·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are a couple pics of my 1997 Silver SHO with the following mods

clear front bumper lights
custom made headlights retrofitted with honda s2000 hid projectors
self painted 97 tails to look like 98/99

pic1 - this is a pic with the hid projectors on ... notice how bright they are compared to the turn signals (the turns are white .. so they are the same color as stock halogen lights) ... once you go HID you dont go back ... this is all OEM hid components.. not a kit

pic 2 is just a pic of the rear of the car... the tails are the original orange/red tails that were painted by me with candy transparent paint (3 coats) and clear coat (4 coats) ... looks OEM .. and cost me 4 dollars

pic 3 is a close up pic of the retrofitted headlights.... you can see the s2000 projector mounted in there with a custom black acrylic shroud

pic 4 is just a front end shot of the car... headlights look mean dont they

pic 5 is a pic of the hids against a wall ... notice the sharp cutoff and the REALLY colorful color band (the flicker you see when bumps are hit .. the twinkle

pic 6 is a close up of the color in the cutoff line ... when it flickers.. you get a pretty purple .. blue .. green silver spectrum of colors... VERY eye catching and somewhat annoying to drivers ahead since it flashes so much .. but cool none the less

pic 7 is a pic of the headlights out of the car - when we finished the retrofit ... just to give you a better idea of what they look like since the pics on the car arent the best

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
NIIIIIIIIIIIICE. Im lovin the headlights.

Where in Mass. are you? I am north shore/ metro boston.

-DC

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by duratecchie@Mar 9 2004, 02:24 AM
NIIIIIIIIIIIICE. Im lovin the headlights.

Where in Mass. are you? I am north shore/ metro boston.

-DC
I work in Cambridge and live south of boston in New Bedford

what about you ?

·
Premium Member
6,077 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Sweeeeeeeet. Very nice work.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
Nice, did you paint the orginal reflective backing of the headlight or covered it up? I remember someone doing the same thing but keeping the reflective backing of the headlights on his.

I dunno, is it just me, or HID's on a Gen 3 make it look like its staring at you

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Very nice work! What do the headlights look like at night? (I would like to see a similar picture like the first one, but when it's dark). Does the light fill up the entire headlight lense?

Anyway, great work!

·
Premium Member
3,449 Posts
Originally posted by mass97G+Mar 9 2004, 03:39 AM-->QUOTE (mass97G @ Mar 9 2004, 03:39 AM)
<!--QuoteBegin-duratecchie
@Mar 9 2004, 02:24 AM
NIIIIIIIIIIIICE.  Im lovin the headlights.

Where in Mass. are you?  I am north shore/ metro boston.

-DC
I work in Cambridge and live south of boston in New Bedford

what about you ? [/b]
Im living in Salem right now, but Im originally from Woburn. I goto school in Salem, but I dont dorm, I have an apartment.

-Damon

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by UnDeR EsTiMaTeD@Mar 9 2004, 02:30 PM
Very nice work! What do the headlights look like at night? (I would like to see a similar picture like the first one, but when it's dark). Does the light fill up the entire headlight lense?

Anyway, great work!
i will try and get some night shots .. but to answer your question .. NO they do not fill up the light .. that would defeat the purpose of having a projector beam .. u wouldnt want that to happen anyways as that would be stray light that would cause nasty glare to oncoming drivers... i have a very precise beam that shoots straight onto the road .. extremely sharp

take a look at an s2k at night if you get a chance .. i have the exact same setup

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by 93taurusSX@Mar 9 2004, 02:16 PM
Nice, did you paint the orginal reflective backing of the headlight or covered it up?  I remember someone doing the same thing but keeping the reflective backing of the headlights on his.

I dunno, is it just me, or HID's on a Gen 3 make it look like its staring at you 
not sure what you mean ... i took the outer taillights off the car.. masked off the black areas of the outer tails and then painted them with transparent paint ... they shine perfectly and look oem

i didnt touch the inner tails since there was no need to paint them .. i just could not stand that ugly orange and didnt wanna pay in upwards of 100 for the 98/99 tails

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
I meant the shiny reflector for the Headlight- It looks like you covered them up for the HID nevermind...

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by 93taurusSX@Mar 10 2004, 10:31 AM
I meant the shiny reflector for the Headlight- It looks like you covered them up for the HID nevermind...
the reflector was painted black to avoid glare fom stray light ... and around the projector is a custom made acrylic shroud that was painted black

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by mikehawk@Mar 10 2004, 10:46 PM
Did you have to upgrade or change the wire harness for the hid's? Those look nice, have you ever thought about selling them?
yes i am running an upgraded wiring harness with dual relays

as for selling them ...... anything can be for sale .. if the price is right ...
... pm me if you are interested in em

I

·
0 Posts
I love the headlights...how much work went into those??

You should market those...you could make some serious $$$

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Originally posted by idriveataurus@Mar 11 2004, 11:38 AM
I love the headlights...how much work went into those??

You should market those...you could make some serious $$$
haha i dont think 90% of the people here woudl wanna spend the kinda cash those headlights cost me ...

custom stuff always costs money .. my friend actually did the retrofit for the headlights .. here is a breakdown of what it cost me

265 for 2000 HId projectors (you can get cheaper HID projectors.. but i wanted the best .. and that costs ...)

125 for 2 lexus Is300 HID ballasts

60 for 2 Phillips D2S bulbs

100 for set of new headlights

300 for labor

50 for wiring harness (plug and play)

you add it all up and it is expensive.. but look at the flipside.. there are ricers out there paying 400-500 for crappy hid kits that are junk quality and dont make the beam pattern any better.. if anything WORSE .. because standard halogen headlights were not designed for hid .. therefore the beam pattern is going to be crappy.. or at best .. the same

i have an exact duplicate of the s2000 hid setup .. if anyone in mass wants to check them out .. they are breathtaking ... there is nothing that could compare

i do 90% of my driving at night .. so good road vision is essential to me .. so i didnt mind spending the money on the parts and the work...

not to mention
its a mod that i can say is one of a kind

if you guys are interested in having a retrofit done .. check out hidretro.com ... thats my friends site.. go look at some of the amazing hid retros he has done ..

if anyone on here is interested in my headlights .(they might be for sale for the right price.. i wanna try a different retro) .. then pm me

thanx

Tom

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
another thing to note...

its not as simple as just mounting a projector in a headlight.. there is alot of precise measurement and aiming that goes into this to make sure that the focal point is right and the projectors are evenly spaced from left to right .. back to front to avoid stray light and such

it really is a work of art that very few people can do right

I

·
0 Posts
Holy cow! Those are some serious lights! You spent almost a grand on those??? They seem like they're worth it though, and yes, they are one of a kind... If I had a thousand dollars to blow, I would definitley make those lights

·
Premium Member
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Originally posted by idriveataurus@Mar 11 2004, 12:02 PM
Holy cow! Those are some serious lights! You spent almost a grand on those??? They seem like they're worth it though, and yes, they are one of a kind... If I had a thousand dollars to blow, I would definitley make those lights
haha yeah it is some serious cash and they are some serious lights..

seeing them flicker from blue to purple to silver to green at night is insane .. and the sharp cutoff is awesome too

not to mention i can easily light a 7 lane highway from left to right and extremely far ahead with no problems...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts