Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi Everybody,
I took the above picture from a post by Marty182 back in 2007. Unfortuantly I have the same problem. The threads on the end of the shaft survived and are in good shape. I have another pulley assembly that I am going to try and take apart and put on the original shaft. So far that hasn't been easy either. I won't get back to it until this weekend. If anybody has experienced this problem, I would like to hear how you fixed it. I would still like to get the old shaft out if possible, but it is really frozen in there. Any miracle workers out there. Thanks for any advice you can throw my way.

Ed

·
Registered
71 Posts
Left hand thread, correct? It's a Duratec by the looks of the three mounts. Pull the starter and make a flywheel holding tool from a piece of angle iron, then put a 15/16 wrench on the hex and have a go. If that fails, use a pipe wrench and cheater bar on the hex.

Bill

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bill,
It is a 1999 Duratec. I am still trying to come up with different ways to go at thi problem. I have put a lot of force on this already, it is really in there. I am afraid I could actually damage the flywheel. Don't want to cause even more problems. If I can't get the new assembly apart, one option I may try is to cut the shaft so I can put an impact socket on it again. Prior to doing that I would like to heat it up cherry red with a torch. Anybody know if you can rent a torch and if so what would be the right kind to get?

Ed

·
Registered
619 Posts
Or a method I used once in a junkyard to get a crank pulley off, no access to the flywheel, so no risk of damage.

Remove one of the plugs on the front, stuff a piece of 1/4" nylon or poly (yellow) rope in the plug hole, about 3 or 4 feet. Then turn the crank clockwise slowly until the rope is compressed against the head.

Important: Only do this on the compression stroke, so the valves are closed.

After the engine stops turning, apply whatever force necessary to remove the part. Turn crank backwards slightly to remove the rope. Be sure you left a tail hanging.

Worked for me. YMMV

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Josh,
I know about the seals. I am about ready to sacrifice them if I knew I could get them off. The rope trick I had heard of before for changing valve guide seals. Keep the ideas coming, there has to be a way to fix this. I still have to study the way the pulley assembly is put together. I don't want to break anything else.

Ed

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Finally got it off.

After trying my best I accepted defeat and got some help. I met a guy that has a mobile serice truck for servicing heavy truck and construction equipment. He came over and cut the shaft down to the hex nut on the shaft with a cutoff blade. He then used an impact wrench that he bought from a guy that said it was made back in the 60's. It looked like it too. He uses it on cranes and heavy equipent. He had an industrial air compressor mounted on his truck that put out about 200 psi. He had to hit it about three times, but it finally came off, hooray. Just wanted to put this out there in case someone else has to deal with this. Funny thing is once we got it off and looked at it, the threads looked new, no rust at all, no evidence of Lock-tight. Why it was so tight is a mystery.

Ed

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.