Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think eventually the Taurus is gone anyway. The writing was on the wall when Ford decided to not refresh the model that has been virtually unchanged since 2013. How many models go 5 years without something external or internally updated? A 2018 Taurus is virtually identical to a 2013 Taurus save a few minor options and such.

The 2010+ Taurus is the only model Taurus that has really ever appealed to me. Previous models did nothing for me, but when I saw the 2010 for the first time, I thought "wow, that's the first Taurus I actually think I would buy". At the time I was driving an Infiniti G35x, and later a C300 Benz, so to jump into a Taurus was a bit of a leap, but I love the car so far. So I'm a bit disappointed to see the model may be killed off again. I would pick up a 2016-2018 SHO in a few years however.

IMHO, I always thought bringing the Taurus nameplate may be the reason why the car has been often overlooked. When I tell people I drive a Taurus, they look at me like I'm crazy and say "really?"...until they get in the car and go for a ride. Even I was impressed with the car the first time I test drove my Limited.
I think you're right about the Taurus nameplate. It pretty much screams boring even though that's not always the case.

·
Registered
53 Posts
It could very well be axed. I don't know what the sales numbers are. But if they do, it's Ford's own fault.
I've owned a 95 Taurus and a 2008 Taurus. The 95 was alright.
The 2008 I really liked. I sold it because it was a 2wd and I needed 4wd or awd. But the SPACE inside that thing was incredible. I loved the ride and the engine had a great balance of power/smoothness and fuel mileage. I could cruise in it for hours at higher speeds and step out feeling great.
The 2010 and up does look more modern and I like the styling of it. But... I can't believe they built a heavier car and shrunk the inside. Especially in the rear it's much smaller. I did look at a newer SHO model but roads are a little rough where I am now and the SHO might not handle the bad roads very well.
I do still miss my 2008.
It might go away, but will be back when fuel prices rise. SUV's are wanted now because fuel is cheap. Once oil starts going up more (and it already has) gas will too , the Taurus might then be back.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Yes the 2010 + shape really grabbed my attention. Mt neighbour was a Ford Salesman and he had one for a week and I remember thinking "that looks sweet". Now I own one and I LOVE IT!

·
Registered
49 Posts
After reading about European and Asian Ford products, I'm coming to the conclusion that the US Fords are often stripped down versions of what's available overseas. (Same goes for one of my favorites, VW, which often has more interesting models overseas than what's available in the US).

·
Administrator
14,914 Posts
After reading about European and Asian Ford products, I'm coming to the conclusion that the US Fords are often stripped down versions of what's available overseas.

Couldn't agree more. We were in the UK and had a Mondeo Estate (think Fusion wagon on steroids) for a rental. 2.0 diesel that was smooth as butter and very quiet mated to a 6 spd manual. It positively flew and the handling was very precise. It's a great family car and I would buy it tomorrow if it were available here.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Yes the UK and European models have been better in my opinion. Your 2008 Focus compared to ours was awful. I think the "new" Ecopsort is just a UK Ford Kuga slightly changed.

The Mondeo's have been around since 1996 and have just got better and better. When the 2006 Fusion came out in N. America the Mondeo was way ahead of the game.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just bought my 2013 SEL a couple months back and there is a reason why -- I think its a nice looking car!

I Love the interior and my kids thinking were riding in an airplane cockpit with the center console so high!

I didn't buy it because of the gas mileage...which isn't too bad in my opinion...I'm getting around 25 mpg...like my other cars :lol2:

Anyway, love the Bull.

KMN62
2013 Taurus SEL

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #29

·
Registered
523 Posts
I can see it, the Taurus is typecast as a DD beater with previous gens I feel. Also can agree that reviews on the car do it no justice, I read an article once that compared all of the full sized luxury cars and it put Taurus at the bottom coming under cars like the 300 and cadenza(Kia's new luxury line, probably not spelled right). I have read a lot of comments saying there isn't enough room inside but lets be honest, how much more room do you really need? Ive done plenty of things in the back seat of this car I couldn't do in a mid sized car lol...... Every person that I have let drive the car is super impressed with the design as well as the low end power this thing pushes. I will continue to say though that I would probably never buy another one simply because of all the cosmetic issues. If they put more resources into perfecting the car and marketing it correctly it could sell very well!

·
Has It Been That Long?
11,996 Posts
Yes the UK and European models have been better in my opinion. Your 2008 Focus compared to ours was awful. I think the "new" Ecopsort is just a UK Ford Kuga slightly changed.

The Mondeo's have been around since 1996 and have just got better and better. When the 2006 Fusion came out in N. America the Mondeo was way ahead of the game.

Unless something's changed the Kuga is the 2013+ Escape in the US.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I see that Ford has the 2018 Taurus on it's website. They're including a SHO edition along with all the others. Looks pretty much like the design from the last few years. Anyway, the Taurus is around for another year at least.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I see that Ford has the 2018 Taurus on it's website. They're including a SHO edition along with all the others. Looks pretty much like the design from the last few years. Anyway, the Taurus is around for another year at least.

Yes I see it's not been updated etc. which makes me think they will try and eek as much life out of it and cease production. I wouldn't be surprised if by 2019-2020 they will cease.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've read numerous articles that say large sedans are on the way out.
I receive marketing material from my local dealership. I've never seen one paper ad with a Taurus on it.
The new Fusion Sport has almost as much power as a Taurus, and I think the Continental offers a more powerful engine. Everybody loves the damn Fusion.

I've only ever seen one commercial for a Taurus, and I believe it was a local dealership commercial -- not a Ford commercial.

But, it's a cop car, and my hope is that they keep making the Taurus for that reason if nothing else. Even though the Chevy SS / Caprice just got canned as well.
I think the Taurus is a more popular car in China, which might be a good sign that Ford has some incentive to keep making the car.

I love my Taurus. I just don't know if Ford does.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm 6'-2" ~250lbs, more like 280lbs in cop uniform & duty belt. I own a 2008 Crown Vic, own a 2016 Taurus and checked out the 2017 Fusion. I read the specs on the interior dimensions of all three cars and Ford claims a match - except the Fusion has a smaller trunk but more front leg room. (It just does not seem possible all three are same.) That all sounds great except the driver's door opening is biggest in Crown Vic, close in Taurus and seems even narrower in Fusion. My holster and stuff dinks on both sides getting into the Fusion. Then I see Ford ads for 2018 and looks like they are stepping away from the Taurus-based Police Interceptor and going to a Fusion-based Interceptor. This country is going to need a new batch of smaller cops to fit in Fusions.

·
Midwest Chapter Mod
1,152 Posts
Then I see Ford ads for 2018 and looks like they are stepping away from the Taurus-based Police Interceptor and going to a Fusion-based Interceptor. This country is going to need a new batch of smaller cops to fit in Fusions.
Ha! No $h!t right!?!?!?!

So so so glad I'm on the back end of the profession, rather than the front end.

I repeatedly see all these tiny @$$ rookies (who, like the rest of us, will eventually "fill out") and just have to laugh.

No clue what the hell they'll all be piloting down the road. Unless maybe most municipalities stick with the Explorer/SUV trend(s)???

I'm no fan of a Fusion based interceptor. Not at all. Makes me scratch my head at what the hell all the engineers and marketing peeps are thinking over at FMC.

***Shaking my head***

·
Registered
4 Posts
Taurus sales numbers are falling fast. According to this article, the only segment competitors that the Taurus outsold last month have either been discontinued or are in the process of being discontinued.

Ford Taurus Sales Numbers October 2017

That's not a good sign...

·
Administrator
14,914 Posts
The car is probably headed for extinction but the platform is not. Plenty of room for a geared up and fully filled out officer in an Explorer. Well maybe not plenty exactly but enough... depending on a multiplicity of factors including but not limited to DPM (donuts per mile).

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
About this Discussion
41 Replies
18 Participants
jag1959
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing