Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really need some help! Have a 1994 GL 3.0 gas and the cooling fan will not come on when the car gets up to temperature. It DOES work when the A/C is engaged, at both speeds. A/C off-fan goes off after a few minutes.

Have replaced IRCM (twice) with re-built, Temp Sensor (old one tested good). Have tried to trace wiring and re-run the ground to the body. Car runs great but overheats!!!

I am at a loss and the Haynes IRCM wiring diagram is not accurate, so if any of you guys have any ideas, they would sure be welcome.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
There should be a separate sending unit for the instrument cluster and for the cooling fan switch. Make sure you have power and a return signal for the fan switch/sender.

·
Super Moderator
8,863 Posts
^^^^^^ I am 99% sure the engine needs to be running for this test to work. At least thats the way it works on my 88 Turbo Coupe.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just a Thank You to all that answered my request. When the sensor was disconnected, the fan blew!!!!!

I purchased a new sensor and will replace as soon as I can find the time.

Thanks, again.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Cooling fan issue

FWIW, double check the fan motor itself. Could have a short or something in it. A long time ago, my '88 G1 Bull would like to overheat, I finally traced it to a bad fan motor when FORD could not find any problems!! :unsure:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Temp gauge questions

My fan problem has been resolved thanks to your help, but there my be other issues. The coolant temp gauge fluctates from dead center to 2/3's and back while driving in stop and go traffic. This is with and without A/C on. Is this normal?
I am hyper-sensitive because the car has boiled over on my daughter (when fan went out) and I want to make sure that there won't be repeat performance. My Jeep gauge stays at dead center.

P S. I did replace the temp gauge sensor already.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
My fan problem has been resolved thanks to your help, but there my be other issues. The coolant temp gauge fluctates from dead center to 2/3's and back while driving in stop and go traffic. This is with and without A/C on. Is this normal?
I am hyper-sensitive because the car has boiled over on my daughter (when fan went out) and I want to make sure that there won't be repeat performance. My Jeep gauge stays at dead center.

P S. I did replace the temp gauge sensor already.

Thanks
With the coolant temp fluctuating around, it sounds like a sticking thermostat, so if it hasn't been changed in a while, put it on your suspect list.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same thing happened to me on my 95. It's a fairly easy fix and once it's done you should see the gauge stay down around the 1/4 mark.

Be warned, there's a lot of wires and other stuff around the thermostat housing and it took me about 3 hours to do since I flushed the system and checked some other stuff too. If you have the factory clamps on the hoses, think about replacing those little buggers too and to be on the safe side replace the hoses while you are at it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.