Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only got one key when I bought my Taurus 10 years ago. It has been doing OK until this morning the plastic case cracked, and now I have to hold the case firmly to ignite. Time to get a second key as this one may die anytime. Has anyone get a second key from the dealer? How much could it cost?

·
Registered
622 Posts
@solofrain,

I got my second key from a local auto locksmith a few years ago. I bought the spare key from ebay and paid $30 for the key programming.
As you may know, you can either get a master key or a duplicate key. If you just need a duplicate key, you can get it from walmart for cheap.

Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I only got one key when I bought my Taurus 10 years ago. It has been doing OK until this morning the plastic case cracked, and now I have to hold the case firmly to ignite. Time to get a second key as this one may die anytime. Has anyone get a second key from the dealer? How much could it cost?
Get a 2nd chipped key from a local locksmith. If you lose your only chipped key; it is over $300 in locksmith fees. Buy both the key & the service form the locksmith, this assures you of quality and working copy. Expect to pay about $125-150. The costly part of the fees is programming, the locksmith pays $1000 of dollars every year for the rights to use the software.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It is all about including the serial number of the RFID chip in the new key into the PCM. If you have have two working keys, you can always add a third (described in the Owner's Manual), but when you only have one key, you indeed need the special software to do that (theft protection).

A possible option is the extended license of Forscan. You need to buy the OBD dongle and the license and the new key (cut to fit the cylinder lock) and you can add the key. Probably more expensive than the one-time charge of the locksmith, but you end up having Forscan, the dongle and the license which in turn allows you to monitor and manage all kinds of stuff on your Taurus (and any other Ford you might come across).

·
Registered
622 Posts
@solofrain,

I went back to search my car repair note and here is what I had.
BTW: The price I paid for was to get a master key at the time.

Good luck

Can I program a new key myself if I have no working keys?

No, here are your options.

1. Preferred Option: Call a mobile Automotive Locksmith to come to your
vehicle to originate a new key. The Locksmith will then have to connect a
special computer to your vehicle to program the new key.

2. Tow your vehicle to a Dealership and they will originate a new key. The
Dealership with then have to connect a special computer to your vehicle
to program the new key.

Can I program a second key myself if I have one working key?

1. Preferred Option: Call or go to an Automotive Locksmith and they
will have to
connect a special computer to your vehicle to program the second key.

2. Go to a Dealership and they will have to connect a special computer to your
vehicle to program the second key.

Can I program a third key myself if I have two working keys?

Yes, once you have had the new key cut by a Locksmith
or other qualified persons use the following instructions.

1. Insert an existing working key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.

3. Remove the existing working key and, within five seconds, insert a
second working
key and turn it to ON (RUN) then back OFF.

4. Remove second working key and insert the new key before ten seconds have
elapsed and turn it to ON (RUN). Leave it on for one second and
turn back to OFF.

5. The security light will light up for three seconds to indicate that the new
key has been successfully programmed.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know that dealers are not the only places to go, and thank you all for the details.(y) Will drive to a local auto locksmith.

·
Registered
54 Posts
@solofrain,
Can I program a second key myself if I have one working key?
This is incorrect.

If you have a OBDLink MX+ or similar type of OBD reader, you can use the free FORSCAN software to program a blank compatible key if you have a master key to unlock the computer.

Was able to program a key using Forscan and my OBDLink MX+. MX+ was very much worth the money, it once again has saved me cash!

How to program PATS using FORScan v2.3.* - FORScan forum

Quick and easy, saved me at least $70. I only had 1 master key and a blank unprogramed key, the second programed one was missing, so I could not program it by putting first in ignition and than the second followed by the third unprogramed key. But FORSCAN software saved me time and money and allowed me to program the 3rd key myself instead of paying a locksmith/dealer mucho money for 5 mins of their time...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is incorrect.

If you have a OBDLink MX+ or similar type of OBD reader, you can use the free FORSCAN software to program a blank compatible key if you have a master key to unlock the computer.

Was able to program a key using Forscan and my OBDLink MX+. MX+ was very much worth the money, it once again has saved me cash!

How to program PATS using FORScan v2.3.* - FORScan forum

Quick and easy, saved me at least $70. I only had 1 master key and a blank unprogramed key, the second programed one was missing, so I could not program it by putting first in ignition and than the second followed by the third unprogramed key. But FORSCAN software saved me time and money and allowed me to program the 3rd key myself instead of paying a locksmith/dealer mucho money for 5 mins of their time...
Awesome! I called a locksmith and quoted $175+tax. But they are all out of office so I will have to go over another day. This is something I can try. So I should just grab a blank key like this one. Can I cut it at HomeDepot?
I did have a bluetooth OBDII reader, but gave it to my friend since I bought an iCarsoft reader. Don't know if it will work for this purpose.

·
Registered
251 Posts
You might have to check the blade of your existing key. If it has "S" engraved the RFID chip inside is 40 bits. If it has "SA" engraved, it is 80 bits. I'd go for exactly the same key.
I did have a bluetooth OBDII reader, but gave it to my friend since I bought an iCarsoft reader. Don't know if it will work for this purpose.
Their website doesn't say so and they probably would not forget to mention that capability if it had.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Awesome! I called a locksmith and quoted $175+tax. But they are all out of office so I will have to go over another day. This is something I can try. So I should just grab a blank key like this one. Can I cut it at HomeDepot?
Ford garage charged me ~$60 to program the key, "Quick Lane" (slow lane). Tarus '05.
They are busy with service, now that they have total new/used cars on the lot ~ a dozen. Dodge dealer across the street, same issue. No new cars/trucks.
-chart-

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You might have to check the blade of your existing key. If it has "S" engraved the RFID chip inside is 40 bits. If it has "SA" engraved, it is 80 bits. I'd go for exactly the same key.

Their website doesn't say so and they probably would not forget to mention that capability if it had.
Thank you for the hint. I don't see any characters engraved on the blade. Should I open the case to check inside? It's so broken that I'm worrying it would not go back once opened.
Seems I need to buy a bluetooth one. I thought I no longer needed such things since I got a much powerful one.:LOL:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ford garage charged me ~$60 to program the key, "Quick Lane" (slow lane). Tarus '05.
They are busy with service, now that they have total new/used cars on the lot ~ a dozen. Dodge dealer across the street, same issue. No new cars/trucks.
-chart-
Did they take the blank key you brought in or you got it from them? Not too bad for $60 to program it.
I'm looking for a new car from different dealers. Very few in stock.

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
Did they take the blank key you brought in or you got it from them? Not too bad for $60 to program it.
I'm looking for a new car from different dealers. Very few in stock.
I bought the key at the service department. I was in a hurry and they had the key and cut it. Separate deal. I bought the car with one key and our son was leaving with it in short order. So, I keep one key, he keeps one to drive. He is ~100 miles away from us.
The quick lane did not know where I got the key.
-chart-

·
Registered
10,656 Posts

One of my Sable keys is "S" and the other is "SA". They might interchange in one direction but not the other.
-chart-

·
Registered
10,656 Posts
"The Ford 80 Bit transponder-equipped IPATS key blanks and IKT Key blanks are backwards-compatible with 40 Bit technology vehicles. As a general rule, all vehicles manufactured for the 2010 model year or earlier are equipped with 40 Bit technology. However, Ford 40 Bit transponder-equipped IPATS key blanks and IKT Key blanks are not compatible with vehicles equipped with 80 Bit technology." quote. locksmithledger.com/keys-tools/article/10250626/technology-on-the-move-ford-80bit-key-blanks
So for pre '10 cars can use S or SA keys. Key words: (backwards-compatible).
Ford does not make "S" keys any more.
-chart-

·
Registered
2 Posts
I got my second key from Ace Hardware, they also programmed it. I paid less than $100.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts