Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I have a 2004 Ford Taurus SES I bought used. It was a demo car and I bought it in 2005. It had a water leak on the front passenger's side floor but it has since been fixed. The computer in my car has always been messed up. Sometimes, it will say 0 miles till empty when I have a full tank and it states that I only get 10 miles to the gallon.

The real problem I have lately is the computer states: Check Brake System. I got it checked and there is not problem. This comes on here and there and is usually off the screen so quick you can barely read it. Once in a blue moon, it stays on for a long time and keeps beeping check brake system. Also flashing by very quickly (I'm talking milliseconds) are the miles till empty and 'brake system data error.' I filmed this and was able to pause it on this message to read it. This doesn't stop unless you turn off the car. I've also been experiencing the 'Theft' light occasionally coming on. If I am stopped, the car will stall and has difficulty starting back up. If I'm driving, the car lurches and hesistates like it's going to stall, but it doesn't.

I also have a waterleak in the trunk. My mechanic tried to find the problem with no luck. He said that he got an error message on the computer indicating that the computer wasn't working correctly, but they were unable to find the problem. Any suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
What kind of scan tool did the mechanic use? A scan tool that reads ALL codes (P, C, B, U) is really needed as this sounds like a specific module or network problem. What did he mean by "the computer"?? Your car has 6 or more "computers" in it.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Side Topic, water in the trunk
There is a thread on this subject that covers all different pathways - glued metal seam, plastic rivets, fasteners for rear light housing, trunk grommet, etc. Fix can be tricky but definitely doable.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^ +1

Wifes old 01 Vulcan had trunk leak. She stood outside with hose with me in trunk with flashlight. Very easy to spot the leak at driver side seam roughly above the RCU. I was just glad she decided to open the trunk and let me out!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
^^^^ +1

Wifes old 01 Vulcan had trunk leak. She stood outside with hose with me in trunk with flashlight. Very easy to spot the leak at driver side seam roughly above the RCU. I was just glad she decided to open the trunk and let me out!
Make sure you're on good terms with the spouse before trying this. You do NOT want to hear that latch shut and then hear her mutter something about "sleeps with da fishes."

·
Registered
49 Posts
Side Topic, water in the trunk
There is a thread on this subject that covers all different pathways - glued metal seam, plastic rivets, fasteners for rear light housing, trunk grommet, etc. Fix can be tricky but definitely doable.
Go get a few bottles of baby powder. Open your trunk and pour some on a wash cloth or towel then brush it, pat it or whatever to coat the seals with the powder. Close trunk and pour some on any sealing point.
Add water for a while (more than 5 minutes). Then let your car sit and dry off a bit. Open trunk and look for powder trails.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you everyone for the suggestions. I'm going to find out what scan was used and what error code came up. Is it possible that the water leak is causing the computer to do this? I can't say for sure, but it seems to mostly happen after bad weather. Now it says I get 6 mpg.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I thought the problem had corrected itself since it didn't do this for almost 2 months. I stalled out on a cold day and pretty much the Check Brake System will come on again 2 out of 3 times of driving the car at very low or no accerlation. Or during breaking at low speeds. I noticed though, it also happens with the blinker on a lot too. I've had 3 directional switches replaced in my car since i bought it. They keep going bad. It was donig the check brake system and then the blinker was on and it was grinding and going slower and faster. Could the directional switch be doing this? I've had this one in for a bout a year.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So I brought my car to the mechanic again. He said that the problem seems to be coming from the Smart Junction Box. Fiddling with that made the car lose power. We'll see what happens. I ordered a new one from Ford and should get it soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UPDATE: It has been just about 4 months and my car is beginning to stall again. It stalls like 5 times in a row. Theft light comes on and the car just stalls. It happened on two occasions after rainstorms and I do have that leak in the trunk. The stalling hasn't always been consistant with rain, but these last two times have been. And I occasionally get CHECK BRAKE SYSTEM

The car idles funny. It revs up and down. I noticed taht I can figure out when it will stall. If I have the AC on, the AC goes in and out and then suddenly, car's dead. Did anyone ever find a solution? The smart junction box didn't help

·
Registered
437 Posts
Make sure you're on good terms with the spouse before trying this. You do NOT want to hear that latch shut and then hear her mutter something about "sleeps with da fishes."
No No No! You are supposed to put the wife in the trunk then keep hosing down the car until she submits to stop maxing your credit card!:D

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wondering where your source of leak was on the passenger side as I'm having this issue and it's been a bugger! Also have an issue with the brake system data error code when my auto start car starter fails to start the car any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts