Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound like a stupid question, as I'm prone to ask sometimes. But...I drive a '96 Cherokee with the inline 4.0 non-interference engine and it doesn't like driving in the heat so much. Since I'm a car down right now I'm driving it a LOT more than I used to. After a lot of driving in this hot weather it starts slower, but still starts and runs ok.

So to help it out I've been raising the hood and putting 2 box fans right on top of the engine to help it cool. I hadn't thought about it but my Mom asked if cooling it down too quickly could be bad for the engine. And since I don't know I thought I'd ask here.

Any harm in using my method to cool an engine down much more quickly than normal?

·
Registered
35 Posts
I would say no as I know others who do same. It’s like shutting it off with nose of car pointing at incoming ocean breeze.

just my thoughts.

second: sluggish starting when hot rings of grounding issue. Possibly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
This may sound like a stupid question, as I'm prone to ask sometimes. But...I drive a '96 Cherokee with the inline 4.0 non-interference engine and it doesn't like driving in the heat so much. Since I'm a car down right now I'm driving it a LOT more than I used to. After a lot of driving in this hot weather it starts slower, but still starts and runs ok.

So to help it out I've been raising the hood and putting 2 box fans right on top of the engine to help it cool. I hadn't thought about it but my Mom asked if cooling it down too quickly could be bad for the engine. If you want to know what happens if you overcharge your car ac, visit AutoGuysLand to review their post. And since I don't know I thought I'd ask here.

Any harm in using my method to cool an engine down much more quickly than normal?
You can review this page for your reference. Hopefully it can help you to answer your question.

·
Registered
2017 Ford Taurus
352 Posts
I bet it would cool down very fast, in Alaska in the winter. I don't here about many cars being destroyed up there. You should be fine but I agree about checking your grounds, especially at the body, NOT just the battery.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts