those credit cards. If i recall...cash back requires you to have a running balance with the company (ie. Visa). Like you pay off the bill some each month for years.?
Well, it says they calculate it by average daily balance, so if I start using it at the beginning of the month then pay it off at the end of the monthly cycle after the statement is done, then I should get my bonus/cash back based on the average balance, so the more I pile up, the more I get back if I understand it correctly from what I read.

·
Premium Member
501 Posts
Originally posted by Nick986@Apr 22 2004, 04:45 PM
I gota question bout those credit cards.  If i recall...cash back requires you to have a running balance with the company (ie. Visa).  Like you pay off the bill some each month for years.?
I think that's with Discover Card. They also offer different percentages for different stores. There's another clause in the membership agreement that forfeits cashback if you shop at certain stores. Very shady if you ask me.

The Citibank Dividends tells you straight up that all purchases made from wholesalers are excluded.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225+Apr 22 2004, 10:23 AM-->QUOTE (jason8225 @ Apr 22 2004, 10:23 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-UnDeR EsTiMaTeD
@Apr 22 2004, 12:36 PM
Seems like I can never be approved...  I always have a "limited credit file".  Any tips on getting me approved?
I've heard that it's possible to somehow "lock" your credit history for privacy reasons and whatnot - I wonder if that inadvertently happened to you? Might want to call the credit bureau and ask.

If it's not that - it could be because you don't have much credit history - have you had car loans in your name or other credit cards or anything financed - utilities in your name or any of that stuff? If you've had little to none, it's possible that may be affecting it, too. There could simply be "not enough history" or "limited information" for them to decide whether to accept you.
[/b]
I still live at home, so I don't have any utilities in my name. Nor, do I have any loans. I guess I could apply for a student card, but the ones I've looked at require at least good credit.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by UnDeR EsTiMaTeD+Apr 22 2004, 09:59 PM-->QUOTE (UnDeR EsTiMaTeD @ Apr 22 2004, 09:59 PM)
Originally posted by [email protected] 22 2004, 10:23 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-UnDeR EsTiMaTeD
@Apr 22 2004, 12:36 PM
Seems like I can never be approved...  I always have a "limited credit file".  Any tips on getting me approved?

I still live at home, so I don't have any utilities in my name. Nor, do I have any loans. I guess I could apply for a student card, but the ones I've looked at require at least good credit. [/b]
I see. Try applying for the Student Visa from Citi Bank at:

Citi Bank

I had one and got it myself (no cosigning or anything). I got an introductory rate of 0% for 9 months, too. It was pretty good - it'd be a great chance just to build credit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts