Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

Countour Intake...chiltons Manual

2K views 26 replies 4 participants last post by  baby sho 
#1 ·
My friend gave me my earlier christmas gift...a chiltons manual for my taurus. In the manual I was looking at the Duratec and the one they took apart looks like the 2.5 engine from the contour, is it just an enigne they picked out sumwhere, or did they really use this intake occasionally on the taurus....I certainly have never seen it and I've been under the hoods of many taurus's. I'm assuming they just picked the engine because it was similar....however my question is can the 2.5 countour intake bolt onto the 3.0? If not how much work to make it do so...and is it a better intake? (theres two wrecked duratec contours at my local scrape yard). If it will work, i guess its a project for me when i get back to New York (I'm visiting my mother in Texas right now and loving the weather.)

I also thought about the jaguar intake.....just so my engine can say jaguar....because I'm just like that....and know one at school beleives me that i have the same engine as there daddies "3.0 Jaguar"...I'm BORED

Later People!

~Tmonster~

See less See more
#3 ·
yeah along with the lincoln ls if i remember right. if you look undet the hood u can see on some of the jag engines the same intake that the taurus uses...ect. Some of them you have to take the big peice of plastic that says jaguar or lincoln off. I think the base model jags use 2.5 duratecs as well. I raced a kid on the highway driving his daddies brand new 3.0. I think he was a bit dumbfounded that we kept the same pace....

#4 ·
My bad...its the Haynes.....but anyways....anyone out there?

#5 ·
yes, it will bolt up to the 96-99s. the 2000 will not as easly.

either way, you must fab a new egr line, iac wiring, intake tubing, and your tb will not bolt up directly. Sont worth your time.

Also it will need to be extrude honed at least 2 times to get it close to the taurus breathing capability. Not worth it.

it was never used on the taurus and most contours on the road are 2.0L 4cyl zetecs, not 2.5L 6 cyl duratecs.

Brad

#6 ·
Thanks for the answer, 2 of the contours up there are V6's...and i like the look of the intake better, just figured I'd ask.

~Chris

#7 ·
tmonster I like your thinking. Its a good idea.. .so good I thought the same thing.
In fact I picked one up a little while back. I have a 96 duratec and the intake bolt pattern is the same. I looked at the intake tube diameters and they are the same as the duratec. now I kinda have to partialy disagree with the spy guy . The hole sizes match the diamter as the upper intake on duratec. Therefor it should allow the proper air to pass. But I would agree that going through it a couple times would be good to get better performance. Now the only reason why i was interested in this was the intake runner length. As any 96-99 duratec owner can feel is that the low end torque is lacking. I wanted to improve this, well one of the first places I looked was the intake. The stock 96-99 intake runners are the same size lenght, both for primaries and secondaries. Well to get lower end torque you need long runners that are rough and narrow. And the secondaries need to be short and smooth. Well i could argue the whole rought and smooth business. I did a hack job on porting the holes bigger on my stock intake to try to match the lower intake and I did get a power increase.(this was semi-justified by a dyno. It was compared with a"stock" taurus and mine). The fact is I agree with the spy_guy that if you ported the countour intake you would definatly have benefits from it. Lastly it will bolt up not to mention it will fit almost ok on the engine. The problem now is the fuel rail. There is a line pressure sensor that would hit the TB. This would have to worked out. Now the throttle body I heard is the same as the SVT I was going to see how well it bolts up.
One thing to notice your TB has a rectangular hole on the top to allow the air to bypass the TB and register the IAT. The countour is different. The IAT is located elsewhere which doesn't need that hole anymore.
Lastly there are a few other things mainly tubing which can be worked out and a few sensors which wires could be used to extend. The semi big problem you might run into is the getting the EGR tube to run in a different direction you might have to fab one up.
Well these are most of the issues. I'm gonna try to attempt it whenever I get some free time. But this wont be for a while. I think before then i will try to port my existing intake to match the lower TB and dyno again to see what the gains are. That way i know what to look for when doing this conversion.
Why would we do something like this? Well hopefully for better performance, more torque on the low end. The thing that got me intersted was to put a bigger TB on the duratec. With our current upper intake we can't becuase of the location of the IAT. I know we could resistor trick style it but we can run into problems, instead with this intake I heard the Mustang SOHC 4.6 TB will bolt up onto it(Im sure we would have to change the MAF too). The Mustang TB is stock at 70mm and you can find 75mm also. With a bigger TB and with probably a lot of porting, this should be much better intake setup than the stock taurus intake. Not to mention once this is done, hopefully powder coat it or polish it for the cool factor.
I have to think that the SVT got some of its 200 HP power from the intake considering that its only a 2.5 liter and ours is a 3.0.

#8 ·
yes the tube diamiters are the same, but flow is less, esp if not honed. yes the svt is the same.....the rest of the info you posted is a copy of what i already said. Cehck out contour.org, fordcontour.org and fastcougar.org for more info where many poeple will back me in saying that the CONTOUR intake will have worse prefromance than the taurus intake on the TAURUS motor.

Theoretically the contour intake should bennifit alot because of the dual lenght split runners, but uou must consider all the turns in the intake and quality of manufacturing.

Overall, is is so not worth it because of time to fab it and aso the huge cost of extrude honing. The svt intakes are the same as the contours, only extrude honed.

Cost for the project would be in excess of 600+ dollars plus custom fabbing. The only reason the contour guys use the svt intake on their taurus motors is because of the hood clearance and the iat hitting the hood. Otherwise all of en yould be using the taurus intake (yes there are a few exceptions.

the only thing i forgot to mention was the fuel rail problem which theman21 mentioned.

Brad

#9 ·
And how much power would you sacrafice doing it?

I had thougth of doing a stand alone supercharger too, Can the 3.0 Duratec handle it? Which intake, throttle body would you reccomend if i did this?

Possibilities, Possibilities...

And no gettign mad at each other!!!!! GRRR!

#11 ·
wanted to post some pics about these intakes and sizes.
From what i have seen is that the runners on the countour 27 and 31 mm.
On the taurus it is 30 and 32 mm in diameter on the two holes.
The real interesting thing I noticed is that the lower intake has hole sizes that are 33 and 35 mm.
So for all you duratec guys out there if you want to pick up some cheap horsepower. Grab your drill bit and upper intake and bore out a hole that is 33 and 35 mm which will match up with your lower intake.
the other thing to notice is the size of the TB intake on these two.
the contour is 60mm and the duratec is 63-64.
Now the actuall throttle body is 63mm at the front and 60mm at the rear.
Now I agree for the contour intake to be more of a help than a hinderance you would need to hone it out alot. At least up to 33 and 35mm if not bigger. for an oversize lowerintake.
Here are some pics enjoy.

Attachments

#26 ·
found it on ebay. Been watching for some time cost me bout 30 bucks including shipping. I wanted to explore this option on the taurus. I figured the new and old SHO's have the dual runners, so if we extrued honed the contour intake out large enough we should expect better results than the the stock duratec intake. Mainly in the area of a flat torque curve. this is an area with enough time and funding I will see if I can take on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.