Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Posted on here a few months ago and problem was resolved... now it is back with a vengeance!!!

Here is the history...
Misfire with codes P0301 and P0300... changed spark plugs, wires, iac valve, coil pack tested fine, still misfire... engine light would come and go. Was ready to give up, but bought $4 bottle of engine de-gunk cleaner, put it in, changed the oil and voila, problem resolved. That was about 3-4 months ago. No issues to speak of since.

Last week, went to take car and it had a terrible rough idle, by the time I got around corner in neighborhood, CEL was flashing, turned around, took it home. Code is P0301. Disconnected battery cables to clear codes, did the engine de-gunk process, changed oil. Still rough idle, but no engine light. Been taking it for short drives to try and get code... no luck. Drove 6 miles this am, runs rough at idle, terrible rough at take off, seems to be better at about 40mph. Ran a/c last 2 miles, much, much rougher. By the time we got home, smelled terrible burning smell and rotten egg smell...

At a total loss at this point... Any suggestions?

·
Registered
23,363 Posts
I would examine plug and wire on #1 cylinder (pass. firewall) and search for vacuum leaks (esp. the pcv hose area).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The reason your CEL was flashing is because of the P0301, the cylinder wasn't firing and it was dumping raw fuel into the engine that wasn't being ignited. This can cause Catalyst damage so the CEL will flash. With those codes I would also check your CPS (Cam Position Sensor) they can cause these codes if they start to go south, any squeaking while the car is at idle ?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the rotten egg smell is from the cat. pull the plugs and see which ones are fouled. also after you run the car look at the cats and see if any one of them is glowing red. with the extra fuel getting dumped into the system its possible its getting clogged. it is very possible the cam sensor is bad.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No recent engine repairs. Pulled spark plugs when we did engine de-gunk and oil change. All looked fine. No smoke, changes in oil color or consistency other than the typical thinning from the engine de-gunk. No squeaking and the cam shaft synchronizer was repaired about 6 months ago. Had it towed to repair shop to inspect for vacuum leaks and such... will keep you posted... SOOOO Frustrating!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
SWILLIAMSAZ I had some intermitent misfire (one and five, then just five) issues and nasty idle as well until 3 days 150 miles ago. I went through plugs, wires, coil pack, and vacuum test. I was at a complete loss until I saw the battery light flicker on and off a couple of times. I thought more trouble but it was a flicker of hope :) . Bad cell on the battery! I changed the battery and also cleaned the connector to the regulator, looked like dielectric grease was packed in there too thick. My car would still start great and operate everything so it threw me off the trail. Should only take a moment to check but I haven't had any lights since and my idle is back to normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts