Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Administrator
15,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So outside of the care and feeding of your Bulls what's everyone who's stuck at home doing with their time?

·
Administrator
15,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Goin' stir crazy and puttin' on the "quarantine 15" (lbs.).
I hear that. Normally by this time I've already been 'upta camp' a few times prepping the SHOs and the motorcycles winter stored in the barn there. :mad:

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
There are a few things I am not doing since the lockdown, namely travel to Florida to see my daughter down there. Maybe a less local travel also. However my wife and I have remodeled one bathroom, painted two bedrooms and our den. Have been able to do yard work and prep our garden for planting. Since I scrapped two Taurus of my three there is a lot less car repair going on. We bought a 2019 Hybrid Rav4 for our daily driver but still have a 2006 Taurus with 215k miles, Lexus ES350 and a Nissan Xterra to tow our fishing boat. Can't get better social distancing than wife and I on a boat in the middle of a lake.

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Some might remember we had an attic fire at our house, and it had asbestos. So it was stripped down to the sub floor and studs and rebuilt. About 98% done before the freeze stopped the work.
I go to the house every day, am and pm with lunch at the apartment. Wife goes along most of the time. Five miles to the house.
I am fixing my works shop and garage back in place, and doing the cabinets in the utility room. Daughter has these in her carport so they needed some rehab work. Mix and match between the utility sink and the wall.

As to cars, did brakes, sway arm links on the wagon. Next rear brakes, and sway arm links on the Taurus. Then figuring out why the ABS has no signal from the left front.

I do the shopping at Wal-Mart, doing the very early am old folks time. Sometimes Lowes, Harbor Freight, and Sams club. All within 3 miles. Doctor wants the wife to stay away from public.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Administrator
15,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
And I thought 2 months in a Residence Inn after the lightning strike was bad
You'll get there Chart

·
Registered
295 Posts
No lockdown for me. I'm in essential industry so go to work daily. But on weekends it's one trip to the grocery store/gas station and that's it. Too cold and rainy to go out and clean up Third Bull or work in my flowerbed that's starting to come in. But I can't complain at all. So many others are in desperate times. Company gave us a $3 Hr bonus and it's all going to a local food bank.

😷 Let's all mask up and keep our distance. With any luck Ford Nationals will be held in Carlisle and I'll get to see some of you again !

·
Super Moderator
8,282 Posts
I have been working on a number of home improvement projects and cleaning up the yard after the wrath of this past winter, as well as getting my Thunderbirds ready for the summer driving / car show season (assuming all the shows arent cancelled). Assuming Carlisle isnt cancelled, I plan to be there with my 88 Turbo Coupe as I have been for the last 18 years.

COVID-19 isnt as bad here as it is in many parts of the country. As of now, around 2000 confirmed cases in the city where people are packed together like sardines in a can, but out in suburbia where we live there are significantly fewer confirmed cases as the population density is way lower and people seem to be taking the pandemic more seriously.

I have made masks for both of us to use when going out in public using HF paint / dust masks which I have lined with vacuum cleaner bag material. A bunch of online research I found indicates vacuum cleaner bags are nearly as effective as the material used in the N95 masks. I also picked up a UVC (254 nm wavelength, 4.9 eV photon energy) mercury gas discharge sterilizing lamp on Ebay for $20 that we use to sterilize mail, packages, food from the grocery store, our masks after being out in public etc. I was a certified radiation safety officer for 25 years as part of my former job, and I know from my experience with ionizing radiation that this sterilizing lamp will kill the COVID-19 in short order. We both carry small spray bottles of 95% Ethanol / 5% Methanol (i.e., camp stove fuel I can get by the gallon locally) with us to spray on our hands, credit cards, etc. after going to the food store, etc. All this might be overkill, but better safe than sorry IMO.

Reactions: kekaye56

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Our county has had 1 death, 10 in the hospital at last report. Seems like outdoors is way more safe than in close living housing or public transport. NY City has 25X the deaths as the state of FL.
So out door living might be a really good thing. Golf, fishing, car work likely the most safe things going.
I do not do golf or fish so I work on cars and my house. Safe and healthy.
-chart-

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
I have been working on a number of home improvement projects and cleaning up the yard after the wrath of this past winter, as well as getting my Thunderbirds ready for the summer driving / car show season (assuming all the shows arent cancelled). Assuming Carlisle isnt cancelled, I plan to be there with my 88 Turbo Coupe as I have been for the last 18 years.

COVID-19 isnt as bad here as it is in many parts of the country. As of now, around 2000 confirmed cases in the city where people are packed together like sardines in a can, but out in suburbia where we live there are significantly fewer confirmed cases as the population density is way lower and people seem to be taking the pandemic more seriously.

I have made masks for both of us to use when going out in public using HF paint / dust masks which I have lined with vacuum cleaner bag material. A bunch of online research I found indicates vacuum cleaner bags are nearly as effective as the material used in the N95 masks. I also picked up a UVC (254 nm wavelength, 4.9 eV photon energy) mercury gas discharge sterilizing lamp on Ebay for $20 that we use to sterilize mail, packages, food from the grocery store, our masks after being out in public etc. I was a certified radiation safety officer for 25 years as part of my former job, and I know from my experience with ionizing radiation that this sterilizing lamp will kill the COVID-19 in short order. We both carry small spray bottles of 95% Ethanol / 5% Methanol (i.e., camp stove fuel I can get by the gallon locally) with us to spray on our hands, credit cards, etc. after going to the food store, etc. All this might be overkill, but better safe than sorry IMO.
Well not the greatest launch of your 1st retirement season. You bring up a couple of neat alternatives for the common hoarded items. Never thought of camp stove fuel but thought of grain alcohol at the local spirit store. We usually quarantine our mail and food for three days. New produce and meats are kept in a cooler in garage for three days on ice. Not perfect but better than nothing. I lucked out that packages of ten N95 masks were free after rebate at Menards a year ago so I bought a few boxes then. My daughters who are nurses have to reuse their N95 masks until they rip or get damaged. They just put them in labeled paper bags when they leave work for their next shift.

Older daughter in Florida has been sent home a few times because of no elective surgeries and lack of patients.

Local company is using hydrogen peroxide vapor to sterilize masks in a few hours. I built an ozone generator to remove smoke smell for a 2001 Taurus we bought years ago by using a neon light transformer, glass sleeves, expanded metal screen, PVC pipe and a muffin fan. I was thinking of using that to sterilize masks if needed. Corona for Corona.

Favorite place to shop is Sam's Club because there is an app that lets you check out from your cell phone without interacting with anyone.

Drove by the storage place where our fishing boat is stored for winter and the lot was full of RVs since no one is planning on traveling this summer.

·
Super Moderator
8,282 Posts
My wife is / was a RN/BSN before retiring. However she had not worked in direct patient care for 25+ years. For the last 25+ years she worked in medical quality control, which paid twice that of a floor nurse and she worked standard 8 to 4:30 M thru F hours. She had worked from home for the last 3 years. One of her former coworkers who had not worked in direct patient care for over 20 years called the other day stating that she would be reassigned to direct patient care of COVID19 patients. She promptly handed in her resignation. If she was still working, my wife would likely been in the same boat. Looks like we picked a good time to retire, even though we are spending most of our time at home.

I get my ethanol / methanol mix (1 gallon cans are labeled denatured alcohol) from a midwest store chain called Farm and Fleet for $10 a gallon. Farm and Fleet is similar to the Tractor Supply stores you have in Ohio.

·
Administrator
15,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
For making sanitizer I've been substituting the dry gas (red bottle=95% isopropyl) I've had sitting around since they started mixing ethanol into gas making it superfluous. I got 2 cases of it for $2 a song when a regional chain was going out of business back when the buffalo were many on the plain. Mix it 4/1 with aloe gel to make it easier on the skin.

·
Registered
7,023 Posts
For making sanitizer I've been substituting the dry gas (red bottle=95% isopropyl) I've had sitting around since they started mixing ethanol into gas making it superfluous. I got 2 cases of it for $2 a song when a regional chain was going out of business back when the buffalo were many on the plain. Mix it 4/1 with aloe gel to make it easier on the skin.
That's another good idea on alcohol source. I never thought of that but it is pretty common product. Aloe gel is hard to come by these days. I was able to pick up a bottle of sanitizer at Sam's Club for a reasonable price.

·
Administrator
15,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That's another good idea on alcohol source. I never thought of that but it is pretty common product. Aloe gel is hard to come by these days. I was able to pick up a bottle of sanitizer at Sam's Club for a reasonable price.
It's funny how we still see decent volumes of it most everywhere even though it is largely an obsolete placebo product now. I was buying milk at the local Gas n Go the other day and there were at least a dozen bottles of it on the underneath shelf at the checkout counter next to the motor oil. If it didn't sell it wouldn't be taking up prime impulse buy real estate, although in a couple of weeks I suspect it will be relegated to another location and bug spray or some other warm weather product will take its place.

The aloe gel was also something we just happened to have a decent amount of on hand. Around here in the fall the larger bottles usually get marked down and I happened to hit the store at the right time to find it selling at $1 a litre. I bought all 7 they had. Between camp and the pool my wife and our boys girlfriends go through the stuff at a pretty good clip in the summer so 90% off sounded good to me. Something tells me other moisturizers will be the order of the day come summer this year.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Waiting for the weather to get nice enough -- and "enough with the pollen!" -- so I can strip and ceramic coat the 2011 SHO bull and the 2015 Mustang GT! Already did the rear brake pads on the GT. Next are the front brake pads (didn't have the right tool to spread the four-piston version) and then tackle the front and rear pads for the SHO -- assuming my QuickJack will lift it as easily as it does the 'Stang and the Audi. And then, as of tomorrow afternoon, I'll have to add a ... (pause for effect here) very, very RED Mazda 3 (replacing my wife's low mileage but well-teenager-worn 2006 Audi A3) to the list of "clean and coat" projects. Sort of regretting I just replaced the plugs and engine and cabin air filters on the Audi, but then again, it's a 14-year old Audi and I don't want to deal with the upcoming maintenance on it as the seals start failing from age. Next repair is likely to cost more than the car is worth! So, yep, looking forward to "warm-enough" days to be in the driveway "messing with the cars," which is almost as good as "messing around in boats" (but those days are on pause for now.) Be safe and stay healthy!

·
Registered
10,142 Posts
Our county has had 1 death, 10 in the hospital at last report. Seems like outdoors is way more safe than in close living housing or public transport. NY City has 25X the deaths as the state of FL.
So out door living might be a really good thing. Golf, fishing, car work likely the most safe things going.
I do not do golf or fish so I work on cars and my house. Safe and healthy.
-chart-
Update: our county still only 1 death, now only 1 in the hospital. Latest US. 94% of people who go in the hospital with the virus had 1 significant other issue, and 88% had 2 or more. High blood pr, diabetic, obese and such. As for me, I live in a very low risk area, and have none of the health issues. I am very thankful.
-chart-

1 - 17 of 17 Posts