Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is crazy--So two days after I remove my intake silencer, I'm driving and the car stalls, no biggie--I just start it while going in neutral. I park the car, and before I can shut it off again, it stalls again--I was able to start it again no prob. in neutral, and then put it in park. BUT, on the way home, first the car is acting normal, then all of a sudden I feel like I've gotten a performance chip X 100--the car is shifting so hard it shakes--I'm only putting my foot half down on the accelerator and the 1, 2 shift is squealing the tires (this would be cool, if this wasn't probably a malfunction), the 2 to 3 shift is violently shaking the car. Anyway, I get up to highway speed, and no prob. (cause no shifts). Once I get off the freeway, its stall time again--this time it does not want to restart. I do manage to get it to start again, but this time instead of hard shifts, the shifts take like 5 seconds to decide to switch gears. I do get it home.

The next day I get it towed to my family mechanic (a good guy) and he says the car is acting fine. He cant get it to do anything?--what's up with this? At first I thought, it was because he prob. isnt driving it enough to get the engine hot, but then again, it was having all those hard shift probs. while cold.

Anybody got any ideas? I don't wanna have this happen again.

Thanks in advance,

·
Registered
36 Posts
That didnt sound right my first reply....If it was only the trans. Did you check the vacum lines for cracks?

James

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Boggs, I'm not sure if its the transmission or something else. And I guess I'm a newbie...I don't know what the vaccum lines are/where they are.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do y'all think it could have been the engine's computer learning the new air input without the air intake restrictor?

·
Registered
36 Posts
That sounds logical.

Check the lines to and from the tranny and make sure they are all connected. But I am sure the mechanic checked that.

Your last idea sound good to me. ( I am no expert though) To be on the safe side I would make sure it isnt spatting any codes at you .

James

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, got the car home from my mechaninc today (thankfully no charge) and it was fine for about 10 miles and then started doing the same thing again. Mechanic must have not driven it very long. Any more suggestions? Thanks in advance guys.

By the way, you're talking about the engine's codes right? Cause I don't know how to check that.

X

·
0 Posts
The car will not automatically relearn what you do. You have to disconnect the battery for a little while, then reconnect. Drive it how you normally do. The ac may not work for a little while. To help the car learn faster, [while it is warm]let the car idle for a minute, then a minute with the ac on.

For codes, you can to go an autozone and they read them for free. Most likely if you are not seeing a check engine light you dont have any, but sometimes they are there and it doesn't flash the light.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts