Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Working on my sister 2000 Taurus... Showing couple codes

Last weekend it was throwing a misfire on number 2 cyl and i put a new coil on it...The old one was definantly back.. it was cracked... Also cleaned the MAF..IAT..and IAC ....replaced air filter... And cleaned throttle body..Found a pcv valve elbow was broke into .. Also fixed that..

After that she said it ran better than it has in a year or so... But
Been pokeing around the forum.. And a couple others...

Codes its now showing..

p0401 p0156 p0136 pp0174 pp0302 p1151 p1131

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
I thought you said a couple of codes, lol?! Did you change #2 spark plug or just the coil and boot? I would change the dpfe (egr pressure sensor) with the borg-warner part#egr155 or #egr631 from advance auto or oreilly, depending on the style you have, to rid the po401 code. Then, clear all codes with a scan tool or by disconnecting the neg. batt. cable for a few mins. and see if any return.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok... Thats sorta what i was thinking at the moment.. I aint got my hands on the car yet today. But 7 codes... Im just glad it still starts lol

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Ok... Thats sorta what i was thinking at the moment.. I aint got my hands on the car yet today. But 7 codes... Im just glad it still starts lol
I thought the reliability was a plus with small quality maintenance from owner or in-laws or outlaws. All my Fords respond to care. I would take any car I have anywhere knowing that worse case scenario there is another $400 Ford needing love waiting in the next town for me!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i changed fuel filter ..Man it was awful too... Full of mud mucus.... Pumped out about a gallon... And everthing was clean...

I changed the EGR pressure swich... The original one on the car.. As soon as i tried to take it off the car... came apart in my hand.. Put the new one on..

I took the IAC off to inspect it and found the little rubber boot in there was ripped... So i replaced it

Had another boot on the front valve covor that was bad... so i replaced it... Now im stumped

At idle... it seems to run smooth... every few seconds it has a hiccup

In park if i rev it up easily.. it revs smooth... but if i try to get after it a bit.. it has a miss....

Driving down the road...Its fine... But if you get after it abit it misses and misses pretty bad..

If you stomp it from a dead stop... it really misses and cuts out... and when you get into the upper rpms it surges really bad...

Any ideas....

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
What rubber boot are you talking about in the iac? Did you replace the boot or iac? Also, which dpfe did her 2000 tec take, the 155 or 631 (depends on build date)? Did the po174 and po302 codes return? Any new (misfire) codes?

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
P0136 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0156 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0174 - System too Lean (Bank 2)
P1131 - Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1
P1151 - Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Are all oxygen sensors present? You have a code for all four of them! Check fuse 28 in the engine bay first. Also make sure the upstream/downstream oxygen sensors aren't switched around. Upstream (pre-cat) plug into the green connectors and downstream (post-cat) plug into the blue connector. If you had a massive vacuum leak you might be getting all these O2 sensor codes.

Hopefully you've taken car of P0401 P0174 already. You still have a cylinder 2 misfire (under load it seems). I would pull the plug (middle cylinder, firewall side) and look for carbon tracking on the ceramic or inside the boot. The replacement coil might also be bad.

At any rate, it would be a good idea to get it scanned again so we know what codes it still currently has and what ones went away.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
P0136 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)
P0156 - O2 Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 2 Sensor 2)
P0174 - System too Lean (Bank 2)
P1131 - Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 1
P1151 - Lack of Upstream Heated Oxygen Sensor Switch - Sensor Indicates Lean - Bank No. 2
P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected
P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected

Are all oxygen sensors present? You have a code for all four of them! Check fuse 28 in the engine bay first. Also make sure the upstream/downstream oxygen sensors aren't switched around. Upstream (pre-cat) plug into the green connectors and downstream (post-cat) plug into the blue connector. If you had a massive vacuum leak you might be getting all these O2 sensor codes.

Hopefully you've taken car of P0401 P0174 already. You still have a cylinder 2 misfire (under load it seems). I would pull the plug (middle cylinder, firewall side) and look for carbon tracking on the ceramic or inside the boot. The replacement coil might also be bad.

At any rate, it would be a good idea to get it scanned again so we know what codes it still currently has and what ones went away.
Im thinking vac leak also. which engine does this bull have?
Also with winter coming i would test the battery.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im thinking vac leak also. which engine does this bull have?
Also with winter coming i would test the battery.
There was a broken boot that plugged into the intake just behind the TB... Got it fixed.. Prob my Vac leak ;)
What rubber boot are you talking about in the iac? Did you replace the boot or iac? Also, which dpfe did her 2000 tec take, the 155 or 631 (depends on build date)? Did the po174 and po302 codes return? Any new (misfire) codes?
I replaced the boots that clipped onto the Valve covers and the one the back of the intake... All were brittle... I found the one on the intake was off... Wouldnt stay on..
thanks sheila. I forgot it was in the box under what do you drive.
That being said. To the OP you might want to clean the egr passage behind the TB if you still have that code
I havent cleaned the EGR passage yet... But i will get to that today hopefully....

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh i forgot to say... The battery is just a few months old. Terminals are still clean,Cranks hard.

-----------------------------

And the code im getting now is p0302... And its got a little flutter at idle... sometimes...

And When cruising 55mph.. If you try to speed up.. It misses horribly... And iif you press the gas really hard to pull down into like a passing gear... It seems like it stoppes missing but SURGES really bad...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I pulled the throttle body.. And EGR valve tonight.. And everything lookd pretty good...I sprayed it all out.. And put it back together...

All i had was MAF cleaner...So im sure it didnt do a great job cleaning it out

Also filled it up with fuel.. And put some heet in the fuel tank..When i changed the filter i think it might have has some water in it..

It seems to be alot better ... No codes yet...

I want to move on to other parts of the car.Doing maintenance on it.... Maybe throw in a few of these mods ive been reading about :D

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
I havent looked at a duratec in a while. iirc you releave the fuel pressure remove the uim then you can get at the injectors and lim. While you got it apart its a good chance to do the lim and uim gaskets.
I am just going off memory here so I might be forgetting something.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone else have any other ideas....

I guess i will pull the intake..upper and lower... Replace those gaskets.. And change orings on injectors and probably replace that number 2 injector....

·
Premium Member
7,537 Posts
Have you checked the #2 spark plug and boot yet? Maybe I missed something, but it sounds like you haven't checked any plugs or wires yet? I'm under the impression that this is an ignition problem. It's easy enough to check the plugs first before you start pulling injectors IMHO. You could also see if you're running rich or lean to determine if it's an injector or ignition issue.

You can check the plugs while you are replacing the gaskets.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts