Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it looks like I might need to invest in a new set of tires for my wife's car. While looking around, I found these tires:
http://www.coopertire.com/cs4/index.html

I really like the design of them and have had pretty good luck with Cooper before. The local Cooper shop are good people too (ie: they give you the price for everything, not so much for stem, so much for this, so much for that...) I would be interested in the T-rated since we don't go 'round gunning it, and it has the 80,000 mile warranty, as well as 780-A-A ratings... I want to go check them out in person though and "feel" them... She has BFG Control or something like that and they are hard as a rock :glare: Anyways, look 'em over and give me some feedback :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
These tires look like they should be comfortable, quiet and have decent wet characteristics. However, I don't see anything that would generate good ice/snow traction nor anything that would prevent the grooves from filling with snow.

So, if your weather conditions allow, they may be a good choice. Not for tough winter conditions.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I definitely need something for snow as well living in West Virginia (Just getting past the 1st big snow as we speak)...

I had thought about these too:
[attachmentid=23004]
Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
I just got 2 cs4's put on the other day and drove through some wicked snow on the way to work. I made it up a steep hill in 6 inches of snow and ice without a problem.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do they seem to handle fairly well? The center groove kinda makes me wonder b/c I had a set of tires before (I forget the brand) that had that and they handled terrible, but it was smoother and the rubber was hard as a rock, too...

·
Premium Member
7,306 Posts
My bridgestone Insignias have great ride, gas mileage, wet traction but they aren't so great in the snow - solid center rib.

I'm fairly certain that's what my friend has on his 00 passatt. They aren't bad tires for snow ... not as good as dedicated snow tires, but definitely good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just got 2 cs4's put on the other day and drove through some wicked snow on the way to work. I made it up a steep hill in 6 inches of snow and ice without a problem.
[/b]
One more thing... did you get the T-rated with the center groove or the H/V rated with the solid center rib? :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bump

·
Registered
205 Posts
bump
[/b]
Yeah, tire shopping here in The US is kinda difficult. There's loads of tire shops and web sites where you can buy tires but it is really hard to find articles where objective testing was done on good number of popular tires. Tirerack has done some testing and also collect customer opinions which is OK but far from scientific. And their winter tire tests were absolutely ridiculous - done in a hockey rink because they could not find a proper test track or place. :rofl2:

In Finland for example, during spring all car magazines publish a new test of summer tires. Then before winter they have winter tire tests there. The most respectable publications actually have access to proper test tracks with all the measurement gear there is for tire testing. The same test facilities are used by the biggest tire companies too, many of them develop their winter tires partly in northern Finland. Well, buying a tire is as easy as this: Get the two biggest car magazines, check their test results, pick 3-4 best in test tires and then go bargain hunting.

Consumer Reports also has had some tests but those were not too convincing either. What is most curious is that in this land where the concept of advertising was invented and has been taken the furthest, tire dealers cannot convince people that (if they live anywhere north of Texas) two sets of tires is the safest way to go. All season tires are just too full of various compromises to work well under any kind of conditions. Well, some performance AS tires maybe pretty good for summer since they are practically summer tires with M+S marking and slightly rougher thread pattern.

Then there are those confusing mileage warranties. IMO, a tire that has 80000 mile warranty is very suspicious and I would never touch one with a ten foot pole. To last that much driving on these roads, the rubber compound needs to be ridiculously hard = no grip. :dunno:

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, we ended up getting the Cooper CS4's. I'll post some updates/reviews of them as we go along. We put about 150 miles on them yesterday and they did really well on dry roads. Very quiet and rode very comfortably. They look pretty good too with the design on the sidewalls. We are expecting rain and snow over the next couple of days so I'll report more then :)

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know this is an old topic but I said I would post an update so here it is. Put the Coopers on in December 2007. Got them replaced today with less than 25,000 miles of wear out of them (I believe they were at about 3/32nds). As far as handling and traction, they were great, even in snow. In the end though, paying a little over $500 for a set of tires that last less than 25,000 kinda sux :( BTW these were the T rated. I looked again for reviews on these tires last night and they are few and far between. Most people love how they are when they first put them on, as did I. No one reports about the wear though...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts