Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well me and my friend were thinking about making a project car for a while. we finally sat down and figured out a plan. mid mount SHO engine into a CRX (he likes imports, i like my SHO, but he loves my engine :p ) anyway, i was just wondering what a good price on a wrecked SHO would be, or if anyone has the engine and subframe lying around. and also how much for a crx, no engine blown engine, just need the body. i know this is going to be alot of work, but he's a mechanic, i have some pretty decent fabbing skills. and we both have way too much free time on our hands. if anyone is interested i'll put up a more detailed plan of what's going to be done. please no flames. we just thought it would be alot of fun to put a 220 hp engine in a car that weighs next to nothing (before weight reduction) any ideas, comments leads on the SHO or CRX would be helpfull.
thanks
matt

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
Sounds like the recipe they used to create the SHOgun a few years ago. Take one Ford Festiva, add a SHO drivetrain in the back seat, some fender flares and GO!!!!

Leno has one.....

·
Premium Member
8,708 Posts
get EVERYTHING that goes with the motor and tranny. OMG its gonna be tough to do, but if you pull it off...its gonna be insanely fast.

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
It can be done since Beck Performance made some SHOGUN's which were Festiva's with the SHO motor mounted in the rear to make the car mid-engine. Jay Leno even owns a NOS equipped one. SHO Shop installed a Vortech in one. How I would do it is to install a whole subframe with the engine and transmission in the rear. The other way would be to make a frame for the car and install the body over it. This is the way my friend installed a 383ci Chevy and Turbo 350 tranny in a 1972 Honda 600. A much smaller car than the CRX. Tiki fab'ed a tube frame, mounted the stock front suspension with custom coil overs. He next installed a narrowed 7" Ford rear end in the rear part of the frame. The 7" rear end was chosen so we can mount 13" wheels in the rear. The front still had the stock 10" wheels. He made a 4 link system in the back that went from his custom frame to top and bottom of the rear end. Next he installed a panhard rod to locate the rear end laterally. Next came the custom coil over that went between the rear end and the top of the frame. The 383 was installed on solid mounts on the frame and the turbo 350 was installed. The custom driveshaft was 6" yoke to yoke. He next mounted the body to the frame. The firewall was removed and so was most of the floor. Using push rods and levers the brake system was mounted to the frame beneath the pedals. A small brake and gas pedal was used since the transmission and engine tunnel ate in to leg room big time. Since the area that originally had the front seat is all transmission we sat on the rear bench seat which was right over the rear axle. Tiki modified the rear spare tire cover to hide the differential housing from the rear. The exhaust system was custom made headers attached to two cherry bombs and made a turn to exit before the rear wheels. We weighted the car at a truck scale and it weighted 1312 pounds with Tiki in the car. I went on a couple of test rides and the car was insane. Stop on the gas in any gear and the 13" BFG tires will instantly melt up although we had the widest 13" tires made installed. Since the engine had 11.5 to 1 compression forged pistons, a huge cam and 780 Holley (he wanted to put on a set of hillborn injectors, but we would have had to cut into the windshield for the velocity stacks to clear) the car shook like crazy and loud. We got the funniest looks from people when they saw us waving from the back seat of this thing. Over the 25 years that have passed since this Honda was created I wonder from time to time what has happened to Tiki and his toys. I wish that I still had the pictures that I lost.

Sorry for the long post and my nostalgia.

Bob

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
part of what is going to be interesting about this, is that we do not intend on keeping the engine transverse mount. i was watching speed channel one day and saw some ferrari with a mid mount but not transverse. this way we can put the mustang tranny on, and hook it up to a 4.11 rear end. pick up some more acceleration and have a tranny/clutch/diff than can handle the power we hope to be throwing down on this thing. may be a while before we find the right CRX for the right price, but once the work starts, lots of pics will follow. who knows, maybe even a how-to :p
thanks for the support
matt

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
how do you plan to bolt up a tranny like that? Custom plate?

I would think it would be much easier to just use a sho 5 speed for several reasons. First off its cable clutch, second, theres a cable shifter availible. Not tomention its bolt on.

Brad

·
Registered
96 Posts
i was watching speed channel one day and saw some ferrari with a mid mount but not transverse
to find a mainstream tranny like this, that will handle the power will set you back over 2k, no joke. i was pricing parts needed for a gt-40 kit car and they use porsch units that cost $2k or takeout from ford panteras $even more.

however, i know that subarus have this type of tranny as do some intrepid, those are junkyard fodder. sounds like an awsome idea!!! Peace_Corey

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
SHO engines have been used in RWD applications w/ longitudinal orientation before. There is an article in Hot Rod magazine that even goes into some detail about how to mate a RWD Aerostar manual trans via custom bellhousing and install the SHO engine in a street rod. (I'll have to dig that article up and post it here for you.) The difference is, the engine is up front. A few dune-buggies/baja cars are using the SHO engine in this way, but again, it's front-engine. Basically put, you will have the engine up your ass if you insist on mid-engine RWD with a longitudinal oriented engine.

With the weight of the car the motor is pushing at about half that of a normal SHO Taurus, there is really no disadvantage to using the stock Mazda transaxle. The main drawback with the Mazda transaxle is that it blows diffs under the strain of the heavy 4-door midsize Taurus, which wouldn't be a problem at all with the reduced weight of the POS--I mean CRX. And with the stock transaxle with its CV joint setup, you can go to a true independent rear suspension quite easily, versus having to stick with a solid rear axle or spending mucho bucks just to get some kind of IRS in the car.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
This sounds like a really cool idea, althought I think that 4.11 gears would be a little too much torque for this car. The frame is definitely not made to withstand the torque that 4.11s would put to the ground. If I were you, I'd go with 3.73 at most...

JR

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you are serious....well than i have a Gen 2 with 107 ki....looking to get rid of?
how much do you want for it? we don't need a perfect condition SHO, and honestly i'd feel bad ripping one apart :lol2. is it 5 speed or auto?

The frame is definitely not made to withstand the torque that 4.11s would put to the ground.
we were thinking the same thing, and decided that a roll cage would help alot with that problem, gonna need a wheelie bar too.

there is really no disadvantage to using the stock Mazda transaxle. The main drawback with the Mazda transaxle is that it blows diffs under the strain of the heavy 4-door midsize Taurus, which wouldn't be a problem at all with the reduced weight of the POS--I mean CRX.
thanks for that bit of info, you just saved us a huge headache and some cash. and yes a bit of a POS lol, we wanted to go sleeper but my friend wouldn't go for putting it in a geo metro, besides, we want to do the mid mount because it would be just plain badass to look through the back window and see an SHO engine chillin there. but my other concern is the halfshafts. i have heard of those snapping when launched with slicks. with the reduced weight will the stock ones hold up alright?

and on a different issue, how legal is it to relocate the gas tank? this is intended to be a track car but i would like it to be street legal as well. and on the issue of street legality, is there a noise limit on the exhaust? if not side pipes may be the way we are going. the planning phase is going pretty well here, and hopefully we'll find the CRX soon and get to hacking that up.

after this is up and running, and we get it to the strip, we plan on twin turbos. not getting them anytime soon, but if anyone has anysuggestions as for what to build up to handle about 15 psi, please let me know, because we are going to rebuild the motor, tune it up, 60K and everything on it before it's installed. i know we will need 9.0 CR pistons, i'm pretty sure the crank is forged and the rods/pins are strong enough. if anyone knows differently please chime in.

As long as you call this creaton the SHX!
yup, ran it past my friend, he likes it too, so i think it's official.

thanks once again for all the help, and suggestions,
matt

·
Premium Member
2,620 Posts
The SHO motor is plenty strong. Tim has over 40K on his turbo SHO and runs up to 12psi. I would look at the installations in Sand Rail and Pike Peak runners to see what transmission they are using. One SHO motor has been installed in a Lotus Elite too.

Bob

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
why not drop some more weight and use the 3.4L sho motor? i am assumeing that the alum v8 weights less. are you going to use a cobra rear end? if you did that then you could mounts the enging to the trany to the rear end with out drive shafts and realy reduce the over all length of the power plant.

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by crackhead@Sep 26 2004, 08:47 PM
why not drop some more weight and use the 3.4L sho motor? i am assumeing  that the alum v8 weights less.  are you going to use a cobra rear end? if you did that then you could mounts the enging to the trany to the rear end with out drive shafts and realy reduce the over all length of the power plant.
Yep, the 3.4L V8 is lighter than the iron-block 3.0/3.2L V6. The real problem is that 3.4L motors are much harder to come by and more expensive. A decent V6 SHO engine can be had for $500 or less. Assuming you can find a V8 SHO engine, expect to pay a few thousands bucks.

Or better yet, get a Nissan engine and forget about Ford and Yamaha. :p

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Originally posted by ATauri_92@Sep 27 2004, 11:07 AM
What does nissian have over Yamaha?
Availability. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
my sho is unfourtunatly an auto.....still interested?? What does nissian have over Yamaha?
that's ok, it's got a 3.2 in it :p , how much do you want?

Yep, the 3.4L V8 is lighter than the iron-block 3.0/3.2L V6. The real problem is that 3.4L motors are much harder to come by and more expensive.
another problem with them is that IIRC they can't handle much boost. and also they have little to no after market. i know the V6 dosen't have much of one either, but a few easy bolt ons, idk how many of them are going to be usefull on this one, but the +40s from midwest sound good.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts