Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My trusty Taurus has run into a small problem, it has the AX4N and has a cracked transmission casing...but the catch is on the top of the transmission. The mechanic believes that the car has not been bottomed out or anything similar.

Have you guys ever heard of something like that happening, and do you think I have a case with Ford. The transmission case goes for 3000AUD and the whole tranmission lists for 9000AUD.

Oh yeah the car has 85000kms

Julian

·
Registered
162 Posts
In USD, that is like $2300 for the case and $6900 for the entire tranny.

That is just insane. Is this from a Ford dealer in Australia? Wow. It may be cheaper to see if you can import a tranny from the US. You can get rebuilt complete units here in the neighborhood of $2500 USD (give or take several hundred dollars). Even with transportation/cargo costs it sure wouldn't top $6900 USD.

Also, how bad is the crack? Is this something that can be repaired? Is it actually leaking fluid?

The US tranny and the AU tranny should be the same, the only thing I could see that might be different is if your Taurus is a right-hand drive model, the engine bay may have different mounts. But...that is something I doubt. I am assuming parts are expensive because the Taurus is not a very popular down there?

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
I've never heard of a problem like that; get the guy to show you the problem, and if it looks like theres no way you could have done it, fight back and say "Hey, this is a defect because of Ford, I could have never done that!" It there any chance your car is under warrenty still?

If worse comes to worse and you must absolutly pay for the repairs, I say drop the car. If bskouby was correct, then there can't be a way your car is worth as much as your transmission. Here in the US, you could get two tauruses (not the newest, but running perfect) for 6000 bucks.

Go buy a Falcon

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well today I am going to take pictures of it. I was told the crack expands when you accelerate and starts pouring fluid onto the exhaust.
The Taurus isn't a popular car down here, thats true, but regardless, the value of the transmission + tax + labour shouldn't have a chance of exceeding the value of the car.
I did find a link which is relevant...AX4N rebuilders guide

Another vexation to beware is the case having a tendency to crack in the area indicated in the illustration below. However, it is difficult to detect these cracks at times due to the “epoxy” type coating that Ford applies to the case. Extreme caution should be taken and the unit should be thoroughly examined from the inside out.
[/b]
I am just curious whether my crack is in the same area, I guess we'll know that soon enough.

Hehehe, I should buy a Falcon, but second hand ones are usually abused badly, and have done heaps of kms and have had many owners. Thats sorta why I went towards the Taurus, it had one previous owner, and very few kms relatively over the entire time they owned the vehicle.

But yes I would rather pay 200 dollars to watch the car get crushed into a little cube, than drop that kinda money into fixing it.

Julian

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just FYI,

The car has been towed to a Ford delearship where they came to the same opinion as the independant mechanic. The transmission appears to have cracked from a manufacturing defect, since there is no damage to the underside of the vehicle. Ford Australia on the other hand, due to the people who work there being PR not mechanically inclined people, are of the belief that the the car is not their problem after the warranty expires.

As you can imagine this is a very annoying situation, which we hope is going to be resolved satisfactorily (plus I want my car back)

Julian

·
Registered
162 Posts
Jasper Transmission (just one of many places to get remanufactured engines/trannies) sells remanufactured units with a 3yr/36000 mile warranty for $1980 plus freight.

I understand that you are "down under" and will have to pay large freight costs, but it may be better to see if you can import a tranny from the US instead of taking it "up the butt" from the local dealership. Perhaps your independent mechanic can assist in ordering a tranny from the US instead of locally. The only real problem I see if there is some sort of duty or tariff on the importation of such a purchase.

Also, what is the car worth down there? In the US Taurus/Sable autos have a very poor resale value. I purchased my 00 Sable LS premium with a duratec and less than 30,000 miles for about 1/3 of the original sticker price (and that was from the local Ford dealer, not private party). I see 01's going for less than 9,000 USD on a regular basis here.

J

·
0 Posts
Dude, I see remanufactured tranny's for Tauruses - that year going on ebay for $600 US. Might want to look there. Also, I would advise bypassing your local people and call the Ford World Headquarters and tell them the issue you're having and explain how the local dealership, etc. doesn't want to do anything. Good luck and I hope all goes well.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah we have been thinking of contacting Ford Worldwide, and also are looking at the alternatives from the US. The problem with that is frieght. (duty can be over come if you gift wrap the transmission hehehehe) The car is worth 12000AUD, or thereabouts, but back when it was new sold for 40000AUD plus on road costs.

Julian

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tranny cases will split open if the hydraulic pressure from the pump gets too high!

Sounds to me like that's what happened: Talk to a knowledgeable trans tech about it. I'd bet there's another problem in that trans that caused the line pressure to spike, and aluminum being what it is..... CRACK!!!!

This isn't something that is just a problem with Fords. I've personally seen a 2-speed GM Powerglide that opened up all around the pump, and would puke fluid as fast as you could dump it in.

If I were in your shoes, I'd find a knowledgeable tech and start talking to them. If you decide to fix this, you'll obviously want to be dead certain it gets fixed right the first time!

Good luck,
Dan

·
Registered
109 Posts
On my previous Taurus, a '96 Vulcan with 108,000 miles, .. I walked out to the garage and noticed transmission fluid all over the floor. I got underneath and there was a huge crack in the trans case. Actually, it was about a 1/2 inch split. Called some tranny shops and tried to drive it to one. Made it about half a block. Had it towed in expecting to have the trans rebuilt..... the guy from the trans shop said.... "You must have run over something to have cracked this trans casing like this Call you insurance company." I said, ........."Ah.....OK. If you say so." Insurance company inspected the case and paid for a rebuilt transmission to be installed. Cost me only the $500 deductible.

So perhaps when you went by that construction site, you heard a loud wack sound under your car.......

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have seen the transmission outside the vehicle, and it looks like something broke inside it and shot into the casing around the differential area (according to the mechanic). Right now the car is getting a second hand transmission put in, and we are going to pursue this matter further with Ford Australia.

In regards to running over something, the insurance assessor and the mechanic both agree that there is no damage to the bottom, meaning I couldn't have run over anything.

Now I have a picture of all the cracking that occured, it seems pretty substantial and I feel somewhat lucky it didn't completely disintegrate.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
In USD, that is like $2300 for the case and $6900 for the entire tranny. 

That is just insane. Is this from a Ford dealer in Australia? Wow. It may be cheaper to see if you can import a tranny from the US. You can get rebuilt complete units here in the neighborhood of $2500 USD (give or take several hundred dollars). Even with transportation/cargo costs it sure wouldn't top $6900 USD.

Also, how bad is the crack? Is this something that can be repaired? Is it actually leaking fluid?

The US tranny and the AU tranny should be the same, the only thing I could see that might be different is if your Taurus is a right-hand drive model, the engine bay may have different mounts. But...that is something I doubt. I am assuming parts are expensive because the Taurus is not a very popular down there?[/b]

Well that not true either because mine has the ax4n and it is 1500 for the entire tranny and there basically the same thing they changed the tranny in 2000

·
Registered
162 Posts
$2500 dealer prices I have seen for rebuilt units.
$1000-$1800 are prices I have seen for aftermarket rebuilt units.

Installation not included.

·
Premium Member
310 Posts
I don't mean to dig up an old post, but in this case where the transmission case cracks -maybe not as bad as Julian's... could the cracks be welded shut?

Is there any particular driving behavior that can contribute to this or is this a manufacturing defact that, if its going to happen, will happen?

Just curious is all. :unsure:

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What I found out regarding this, is that no, you can't repair it. Especially when it cracks near the differential area, it raises questions of what happened inside to cause that. In my case the differential basically started disintegrating.

A transmission expert said that it occured because of the intermittant neutral condition that the AX4N experiences (see here). The car would rev up and drop into gear, putting huge pressure on the diff. Even though my car was fixed for this problem, it was impossible to say how long it had these symptoms before I bought it.

Anyways, note to everyone, transmission starts playing up, get it checked, could be something minor.

Julian

·
Premium Member
8,433 Posts
Originally posted by wozza@Feb 4 2004, 12:07 AM
and do you think I have a case with Ford.

Oh yeah the car has 85000kms

Julian
You have a 9 year old car.

THere isn't any "case" against Ford.

Mike
B)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts