Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I finally got sometime today with this beautiful weather to get these in... All who said it was impossible get ready to eat your words :lol2:

Reminder, this is for 99's ONLY, 97-98 Have the harness and different reflectors on their doors.

First off I had to do mine a bit different since the tabs were broken on the plastic housing that held the bulbs so I went about it differently and will yield the same results.

Materials:
96 Reflectors and light Housings (A plus if you have the old door panels to trace the hole)
Screw Driver
Pencil
Box Cutter
Saw Blade
Drill (if you go my route... not needed if the tabs are still good)

Step 1.

Remove your Door Panel.

Step 2.
Begin to remove your red reflector carefully. WARNING, once you go past this step you cannot go back unless you glue these back on... The tabs are melted in so BE CAREFUL if you want to abort. Use a flat head screw driver and be careful, go around in a clockwise motion around the reflector and slowly move it up and down.

Step 3.
Do Steps 1-2 on the other door.

Just for reference these reflectors ARE the same size

Step 4.
If you pulled these parts from another car you will have the old door panel and you can trace the opening where the old light came in. Trace this carefully with a pencil

Step 5.
Take a box cutter knife and start to follow the line you just drew, once you go around peel back the vinyl so it is now white, this will be the area where you will cut out for the light housing. As a suggestion I would go OUTSIDE your line to leave room for the housing, I didnt do this and I had to use alot of sandpaper to make it fit.

Step 6.
This is were it can split off into 2 separate ways, if your tabs are ok, you can put the new housing in now and be all set and done, if your tabs are broken however you will need put the housings behind the door and screw them to the door like so.

The reflector will be glued into that well, if you need to change the bulb you can always take the door panel off and unscrew the screws from the other side to get at the bulb

And that's it so far. All I have left is to wire it to the dome light.. any suggestions as to how I should go about it? I am thinking about just wiring to my foot well lights... either way I think I am going to have to snake the wires through the black things in between the door and car.

What do you all think :lol2:

Super Big Thanks to my girl friend Erica for helping me out with cutting the holes and taking the pictures :)

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,404 Posts
Let me know how you wire them and to what wire. I am also trying to do this mod also ....The only member that I know who has done this is Coneynew...I PM'd him but I never got an answer as to how he wired them up.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (don2775 @ May 25 2009, 08:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727861
Let me know how you wire them and to what wire. I am also trying to do this mod also ....The only member that I know who has done this is Coneynew...I PM'd him but I never got an answer as to how he wired them up.[/b]
Hi Don, I got your PM a while back and I tried to reply but it says that you have that turned off, that might be the reason why you never got a reply... I did send you the write up on the JBL system to your email but I guess you never got that. heh... I can help you out with both but you need to fix your PM settings

since you have a 97 I thought the harness was still behind the door, if not Ill let you know either way

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Nice work Andrew :thumb: Good luck getting them wired up B)

IIRC there is some way you can make that light turn on only when that particular door is opened, and then you won't have to fish wires to the interior.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
Nice work andrew, cant wait to see your car at the meet.

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
My car does NOT have the harness for courtesy lights... so I think that maybe it was just leftover 1996 door panels that were put on 1997 cars.

·
Registered
7,373 Posts
Okay now this is weird...and maybe because you have a Sable, but as I once wanted to do this myself, I can say that (at least my) early build 99 taurus has different sized reflectors melted in than the 96 reflectors I was given :dunno:

Either way, :thumb:

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,404 Posts
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 25 2009, 09:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727866

IIRC there is some way you can make that light turn on only when that particular door is opened, and then you won't have to fish wires to the interior.[/b]
Let me know too, Thanks :thumb:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@Don, I am still getting this message when I try to PM you
The following errors were found
This member has chosen not to be contactable by the board Messenger

This personal message has not been sent[/b]
Perhaps a moderator or admin can help you with this problem... anyway my email is xMasterKatarnx at yahoo dot com

@Kal, I know we talked about this before perhaps blue trim got different moldings or something, it is indeed strange :dunno:

@Sean, I was kinda just going by what other people told me, you are probably right though ;)

Thanks everyone else, I will probably wire them up this Friday since its my next day off :)

·
Premium Member
4,809 Posts
Nice Andrew. I never said it was impossible, but when I tried it a few years ago it was just WAY too much work than I was ready to handle...pretty sure I was 16... :lol2:

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Yeah everyone else has told me that a 97 should have the wiring, but nobody has even been able to show me a picture of what I was looking for. I finally found a 96 at the junkyard, and I definitely do not have that wiring in my car.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Mike, and don't worry Mike I wasn't referring to you haha :p just referring to all the negative comments from a while back

Anyway I found some time today to wire the passenger door, and tomorrow I'll do the drivers door and put up the write up on how I did it.

So far its not that hard just got to be determined 8)

Will add a night shot later when it gets darker :)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Time to wire this....

Tools needed:
Screw Driver
Ratchet Set
Old Coat Hanger (wire type)
Electrical Tape
Wire Cutters
Crimps

As a suggestion I'd remove the fuse for the dome light.. you don't have to.. but just be careful if you don't cause you might blow a few.

First we will start on the passenger door, take the door panel off and cut an old coat hanger and start fishing it through an opening in the door that leads down to the rubber pass through

Once you get it through, it should look like so:

It helps to remove the kick board to get access below and it helps if you have your glove box off...

Next take your wire and tape it to the end of the coat hanger that's on the door

Pull the other end of the coat hanger so it pulls the wire through where the hanger was
The wire should down be in the door, in the pass through and hanging down like so:

Pull up the passenger foot well light, we are going to splice into this guy:

After you splice into that go to the other end where the door is and splice the other end of the courtesy light plug like so:

Done with the passenger side... easy:

Now for the hard part the Drivers side... If you want to take a break now I don't blame you...

This part requires patience...

We start by looking at this guy...

remove the top rubber part like so:

Begin ratcheting it off, there is no end so do it for a bit and pull on the bottom part... it will break into 2 pieces like so:

Remove the 2 bolts holding the round part into the door and push it back just enough to get your trusty coat hanger through and sticking out where the rest of the wires come out of the door.

You are going to attach the wire on the door side again and pull it through so its coming out behind the black box like so...

bolt the box back on the door but make sure you leave enough wire.. you are going to need a bit to fish this through the rest of the pass through and up to the other foot well light by the pedals

remove the drivers side kick panel

get your coat hanger ready and stick it through one of the holes in the rubber pass through... this part is HARD once you fish it through you will need to squeeze your bear hands like I did up there to grab the other end of the coat hanger.... i cut my thumb up from doing this so be careful ;)
It should look like so when done:

Attach your wire coming out of the top of the pass through to the end of the coat hanger and push it through the rubber pass through... MAKE SURE IT IS SECURE AND WONT COME APART AND MAKE SURE ITS NOT TOO THICK WITH TAPE OR IT WILL GET STUCK

once you get it through you can close the pass through up.. I suggest wrapping any extra wire around it though like so:

run the wire along the back of the dash to the other foot well and splice it in... Id suggest using tape on the back of the dash to make sure the wire does not get smart and drop down when your driving ;)

once its spliced and all set re-attach your fuse and watch the light come on!

And there ya have it... I am now the only one that has a 99 with Courtesy Lights... hopefully though I wont be the only one for very long B)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Andrew L

You could have fed the wire thru the drivers door connector for a factory finish. You were 95% there - all you had to do was remove the top cap from the male connector and the rubber boot from the female connector to expose the back sides of each assembly. Then pick an empty and matching hole in both sides and pass the wire thru one side at a time. Re-assemble and everything is hidden out of sight - but kudus on the result anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (oiler1fan @ Jun 1 2009, 08:35 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=729373
Andrew L

You could have fed the wire thru the drivers door connector for a factory finish. You were 95% there - all you had to do was remove the top cap from the male connector and the rubber boot from the female connector to expose the back sides of each assembly. Then pick an empty and matching hole in both sides and pass the wire thru one side at a time. Re-assemble and everything is hidden out of sight - but kudus on the result anyway. :)[/b]
I was going to at first, but it was being too much of a pain... so i decided to just go around it :rolleyes2:

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
After removing two of those driver door connectors at the junkyard one time, I learned how much of a PITA they are. Nonetheless, great work on the installation! Those courtesy lights look great B)

·
Premium Member
2,576 Posts
I would like to add to what nick had posted earlier.
QUOTE (Bull Geek @ May 25 2009, 08:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727866

IIRC there is some way you can make that light turn on only when that particular door is opened, and then you won't have to fish wires to the interior.[/b]
This is a THEORY ONLY. But the Doors are Negatively Triggered. Meaning when the door is opened, it give the GEM a path to ground. Being very crude you could TAP the Door Ajar signal to GEM and use that as the bulbs ground. But they may effect the GEMs ground signal.

Also. You can use a Relay. This could save the GEM from having load issues on the Ajar trigger.

And I imagine a diode in there could not hurt.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts