Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

My son has a 2002 Taurus. The vehicle was overheating and the temperature gauge would spike after a short drive and the coolant would boil over and leak out through the top of the overflow container even though the cap was still in place.

I replaced the thermostat and that did not help the situation.

I then changed out the radiator. Once I changed the radiator I no longer get any indication of a cooling problem from the gauge. The gauge starts out below “C” and then gradually reaches about the midpoint as I am driving along. However while driving I can smell hot coolant and at times I also get the condition where the coolant boils out through top of the coolant recovery tank (I think that is the proper term) when I stop even though the cap is still on. Even when it does not boil over I can see that it is quite hot. Because of this I have only been taking short test drives because I am concerned about damaging something.

I checked the hoses that I accessed while changing the radiator and can find no leakage.

After changing the radiator I filled the recovery tank with 50/50 coolant to the cold fill level. Was there something else I should have done with the new coolant? Is there another fill location that I can't find?

The only thing I have not put back after the radiator swap out was the plastic valance beneath because I am thinking I may still need access underneath to figure out what is going on.

As you can probably tell I am something of a novice at this so any and all ideas and/or suggestions would be appreciated. I just can’t figure out why the coolant would be boiling out yet the temp gauge says we are rolling along nicely.

·
Registered
697 Posts
The pressure cap of the degas tank is known as being a weak point, especially if it is old or an after-market part. Try replacing that first.

Overflowing when turning off the engine means that the system is not staying pressurized.

·
Registered
52 Posts
+1 on the overflow bottle cap

When a system is properly pressurized, the boiling point of your coolant is greatly increased.

Since the taurus has no cap on the radiator, its most likely the cap on the degasser / overflow bottle. (or some other leak in the system)

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Fine cracks on the bottom of the degas tank have also been found to be a cause of boil over. Do not use a replacement tank made or distributed by Dorman. They are junk.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Folks,

Thanks all for your replies. I have a new Motorcraft cap on the way from Rockauto. Hopefully that does it. I will update the thread once I give it a whirl.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts