Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, just bought a 1993 Taurus for my daughter as her first car and although it seems to be in great shape, there are of course a couple of issues that i'm hoping to get some pointers on...

1> Flashing airbag light that the previous owner had taped over.
2> Intermittent wipers pause for a few seconds on the way across... full on works fine. Guessing the relay or the switch?

Thanks in advance for any help
Neil

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
Airbag light will flash a 2 digit code, (i.e., 2 flashes, short break, 3 flashes = code 23). Get the code or codes and report back.

Wiper issue is likely a bad MFS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Jeff
Airbag code is reportedly 5-1.

For the wipers - is that the switch you're mentioning. Do you know any way to test other than swap out?

Neil

·
Registered
54 Posts
Code 51 Pinpoint Tests
Air Bag Diagnostic Monitor Internal Thermal Fuse -- Fuse Blown Due to Intermittent Short to Ground

Did you check the fuses? If its not the fuses, you probably have to replace air bag module.

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
That thermal fuse is inside the airbag control module (module is blue if I remember correctly) , and cant really be replaced. Sometimes the thermal fuse just blows for no apparent reason, sometimes due to a short circuit. Hit the JY and pick up a "new" airbag module.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your great help - could you point me in the general direction of the location of the controller

·
Registered
22,687 Posts
Hopefully someone will chime in to confirm, but iirc, it's a blue box mounted on the center hump under the radio/hvac controls.

·
Super Moderator
7,919 Posts
^^^^ Agreed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts