Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! I have a couple of small problems and questions to ask. Starting with the basic:

My touchpad has stopped working. Originally, it didn't work, but then it would start working again for a short period of time, but it hasn't worked for about a week now. What should I check? I bet theres a fuse somewhere, but the fact that it didn't just outright die gives me the impression that something else may be amiss. When I say it doesn't work, I mean there is no response from button pushing, not from lights inside or lights in the touchpad itself.
Is there a plug accessible inside the door panel? What other problems could there be? Does anyone have any documentation of the wires so I can trace them and look for a short or something?

Ok, heres the other thing. I picked up some Subframe brushings (to the best of my knowledge), and they look kinda odd. I'm posting some pictures of them below. Do they look correct, or did I get the wrong peice entirely? I don't wanna get under my Taurus, drop the subframe, and find out that I don't have the right piece. That would be teh suck.

Also, lastly, what is the best way to drop the subframe, and if this doesn't solve my clunking problem (it isn't the endlinks), what else could it be?

Thanks for looking!

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
I am sure Bob knows about subframe bushing or maybe someone else.

As far as the key pad, The key pad switch assembly should be in the bottom of your drivers door. It is towards the back according to my wiring book.

It is connector C500

There should be 2 BK wires, 1 RD wire, 1 YE wire, 1 LB wire, 1 LB/YE wire, and there are two pins not used. It is a round looking connector.
I hope this is just loose or corroded and it should be easily fixable.

·
Registered
902 Posts
they are correct and if i was you i would buy the new bolts also the old ones tend to rust get two kits and they are not expensive(ford had a recall on the rear sub-frame bolts )also when you take the frame down get the wheel aligment done and tell them to do the sub-frame adjustment.also check these motor mounts

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I replaced the subframe bushing on my car, however make sure that the original ones on your car have the four bolts. mine didn't have them, but i didn't have to worry about getting the wrong ones, i got them right the first time. Also you should pick up the subframe recall kit. it has two little mounting plates new bolts, and even if these new bushings do not solve the clunk, at least you'll have piece of mind knowing its safe. mine broke while i was driving.. NOT COOL!
Good luck

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
How much do those subframe kits cost? Are the same for all Gen3's

Also can someone post proper close up pics of how to lower the front subframe to chance the bushings.

B

·
0 Posts
The subframe bushings are correct. IIRC that is the rear bushing, and it's only one half of it.

The Gen 3 did not have the recall on SFB's, just the Gen 1/2 cars.

When does it clunk? On acceleration? Over bumps?

I have no idea on the keypad. I hate electronics, and therefore stay FAR away from them.

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by XLSuruaT+Jan 18 2004, 01:39 PM-->QUOTE (XLSuruaT @ Jan 18 2004, 01:39 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-biteableniles
@Jan 15 2004, 10:18 PM
what else could it be?
http://www.taurusclub.com/archive/index.php?showtopic=12345 [/b]
Oh, thanks buddy, for pointing out what I've asked already
Now I feel stupid.

The subframe bushings are correct. IIRC that is the rear bushing, and it's only one half of it.

The Gen 3 did not have the recall on SFB's, just the Gen 1/2 cars.

When does it clunk? On acceleration? Over bumps?

I have no idea on the keypad. I hate electronics, and therefore stay FAR away from them. [/b]
When you say the Rear bushing, did you mean the rear subframe bushings for the front subframe? Is there even a rear subframe? I think there is, but my memory is teh suck. And, it clunks on bumps mostly, but for a while I had a clunk on acceleration coming from the right side of the car. It seems to have gone away with the cold weather.

B

·
0 Posts
There is only one subframe, it's in the front of the car and cradles the drivetrain, and the front suspension attaches to it. The subframe bushings attach between the body of the car and the subframe to isolate noise and vibration.

That mount you showed looks like a rear mount for the subframe. There's four mounts total, 2 in the front and 2 in the rear.

There's also two halves to each mount, one between the subframe and the body, and one on the underside of the subframe.

As far as the clunking, if it's just over bumps I doubt it's the subframe bushings. It's more likely to be a suspension component such as a strut mount, lower ball joint or tie rod(s).

To check for ball joint and tie rod wear, jack the car under the lower control arm. Grab the tire at the 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions, and try to move it. Any substantial movement would indicate a worn ball joint, or wheel bearing. Then grasp the tire at the 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock positions and try to move it. Any play in this postion would indicate a worn steering components.

To pinpoint the problem if there is movement, have an assistant either move the tire, or look under the car to see what's moving.

Make sure to use a jackstand for safety!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have the same clunking
and its only over bumps.

Is the subframe bushing a critical thingy.. to get done??

I also have this "gooooonk' sound when I hold the brakes lightly.. in a donwward slope for instance...

X

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by biteableniles@Jan 18 2004, 01:36 PM
Now I feel stupid.
Insulators man! Insulators!!

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by XLSuruaT+Jan 18 2004, 08:10 PM-->QUOTE (XLSuruaT @ Jan 18 2004, 08:10 PM)
<!--QuoteBegin-biteableniles
@Jan 18 2004, 01:36 PM
Now I feel stupid.
Insulators man! Insulators!! [/b]
Oh. D-mnit.

Trip to the Ford dealer to come (DANGIT!)

Got a word confused, screwed me up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts