Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, while on vacation this week I hit a large red fox. It cracked the lower part of the bumper up some. I bent the power steering cooling tube the transmission cooling tube, and the air conditioning radiator.

The best price I can find online for the PS cooler tube is $48.12. I could not find any information at all on the transmission cooling tube at all. The bumper isn't bad, I think I am just going to glue it back for now since it is underneith and isn't very noticable.

By the way I hit the fox at around 40 MPH. :angry: It looked around 20-30 pounds so it was pretty big for a fox. This is the first time I smoked the tires while braking with ABS.
If anyone has any info on the transmission cooling line that is right next to the PS cooling line let me know. Both lines are only flowing about 50% and I already drove 500 miles like this. I need to fix this ASAP in florida's hot weather.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Where in Fl do you live in? If I I had this problem I'd go to a junkyard probably you could find it there. I ask you where in FL you are since I live in Miami and I've been at the junkyard this past week for a couple of time. I've seen a lot of Taurus/Sable with the whole engine so I'm pretty sure they have what you need. If something I could get it for you.

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Frank I am in Fort Lauderdale. I visited a few of the u-pull-it places around here and they don't have the newer cars. About 6 months ago I went down to all the junk yards in Hieleah and they all wanted outragious prices for things or they didn't sell the parts, even though the parts was on the car. If you see anything let me know where and what they have.

Things I need are:
transmission cooling tube
PS cooling tube
glove box light
passanger side secondary visor, parchment only offered on Gen IV SEL
trunk lid liner
trim panel for the top of the trunk
Black bumper cover, front- if I can afford it at this time

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well yeah, in Hialeah some of the junkyard are selling stuff too expensive, even for the Tauruses. I will check around this week and try going to the one I bought the Gen.4 rims from. The owner of the junkyard I bought the rims its one of my friend's family member, so if I find what you need I am pretty sure he will sell it to me at a reasonable price though. I'll see what I can do for you ... I hope I might find everything.

Frank

B

·
0 Posts
First, an off topic comment: This, folks, is what we are here for, to help one another! There's not many clubs you can go to where a total stranger will help out another.

Now onto your issue on the cooling tube:

You may not be able to look up just the trans cooler tube because they come as a complete unit, with the ps tube and trans tube welded to a set of brackets. Worst case scenario, go to the dealer and tell him what you need, then ask to see an image of it, to make sure you're getting the correct part. It'll be important to hold onto your wallet at this point. Maybe even leave it in the car. :p

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I went to a few junk yards today around me and I had no luck. I saw a 96' that only had the ps tube and the tranny tube was no where to be found, I guess they didn't have it on that year. I then saw a 97' that had it and it was as smashed as mine was. There were loads of Gen I's and II's as usual. There was one SHO I think it was a 92. The heads were ripped off the engine already aswell as most of the interior. Those sexy seats were still there though. I looked at a 87' Bueik Reatta that had a full digital dash including large screen, maybe 6x8 in the center of the dash. Kinda cool for an 87'. I met a guy looking for a radiator for an 89' I think it was. I told him about the club, so maybe he will be on soon. Anyways I am still looking for parts.
:(

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Anyone else see these anywhere or should I try to straiten them out and hope they don't split. It is the transmission that I am worried about getting the proper amount of oil with it like this.

B

·
0 Posts
They'll split if you try to bend them back. I don't see this hurting flow to a point that you should be extremely worried about it though. It definitely needs to be replaced, but you can drive the car in the meantime.

I know there's no Gen 4's near me, but I can see if there's anything good on the Gen 3's next time I go to the yard. That most likely won't be for a couple weeks though...

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I went to some other junkyard in Hialeah and there was one I saw a G.4 Taurus but the engine was gone. Do you know if that trans tube from a G.3 Taurus will fit in yours? I ask because I saw a Taurus that has almost everything but it was rear ended in the trunk really bad.

Frank.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not sure if they are the same or not. The only thing that would really matter is if the fitting goes on or not. Some years on the Gen III only had one tube. All Gen IV's have both the PS and the Transmission coolers on it. I would be willing to try it though as it would be way cheaper than the stealership. Like Bob mentioned before, both are connected together. Frank, just let me know which yard has it and how much it should be. Thanks. BTW, I am going to be very, very busy at work and it will be hard for me to get down there this week. Most yards close at 5 pm.

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
There are 5 96-97 tauru's and 1 98 at my salvage yard...I could get the part probably dirt cheap. I'm in southern new york, if you need it I am more than willing to grab one and ship it to you. (I'm guessing 10 bucks sence they dont even list it on the price sheet) PM me. Make sure the Gen 3 one will work :)

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
I went to American, they have the Taurus and a Black Gen.3 Sable, I didn't ask for the year though. I am going probably on Thursday around 3 or so, I just wanted to make sure if that tube would fit in yours but I'll find out if it will work or not and I'll give you a price for it.

Frank.

·
Registered
135 Posts
here in ohio there is a huge junk yard - deer creek 614-221-5698,
or even try car-parts.com (check spelling) or e-bay & even google/auto parts.
too bad it wasn't a small fox, about 5' 2" 120 lbs, red hair, w/38's, hitchiking
would have been much less damaging to your car and perhaps you
would have enjoyed the ride much better. sorry just had to put
that in, good luck finding your parts, if i see them at a yard i'll let you know.
regards,,,dave

·
Registered
222 Posts
Just wondering if there is a diameter difference in the power steering cooler verses the transmission cooler? would it be possible to pull a used PS cooler and use it as a trans cooler on a different car?

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have not a clue on what the diameter is on these pipes. As soon as Frank finds out what is there and the price I will see where I am at. Thanks for the help so far though guys. I really miss putting my foot on the peddle lately. I have been only taking up to 4,000 RPMS tops. I know the fluid pressure is controlled by the RPMs and I don't wan't to burst a line anywhere. You never know. Once I get the cooling tubes fixed, I will take the bumper cover off and glue where it is broken. It is basically split on the bottom part where there are the holes. I have like 5 or so splits, but the entire bumper is holding together perfectly though. This is some amazing plastic. I got one little scratch underneith the bumper and that is it. Talk about good paint. :banana:

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Hey I found the transmission tube and power steering in a Gen.4 Sable. I couldn't find the other stuff besides to the trans. tube and power steering. It cost me 20 so I don't mind giving it to you free. If something give me a call at (305) 388-7269 so we can meet somewhere and give it to you. I'll try to look and find other stuff probably tomorrow. I couldn't look anymore today since I had to do a lo of things. Your Taurus its a tec right?

Frank

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks a ton Frank!
I am super super busy tomorrow as I am working a 15 hour day. I wil call you sometime on Monday and maybe I can meet you and pick it up. As for the other parts, those I have been looking for since I bought the car and found out all that was deleted for 03'. Not near as important as the part you found. Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
1,101 Posts
Well yeah, just call me when you have a free time and I'll be glad to go somewhere and meet you. If you call at that phone I gave you and no one answers then you could call me to my cell phone anytime which its (305) 479-0725. Regarding in helping you finding the stuff I don't mind doing it since when I always needed help regarding to a problem, someone in here were always willing to help me out so if someone needs help I'll be glad in helping them with no problems. Anyway ... just give me a call when you have some free time.

Frank

1 - 19 of 19 Posts