Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I am pullign this stuff apart soon, but its awful cold here and will be a pain in my butt. Anyways, when I hit the brakes, I get some crazy grinding noises - and wen I say crazy, I mean a lot more than jsut some worn brakes back there.

So, here is the scenerio - we had a bad snow storm here and I had to drive to Farmer Jack because I wanted some cookies. So, next day I am out driving and notice this grinding soud when I hit the brakes. So, what are the chances that something actually got inside the drum and is makeing those noises? I've never actually done rear brakes before, so any suggestions of what to look for? Except for a big piece of asphalt or something stuck in there?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Are you sure it's the rear that's grinding and not the front brakes? Could be your rear brake shoes are worn out and grinding against the inner wall of the drum. Chances are slim that something got in there but there's always a slight chance. The backing plate of the drums will usually have a small removable rubber cover used to adjust the drum brakes and something may have gotten in there but I think it's highly unlikely.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Well, if it sounds like a snowplow digging up snow on the road, it might just be that your brakes pads are gone and ya need new rotors.

I had this problem with the Intrepid, needed brand new rotors (grinding metal on metal there, not good!), and the Taurus had a grinding, but it just needed the Rear brake pads....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, today I actually had a chance to check the car out... and here in Detroit, it has probably been the coldest and windiest day in a long time so needless to say this was a miserable time. But, I checked them out, and the drum brakes I THOUGHT I had actually were disc brakes - so that was a bonus. And, upon taking it apart it was time to change everything, so I did and problem is solved.

But, what a racket it made - I had never heard brakes sound that bad before. I mean going from totally quiet to ungodly loud in an instant. Crazy. But, the good part is that all is well.... new pads and rotors, such a fun thing to do on such a cold day. Blah

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm in dearborn actually. Ford country, huh? SCS is right down the road just about... I used to paly hockey out there all the time. So, what do you think of this weather? Perfect time for me to do my brakes, huh?????

1 - 6 of 6 Posts