Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Being the nice guy that I am, when my sister-in-law moved out of town she needed to sell her car and I told her I would buy it. Little did I realize it was the prototype for the car from hell. To even put it on the road I had to replace the multifunction switch and about half of the outside bulbs.

After getting it titled and licensed I started driving it around town to learn what needed to be done to make it my primary vehicle. (My other car is an 88 Mercury and the heater does not work.) The motor appeared to be mounted so sloppily that just letting up or applying more throttle would jerk the car from side to side. The check engine light came on and then started flashing. After purchasing a code reader I learned there was a misfire on number 1 cylinder.

Deciding to take care of the misfire first before tackling new motor mounts, etc., I did all the standard things. New plugs,new wires, checked out the coil and still misfiring. When I discovered there was no compression, I pulled the rear valve cover and found the push rod for No. 1 cylinder had fallen off to the side. I then started pulling the intake manifolds, little realizing just what all this entails. This is where I am at the present time.

What I really need some advice on is what I found under the car. The passenger side of the subframe is so rusted out I would be afraid to drive it even if I get the engine running properly. I intend to replace the subframe with all new bushings, etc.. I would appreciate any hints or advice on how to remove and replace the subframe without removing the engine and transmission.

Thank You
Paul

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
You'd need to use an engine support to hold the engine/tran up in the car while you remove the subframe. We do it all the time in the shop. It would also be a good time to replace your engine mounts while you're doing this, since you'd have much better access to them, and you'd have them half undone anyway to remove the subframe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nidan

Thank you for your reply.

I already have new motor and xmission mounts and had planned on replacing them along with the subframe. I have yet to order the necessary subframe blushings.

The major question I have regarding using a motor support is if I have to support the transmission to keep it from drooping to far at the rear?

Paul

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
I'd at least put a jack and a block of wood under the tranny pan, just to make sure it's not drooping and to make sure it won't shift (no pun intended!) or anything.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MrPants

Being a shifty sort of feller (pun intended) that was the way my thoughts were going. Especially since I would be torquing on the motor mounts.

Thank You
Paul

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
I already have new motor and xmission mounts and had planned on replacing them along with the subframe.[/b]
If you plan on replacing the engine AND subframe it'll be easier to drop the OLD engine/trans/subframe out the bottom of the vehicle as an assembly(raise the car). Most likely less time consuming too. Then you just transfer the trans to the NEW engine stick it onto the NEW subframe and drop the car back down onto the whole NEW assembly. There's been a few members here that have done it this way so if you've got any questions, there'll be plenty of help.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rudedog

Thank You. At the present time I do not plan on changing the motor unless I cannot fix the present one. Being retired and on a fixed income I am forced to try to make do with what I have. Hopefully I will know the status of my present engine before I change the subframe. My health is not the best in the world and I am forced to do a little here and a little there as I feel able. What I could do in a few hours when I was younger takes me a few days (weeks) now.

Paul

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I already have new motor and xmission mounts and had planned on replacing them along with the subframe.[/b]
If you plan on replacing the engine AND subframe it'll be easier to drop the OLD engine/trans/subframe out the bottom of the vehicle as an assembly(raise the car). Most likely less time consuming too. Then you just transfer the trans to the NEW engine stick it onto the NEW subframe and drop the car back down onto the whole NEW assembly. There's been a few members here that have done it this way so if you've got any questions, there'll be plenty of help.
[/b]
I think you mis-read what he was saying. He has new mounts for the engine and transmission to install - not a new engine along with transmission mounts.

Nidan

Thank you for your reply.

I already have new motor and xmission mounts and had planned on replacing them along with the subframe. I have yet to order the necessary subframe blushings.

The major question I have regarding using a motor support is if I have to support the transmission to keep it from drooping to far at the rear?

Paul
[/b]
A proper 3-bar engine support will have one bar that reaches across from fender to fender, with another bar that runs from the crossbar to the upper rad support area. From those 2 bars, there are usually some threaded hooks that you can use to attach to the engine, usually with some chain as well. If you position the bars properly, you should be able to use another piece of chain or a come-along to support the tranny. Remember that if you put a jack under the tranny, it's gonna be in your way when you drop the subframe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This brings up more questions. :blush:

1. I thought the subframe was "U" shaped with a removable crossmember in the transmission area?

2. Would the ATD-7477 be an acceptable 3-bar support?

3. Where would a person find the lifting attachments that bolt to the engine at a reasonable price?

Please don't think I haven't taken the time to try and research these questions before asking. I have probably spent six hours a day for quite a few days before starting this thread. :dunno:

Again, Thank You All
Paul

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
The subframe is fairly heavy, and you will need to drop the engine and tranny down slightly to remove and replace the subframe, and the engine mounts.

In most cases considering the fact that you are planning on replacing the engine and transmission mounts, and the subframe, it is actually easier to drop the engine and transmission along with the subframe, then once out from under the car, lift the engine and transmission from the subframe as a unit, and place them onto the new subframe, using the new engine and transmission mounts, then lift the whole powertrain module back into the car.

If you are going to replace the subframe, and engine mounts while leaving the engine and transmission in the car, you will need an engine support beam/frame/brace that will allow to to drop the engine and transmissions down slightly from the normal location in order to make replacement of the engine and transmission mounts easier.

You will need a way to support the subframe from the bottom, while you are installing the engine and transmission mounts, and moving the subframe around to remount it on the car. I would think that a motorcycle lift would be perfect for this task.

What you will be doing will go basically like this.

First lift the front of the car, and place on jackstands.

Connect the engine support beam, and support the engine and transmission.

Raise your subframe support (motorcycle lift), and disconnect the cooling and heating lines to reduce the chance of damage.

Release the attachments holding the power steering hose to the subframe.

Remove the subframe bolts and disconnect the engine and transmission mounts.

Lower the engine and transmission slightly.

Lower the subframe.

Raise the replacement subframe and connect the engine and transmission mounts.

Raise the engine and transmission until the subframe mounting bolts are close to touching the chassis, then install the subframe bolts, but do not torque them.

Align the subframe, and tighten the subframe bolts.

Remove the subframe support.

Remove the engine support beam.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
gohim

Thank You for this information. I will certainly have a copy of it with me when I attempt this.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts