Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intermittently when starting the engine, it sounds like a misfires or something wrong happens during the starting and then the gauges go crazy and bang against the home position while making fast clicking noises. Then all the info is reset like "miles to E" and "MPG", but not the trip odometer or timer.

I have a video, but I took it with my cellphone and its kinda hard to see and hear.

Crazy Gauges and Crazy Startup Video

Anyone else had this happen? Time to see Ford? It happens so intermittently that I don't want them to tell me they couldn't make it happen. That is why I tried to make a video, but the camera on my cellphone is old school.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Is the battery good? I know on a lot of late model Fords a weak battery will cause the type of gauge fluctuation you're describing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the battery good? I know on a lot of late model Fords a weak battery will cause the type of gauge fluctuation you're describing.
[/b]
Good idea, I don't know. Its a 2005 with low miles (40K), I'd think the factory battery is still good. I'll have to throw my multimeter on it.

This happens very intermittently, I thought for sure it would be a computer thing. I hope it is this simple.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do not think it is the battery. I started it in the very cold with no problems yesterday. It happens with no rhyme or reason.

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Did the car start in the video?

looks to me like you are just loosing power to the PCM relay which should be hot anytime the key is in run or start.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
I do not think it is the battery. I started it in the very cold with no problems yesterday. It happens with no rhyme or reason.
[/b]

the crazy guages happened to me on my 04....it would just do it for no real reason for asbout a year....then the car wouldnt start so i knew it was the battery

replaced the battery and no crazy gauges or anyhting

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did the car start in the video?

looks to me like you are just loosing power to the PCM relay which should be hot anytime the key is in run or start.
[/b]
She starts right up every time. You don't see at the end of the video, but the tach comes up to where it should be after all the clicking against the home position ends. Next time it happens I'm going to get a better video, but it hasn't happened since that video.

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

the crazy guages happened to me on my 04....it would just do it for no real reason for asbout a year....then the car wouldnt start so i knew it was the battery

replaced the battery and no crazy gauges or anyhting
[/b][/quote]

How old was your battery when you changed it out of your 04?

I'm thinking I might have a finicky battery because my bull was a rental before I bought it and probably didn't get the best battery care. I was reading the battery article in the wiki and it probably saw all the conditions that batteries don't like.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
LAST UPDATE :

The crazy gauges came back with a vengeance and started happening more often so I decided to try the battery. The computer update obviously did not fix the issue for the long run.

I heard a radio ad for a great deal on a Motorcraft battery (59.99 after mail-in rebate) at my service department's Quick Lane. What luck!
I went there on March 28th to get a battery at a sweet deal and the Quick Lane advisor told me that they tested my battery and I did not need a new battery. I believe him because when my car was originally at the service department on March 6th for the issue when they did the computer update and, they marked on the inspection report card that my battery was 100%!

I then returned on April 6th because I have now ruled out the battery and suspected something covered under my warranty (computer, voltage regulator) is bad and they should fix it. Oh and it is annoying as you can imagine.

I get a phone call later from the service advisor that their tech (one of the best in the nation, so they say) says it is the battery. He found codes in the computer that the computer is not getting the proper voltage all the time.
I let him keep digging himself into a hole. $120 for the diagnostic because it was not covered under my warrant and $100 for a battery....
Boy did he get an earful!

I am going to give Arlington Heights Ford a rest and stick with your opinions! Greater minds are here and it will be easier on my pocket book.
:notworthy:

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Check your grounds.
The cluster itself may be toast, hard to say though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts