Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, all...

Please accept my apologies in advance if this has been covered here... I'm in the process of moving, and I'm so short on time that I didn't have time to research this before posting...

Anyhow... 1998 SE, 3.0 V6 Vulcan OHV, 141K...

Driving from work to rehearsal this evening, I noticed that the temperature was fluctuating between higher-than-normal and normal, and I had no heat inside the car. The temp never got up into the danger zone. Most of that drive, a short 6-mile drive, was highway with stop lights (hurry up and race to the next red light), and then city driving for a couple miles. During the highway drive, the temperature remained lower and more stable than it did during the city drive portion (as might be expected).

When I got to the studio, I checked the coolant reservoir and noted that the fluid level appeared normal. The oil's a normal color and right where it's supposed to be. The car drove normally. I did notice a slight coolant smell in the engine compartment.

When I finished rehearsal, I checked under the car for leaks and found none. I drove the car home... 2-3 miles city driving, then 20 miles highway. Same symptoms as before to start, but when I got to the highway, there would be occasional periods of slight heating (not normal amounts of heat) with better temperature regulation.

I'm not sure what's going on here... does this sound like a thermostat problem, or does it sound like the beginning of something more serious?

Many thanks in advance,
Sean

PS Another strange thing that started about 2 weeks ago is that my left-rear power window does not work anymore. Thank goodness it stopped working when it was closed...

J

·
0 Posts
Sounds like your heater core is plugged up. I had almost an identical issue on my 99 SE. First step would be to take the car to a place that can do a backflush on your cooling system and change out the fluid. If you have any of the Valvoline Instant Oil Change places around you, their flushing system seems to be pretty good. But just about anyplace that has a "flushing machine" should help. If that doesn't work, post again and we can go from there... :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had the flush and coolant replacement done... the flushed coolant looked pretty bad. Surprising because I had just put new coolant in about 5 month ago. Last flush that I had done was about 2 years ago.

Anyhow, after the flush, everything seems stable temperature-wise. I'll keep a close eye on it over the next week or two and report back. Thanks Jason.

Sean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts