Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 98 3.0 Vulcan and have a couple, hopefully simple questions.

I have 121k miles on it right now and put about 20k of them on myself in a little over a year. I mainly drive it on highways to commute back and forth to my college which is ~500 miles away. Should I change my transmission fluid/filter? I don't notice any problems aside from it jerking a bit when I am doing 60ish and step on it to pass a car in the U.P. but I think that is normal with most cars.

I have noticed also that my gas gauge is reading wierd. I can fill it up and it will ALMOST go to the full mark but hang JUST below it. It also says that I'm "Empty" but when I fill up I register about 13.5 gallons and the whole time, my gas light does not come on. If it is something that can be fixed easily and cheap (less than $30) I'll give it a try but as long as its nothing major to worry about, I'll just monitor my miles I drive.

Last thing is that I noticed while driving up this weekend that when I would hit the resume button for cruise which I had set around 70, it would rev up to about 3.3k and sit there until I took it off cruise. Then it downshifted to about 2.5k and was fine. Any ideas? I NEED my cruise control for these long drives so I don't want it to go out on me

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
With the mileage you have on this puppy, I'd suggest doing the pan drop, filter change & full tranny fluid pumpout outlined atop this forum, then see how the tranny shifting behaves.

On the fuel gauge, it may be corrosion on the fuel sender, so maybe consider trying some Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus at the pump before filling, so you get good mixing. Chevron claims the Techron can wake up fuel senders that have corrosion contact problems from using fuel with high sulphur content. At the least, Techron will tidy up the fuel injectors, intake valves, piston crowns & heads, of deposits, so even if the fuel gauge low reading isn't a sender contact problem, the engines innards will be all tidy for the coming cold winter starts.

If no joy with the Techron on the low fuel gauge reading, maybe suspect a faulty/leaking sender float.

With this mileage your PCV valve is past due for replacement.
Plugs, wires & O2 sensors probably belong on the suspect list too.

Some thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just this past summer I replaced my O2 sensor, PCV, Plugs, Fuel and Air filter, Cam Synchronizer, Rear Springs and my air freshener :). I will try and see if I can find that Techron stuff and if it doesn't work, I'll deal with it. I guess now I have a project to work on for Thanksgiving break! Might end up taking this to Florida from Michigan too after Christmas if the girlfriend's Sentra isn't fixed up. Would rather have new fluids in it before that

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the taurus holds 16+ gallons of gas. the idiot light comes on roughly when you have 2 gallons left. if a fill up is 13 gallons youre not low enough on gas.
+1 on pcv,o2, and tune up. also check the voltage on the battery and alt. low voltage plays hell on the taurus. with michigan winter coming you do not want to get stuck in the cold

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had some electrical trouble due to some poorly installed HID lights from a backyard mechanic. Ended up with a new battery, Alternator and the mega fuse connecting them mid July. First car I've ever owned that has gone longer than 1 hour without a check engine light or any warning lights for that matter.
I appreciate the suggestions though. If I wouldn't have been forced to replace this stuff I would have had no clue to try it. Very useful info for someone like me who doesn't know much about Cars and is just trying to maintain one.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Ok, good feedback on the maintenance/repairs. Always a good idea to keep the scheduled maintenance up to date, especially if your planning a long road trip. If you don't have an owners manual that outlines the scheduled maintenance items replacement time schedule, you can download one online from a link posted in the "how too section" thread atop this forum.

If you have Advance Auto in your area, they still have the 20oz Techron on a buy one, get one deal, so you'd have one to tidy up this puppys innards, you know give it a "Fall tonic", then have one for a "Spring tonic", to make it feel all "fresh & clean inside", as I remember the old "Black Draught" commercials used to say!!!! lol The 20 oz size will also let you treat more than one fill up, as it's good for 20 gal, so if you wanted too, you could ration it out at 1 oz/gal & get a little longer treatment out of it. Once treated, to get the best results, run most of the treated tank/s out before refilling, so you don't dillute the treatment.

Seeing as how you live in cold country, where roads are salted, be sure to check the soundness of all of your battery to body & engine ground connections, they need to be clean, bright & tight for things to work right & the ones up front get exposed to road spray & are prone to connection problems.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
10,958 Posts
Ok, good feedback on the maintenance/repairs. Always a good idea to keep the scheduled maintenance up to date, especially if your planning a long road trip. If you don't have an owners manual that outlines the scheduled maintenance items replacement time schedule, you can download one online from a link posted in the "how too section" thread atop this forum.

If you have Advance Auto in your area, they still have the 20oz Techron on a buy one, get one deal, so you'd have one to tidy up this puppys innards, you know give it a "Fall tonic", then have one for a "Spring tonic", to make it feel all "fresh & clean inside", as I remember the old "Black Draught" commercials used to say!!!! lol The 20 oz size will also let you treat more than one fill up, as it's good for 20 gal, so if you wanted too, you could ration it out at 1 oz/gal & get a little longer treatment out of it. Once treated, to get the best results, run most of the treated tank/s out before refilling, so you don't dillute the treatment.

Seeing as how you live in cold country, where roads are salted, be sure to check the soundness of all of your battery to body & engine ground connections, they need to be clean, bright & tight for things to work right & the ones up front get exposed to road spray & are prone to connection problems.

More thoughts for consideration, let us know how it goes.
Re to paw
What happened to your pic? ;)

-chart

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Dang Chart, you stole my thunder!!!!! lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.