Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I followed a Lincoln Continental to lunch today. Then I was stuck at a traffic ligth starign at a Mercury Sable. And it hit me. they are (as I understand it) the same basic chassis.

Could a Lincoln engine/transaxle be slipped into a Taurus/Sable? Is it even possible?

·
Registered
108 Posts
lol why would you want too? just wondering but i guess anything is possible

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
No one has tried it, IIRC, b/c rough measurements have shown that the Lincoln drivetrain won't fit in our cars. It was discussed a lot though. Try searching the archives... I found these threads under a search for "Lincoln."

Thread #1

Thread #2

There were some more threads, but I can't find them right now.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by 88taurusdude@Apr 9 2004, 02:20 PM
lol why would you want too? just wondering but i guess anything is possible
4.6 Litres
32 Valve
DOHC
V8

Need I say more?

Just someting I was wondering about. I'd never build it, but it would be cool.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Taken from one of the above threads . . .

Well, people told me it would never work but I had to find out for myself. They were right. There is no way in hell a Continental 4.6 is going to fit in any of our cars. This is a pic comparing the 4.6 DOHC to a 302. To give you an idea of the engine size, the 302 might fit into our cars (of course you'd need to do the RWD conversion also) with a lot of relocation. So you can guess that the 4.6 is just a pipe-dream.

·
Registered
83 Posts
i was thinking the same thing bout a taurus and a thunderbird is there any change for the drivetrain to transfer from a thunderbird to a taurus granted that there would be some modifications made?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Originally posted by inverse1216@Apr 17 2004, 05:31 PM
i was thinking the same thing bout a taurus and a thunderbird is there any change for the drivetrain to transfer from a thunderbird to a taurus granted that there would be some modifications made?
That's like saying a geo metro and an Aston martin db7 are the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts