Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman, back in spring you guys got me through the biggest repair I have ever attempted on my drive way...replacing freeze plugs on my 98 Taurus Vulcan. With your help and the Haynes I got through it. (as an aside, It was hot out, I used the rubber ones because nobody had the metal in the right size and now they have contracted and are leaking again...but that's almost funny compared to the rest of this.)

After the freeze plug replacement, I had an engine miss, new plugs, new wires, new coil pack, cleaned fuel injectors, swapped EGR, and the list goes on.

Well guess what.....a couple of weeks ago, my wife came in and informed me her engine was ticking and her oil light was going on, and she had a lot of white smoke. After the engine warms up, everything is fine. She made me take it a "real mechanic" this time. You guys who know whats what know what I am going to say next.

These are my questions:

This car is a 98 with 58K, I have had nothing but problems, multiple brakes, rotors, ball joints, heating, electric, etc.. I don't even know if I want to mess with it.

I priced a motor $1600.00 cash and carry. If I do this I can replace the leaking freeze plugs again, with metal ones. This is a big job for me, but anything to save a buck.

Should I go to the DEALERSHIP, where I know they have worked on the Vulcan. Price $1573.00 for one head. Then I still have freeze plug issue.

Could it be something else that the mechanic is not thinking of and I should not be freaking out???? When I talked to him he said depending on timing chains, how many bad heads, etc this job could run upwards of $2k and the car is not worth fixing.

Hey, thanks for all the help again and Happy New Year!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the heads up on the price.

Talked to the Ford Dealer again, he thinks any cold engine compression testing etc, will be a crap shoot due to leaking freeze plug. Also, he thinks if car got hot enough to crack a head, most likely other problems as well, so replacing engine is way to go.

If anyone knows of a cheaper place to pick up a 98 Vulcan engine in St. Louis, MO let me know..

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
car-part.com, you can find used engines at yards in your area and get prices. Most yards post the mileage on the ones they pull. I wonder if you can put in a low mile vulcan from a gen 4 without mods?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts