Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
Just wanted to get an opinion from everyone. I'm coming up on 1 year since my last flush (did it myself when some parts had to be replaced - including degauss tank). I let the radiator flush sit in the system for about 1/2 a day.

The system is looking brownish again, but that's to be expected with the iron block Vulcan engine. It's coming up to winter time and want to backflush the newer heater core that went in a year ago.

So, the question is. How long can I run the Flushing agents in the system? What kind/brand of flush is best?

I know only to use distilled water. My thoughts right now are:
1) drain system.
2) Back flush core (using the Clinton method with garden hose). Getting as much of the tap water out of the core as possible.
3) Fill system with Distilled water and cleaning agent
4) drain system again
5) fill with 60/40 solution of antifreeze (60% antifreeze since some distilled will be left after the drain in step 4)

Whatcha all think?

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
I would fill with distilled after step 4 and drain again.

I usually mix mine at 50/50, make 1.5 gallons of that and add the remaining 1/2 gallon of 100% to the system first when refilling or use it to make a 70/30 mix to use first.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks SHOZ,
I was thinking of doing one more flush with Distilled but wasn't sure that was overkill.

It is amazing how dirty these systems get! I guess it's just going to be that way for the remainder of the life of that block.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I've changed coolant in many iron block engines and only had rusty conditions when neglected by previous/ignorant owners. It's the additives (anti-rust, corrosion protection) that have a finite lifespan, the glycol never wears out.

·
Registered
23,632 Posts
^+1. Thats why they used to call it permanent antifreeze. The antifreeze property (glycol) never wore out, just the additive package. That reputation is probably why so many people neglect the cooling system today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts